Kurtyboy's project updates: 24 July - More blasters

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Walrusman blaster (or Ponda Baba as he became known as later!) received a new more accurate grip (thanks Markus!) and more accurate scope ring.
nuwalrus1.jpg

Old grip:
oldwalrus.jpg

Finally finished my Jabba guards' blaster.
nujabba1.jpg

And worked on my Greedo blaster. All greeblies are original parts.
nugreedo1.jpg

nugreedo2.jpg

And upgraded several parts on my Blader Runner blaster, wired up the electronics, and stamped the serial number on the frame.
nupkd1.jpg

nupkd2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Been working on some (mostly) Star Wars blasters

NIIIIICE :)

how did you get your hands on the correct tonearm connectors???

Markus

Re: Been working on some (mostly) Star Wars blasters

What he said! That Jabba's Palace is a beaut! I mean, they all are, but I have a major soft spot for the JPB.

Project updates 5 July 2017 - RS armor assembly begins.

Upgraded some some of my old lightsabers recently.

Luke ESB Bespin got upgraded with Gino t-track, the rest of the parts are real.
bespin1.jpg

bespin2.jpg

Luke Holiday Special had keychain and some details added plus grips upgraded from Blast-Tech to Marv's. It's possible the grips on the original prop weren't even t-track.
holidaysaber1.jpg

holidaysaber2.jpg

holidaysaber3.jpg

Vader ESB hero got upgraded with Gino t-track, the rest of the parts are real. I don't have the heart to remove the MPP name plate!
vaderhero1.jpg

vaderhero2.jpg

vaderhero3.jpg

vaderhero4.jpg

Vader ESB/RotJ stunt received a major overhaul:

Blast-Tech t-track replaced with Gino's
Holes drilled in Graflex bottom
Brass disc added to base (need to paint it silver)
Ball latch replaced with one that doesn't have a logo stamped on it
Resin control box replaced with machined aluminium Obi1Kenny part
Cylinders in control box replaced with countersunk slotted screws with black stickers over the heads
Parks D-ring bracket replaced with real one
Furniture hex screw in glass eye port replaced with tire valve
White PVC tube added inside to hold both halves together (this is visible in the rectangular opening and under the tire valve on the original prop)

vaderstunt1.jpg

vaderstunt2.jpg

vaderstunt3.jpg

Threads visible in control box
vaderstunt4.jpg

PVC pipe visible in rectanular opening
vaderstunt5.jpg

The PVC pipe is what causes the tire valve to be off center
vaderstunt6.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades

So do you mean to tell us that you could drill tiny holes in the MPP endcap and chromed body, get rid of the actual MPP lever, cut one Exactra 20 bubble off ... yet you can not find it in your heart to remove the MPP brand logo, which sticks out like a sore thumb now after all those revisions?

- Note to self ... if Master Kurtyboy, a well known selftaught authority of screen-accurate star wars props, can leave his MPP logo on, then by Jolly Jove ... so can I - ;)

Nice upgrades ... by the way where's Luke's ROTJ MoM version? And as I suggested in other threads perhaps the x screws of Exactra calculators or some black x screws from VHS tapes would serve even better and more accurate for the size used in Luke's ESB grips?

storic-Visit-Original-Prop-Blog-081A-2_zps72caae68.jpg

Chaim

A couple of questions on your Vader Stunt..

You're tire valve looks good... what type did you end up using for it (looking for one myself). Also, how did you end up securing it in there? Was the PVC already the right diameter, or did yo uhave to cut it smaller?

And if by chance you had a shroud you swapped out on your Vader ROTJ, and are no longer using it, I would be happy to take it off your hands!

Nice Holiday saber btw... I like what you did with the control box!

I got my tire valve from Steve Day who first came up with the theory http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=165&page=3&p=6935&viewfull=1#post6935

I wish I knew what kind of valve it is so I could get more but even Steve doesn't know.

My tire valve is just secured by the PVC pipe pressing against it, which is what you can see on the original. Notice they also cut a flat side into the valve to hold it better (I didn't do this on mine because my first attempt was a disaster!)

tube1a.jpg

I only had two Exactra screws but I found a few that were pretty close in size.

degobahsaber4.jpg

And here's WIP that should give you a big clue as to which saber I'm doing next!
lukehand1.jpg

I guess I haven't looked too extensively into the different ESB variations. I'm worried if I do, that I'll need one of each.

I'm assuming by the hand, that your next saber is an ESB one, and not one of the two that you have already shown above.

Since the image above the hand is the one at the ranch, and the one near the top of the page is Bespin, I don't have a guess.... heh.

I got my tire valve from Steve Day who first came up with the theory http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=165&page=3&p=6935&viewfull=1#post6935

I wish I knew what kind of valve it is so I could get more but even Steve doesn't know.

My tire valve is just secured by the PVC pipe pressing against it, which is what you can see on the original. Notice they also cut a flat side into the valve to hold it better (I didn't do this on mine because my first attempt was a disaster!)

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/tube1a.jpg
Is that the same as a valve on a bicycle?

Any chance you are in work to get the correct tunnel scope made for your DL-18? My air gun came with the same version you have too:

IMG_1899.jpg

Marcus was able to hook me up with a casting but I sort of mangled it up fitting it with the other parts. I was able to salvage it but I would like ultimately to replace it.

I thought if you or someone else machines or prints an accurate model, I too would be interested in getting a replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 435

Stunning collection! :)
I personally love the look of the Ponda Baba Blaster and especially your and Markus version. :thumbsup
The Greedo Blaster is also a top notch here. So impressive and rare parts, too. Amazing.
Your MPP..I would love to have one. Good catch on yours.

Great stuff, I never thought I'd want a holiday special lightsaber but that is very nice!

The attention to detail on the Vader ROTJ is amazing! Either there have been a few discoveries since the last one I built, or I just didn't do my homework, because I had no idea about the stickers/screws on the box, the tire valve (I had a OB1Kenny machined part) or the PVC. I love it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back