Kurtyboy's project updates: 24 July - More blasters

Re: Working on some more props: 25 Nov Endor A280 V3

Cheers dudes.

Got some new friends in the house (well, in the garage soon to be converted into a home cinema):
mannis3.jpg

These were listed for sale as being 5'10" but when I got them delivered I found out they are actually 6'2". A$$holes!!!

So I've chopped 4" off one of them. I was worried it would throw the proportions off, but to be honest I think they were all off to begin with! I'm sure they will look fine once costumed.
mannis2.jpg

You'll probably recognize them now...
mannis1.jpg

Re: Working on some more props: 26 Nov - Some new friends

Fixl them on the wall...this puppets are very instable with heavy armor on them.;)

Did you feel a little Dexter-ish laying them down and picking up a saw...

He's actually the perfect height for a stormtrooper at 5' 10" ;)

Shouldn't need to fix them to the wall, they are fiberglass and stand up pretty sturdily when leaning against the wall, but I may use the bases which attach to the calf.

I definitely felt something while sawing this guy's butt off!!!

Re: Working on some more props: 28 Nov - Another new friend!

Building another new friend! Had a lot of help from Warrenhouck which is much appreciated.

3p01.jpg

3p02.jpg

Awesome! Made of vacuum plated metal? Are you building the whole guy?

Dude, you´re talking to kurtyboy, one of or maybe even THE most dedicated Star Wars prop-builder and collector.
OF COURSE he´ll build the full setup :cool

Markus

I've had the whole fiberglass TK409 kit for so long now I can't remember how long ago I bought it. 6 or 7 years maybe? It's been in storage since returning from the vacuum metalizing place. I used VMC who told me they plated some of the original costumes among lots of other film work.

Now that I've seen all the parts together I'm extremely disappointed. They offered a small and a large kit and I asked for whatever is Anthony Daniels size. So it looks like I got the small kit but it seems to be made for someone who is SHORT rather than SMALL. Not so noticeable in the torso and arms but the legs are way too short compared to the original costume. Anthony Daniels was slim but he wasn't that​ short!

I'm going to have to compromise by raising the legs a few inches, raising the shorts a few inches and leaving gaps between the ankles and shins and between the thighs and the shorts.

Dude, you´re talking to kurtyboy, one of or maybe even THE most dedicated Star Wars prop-builder and collector.
OF COURSE he´ll build the full setup :cool

Markus

:) That's right. :thumbsup Hardly looking forward to seeing this finished.
Wow that golden beauty so long in storage.. Glad you dig him out:) I love such shiny props:popcorn

Re: Working on some more props: 6 Dec - More saber upgrades and C3P0 progress

Upgraded my Luke ANH hero saber with one of Roy's highly recommended d-rings.
lukeanh1.jpg

Created flat rivets for my ESB saber by filing normal ones down, but will upgrade to real flat ones soon.
lukeesb4.jpg

And finally finished my new Holiday Special saber. Had a lot of help from NeoRutty. :thumbsup
holidaysaber25.jpg

holidaysaber22.jpg

holidaysaber23.jpg

holidaysaber26.jpg

holidaysaber20.jpg

holidaysaber21.jpg

Made a lot of progress on C3P0. Once it was all assembled it became clear that the legs are too short. With him standing at the correct height of 5'11" (Daniels was 5'9" plus 2" for the top of the helmet) there is too much space between the torso and shorts, even more than seen here if the neck was the correct length.
3p03.jpg

So I attached the shorts/thighs/shins together with velcro so there are a few inches between the shins and feet and between the shorts and thighs and hot glued hooks into the shorts onto which the suspenders attach. This is similar to what was done on the original costumes, with the 'belly pistons' disguising the suspenders. Now the whole leg assemblies are suspended off the ground making the legs look longer.
3p04.jpg

3p05.jpg

These are the solid 'display hands' I was originally going to go with but I didn't really like them.
3p08.jpg

Instead I'm going with the wearable hand pieces which are more like what was seen in ANH and Chronicles.
3p012.jpg

I'm now using the arms from an old poseable mannequin I had so the fingers are poseable.
3p06.jpg

I will eventually add the missing gold squares and wires to the palms of the black cotton gloves.
3p07.jpg

ANH/Chronicles style elbow test using gold foil.
3p09.jpg

ESB/RotJ test with black cotton bodysuit and wires.
3p010.jpg

Decisions, decisions, but I'm leaning towards ANH.
3p011.jpg

Forgot about these. I've replaced the machined 'cone knob' with an original Michell part but still need to get it metalised (it's just painted with clear yellow at the moment). I'm going to have to get the shins re-plated anyway once I install new smaller hinges.

The restraining bolt is one of the accurate replicas from Chris Reiff.
3p013.jpg

Hmmmm do like the black backing on the holiday Saber... Not sue I'll change mine up, but looks sharp. I'll have to consider!

Re: Working on some more props: 10 Dec - Luke smashes his head!

Had an accident with my JRX Luke bust/mannequin torso while taking it out of storage. It fell and landed on the side of it's head which smashed into about 8 pieces. I glued what I could back together but some bits shattered so I filled those in. Filled the cracks and tried to carve some hair detail back in.

I'm so glad it didn't land face first!
lukesmash1.jpg

Brushed on some primer...
lukesmash2.jpg

Also took the opportunity to finally seamlessly join the bust to the mannequin torso as I used to have to keep the shirt closed up enough to hide the join.
lukesmash3.jpg

After a few passes of filling/sanding and priming...
lukesmash4.jpg

The bust was originally painted for me by Thad Rhodes and he very kindly supplied four shades of flesh tone. They've been in storage for nearly ten years so had gone a bit lumpy! He suggested I apply them with a sponge starting from the darkest and working up to the lightest so I'm no painter but I gave it a shot!
lukesmash5.jpg

lukesmash7.jpg

lukesmash8.jpg

Final shade. It's close but not perfect. Should look fine once he has his shirt on.
lukesmash9.jpg

And the hair...
lukesmash6.jpg

With a little luck I'll have my garage converted early next year and I'll finally be able to display all my lifesizes!

This is quite the collection going... holy.

I love the 3PO! I hope you have an R2 also... ;)

The Luke bust looks like you won't be able to tell it broke once you touch it up.

I'm curious how you display your sabers... I'm finally getting the media room of my dreams, and the sabers need a place. YOU have tons of em, any interesting ways?

I would like to do a wall rack, where I can put little plaques under stating which saber... but I've never seen a really well done wall display. Everyone uses the step racks on shelves...

If the luke bust landed on his face then you could have turned it into a Holiday Special Luke.

What? Too soon? :wacko

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back