Kurtyboy's project updates: 24 July - More blasters

Re: Working on some more props: 6 Nov: Another Endor A280 in the works

A bit work on some more parts today. Top shrouds shaped, front sight and magazine cut down and tabs added to under barrel piece.
endora28012.jpg

endora28013.jpg

endora28014.jpg

I'm so reduced to amateur status now. You guys have done like three a piece to my unfinished one. :lol Did you ever figure out what that round piece is on the front of the scope shroud?

It was custom machined by the prop department to resemble the piece on the ESB version (Which may have been a found part). They used both black and white derlin and they weren't all identical. Ours are also machined from black derlin so as near to screen accurate as you can get.

I'm so reduced to amateur status now. You guys have done like three a piece to my unfinished one. :lol Did you ever figure out what that round piece is on the front of the scope shroud?

Yet another A280 in the works, the ESB version (or at least one of them, I plan on doing the other version as well). Base is a Denix STG44 which has a moving bolt and trigger which is nice.
hotha2801.jpg

hotha2802.jpg

Original:
hotha2804.jpg

It was custom machined by the prop department to resemble the piece on the ESB version (Which may have been a found part). They used both black and white derlin and they weren't all identical. Ours are also machined from black derlin so as near to screen accurate as you can get.

Ok I wanted to make sure. The way I'm going, I'm about finished and someone will figure out what that part is!

How was your Denix when you got it? I remember OdiWan saying his had a bent barrel.

Re: Working on some more props: 7 Nov: My fourth Rebel A280 in the works

My Denix was fine when I got it. Trying to decide if I want to buy another to do the long ammo version or to just use a resin casting...

Got an upgrade for my hero macrobinoculars. Got one of Cameron' really nice mystery boxes. I finished it up and painted it before deciding to replace the small holes with screws because that's just what I'm seeing. I think the bright spots are highlights on the screw heads and not holes. I went for vintage BA screws with rounded heads instead of pan heads (the two pan heads at the back will be replaced as soon as more vintage screws arrive).

macrosupgrade3.jpg

macrosupgrade2.jpg

macrosupgrade4.jpg

Also finished the control box for my Holiday Special lightsaber. I cut the tube about 1cm shorter than a Graflex because again, that's what I'm seeing.
holidaysaber19.jpg

Re: Working on some more props: 7 Nov: My 4th Rebel A280 + saber and macros upgrades

Very nice. I enjoy checking in everyday to see the latest work you put into your collection. :thumbsup

- Andy

Re: Working on some more props: 7 Nov: My 4th Rebel A280 + saber and macros upgrades

Cheers. I've been on a roll recently as I've been off work recovering from surgery. Unfortunately I have to go back to work on Monday so the updates will slow... then a few weeks later I'll start back at the gym and they will slow even more. It was fun while it lasted though, I've done more prop work in the past month than I have in the last three years!

Very nice. I enjoy checking in everyday to see the latest work you put into your collection. :thumbsup

- Andy

How did you go about the arrows on the side? I tried cutting stencils, and they are a *little* off... no one seems to notice but me... but I spend 10 years as a final line artist and the .02 of a millimeter off drives me friggin crazy.

Love the control box, btw.

My thread is going to have to take a break as I'm waiting to go to Seattle to do a bit of work. A lot of what I have to do now is all paint and glue... something my wife and daughter whine and complain about when I try and do it in our small condo.

so I have to live vicariously through this thread!

I cut the arrows out of black electrical tape. Placed the tape onto the backing from some random paper labels so I could draw out the arrow shapes on the back of the paper, cut them out and peel them off. Real hi-tech stuff!

How did you go about the arrows on the side? I tried cutting stencils, and they are a *little* off... no one seems to notice but me... but I spend 10 years as a final line artist and the .02 of a millimeter off drives me friggin crazy.

Love the control box, btw.

My thread is going to have to take a break as I'm waiting to go to Seattle to do a bit of work. A lot of what I have to do now is all paint and glue... something my wife and daughter whine and complain about when I try and do it in our small condo.

so I have to live vicariously through this thread!

Re: Working on some more props: 12 Nov: Not four but five Rebel A280s!

A lot less spare time on my hands now but got a few more parts almost done. These are the extensions for the back of the STG44 as seen on some ESB blasters. The short one is for IG88's blaster and the tall one is for a variant of the A280. These were cut and shaped from MDF - not one of my best skills!. The tall one still needs the taper added and some refining. Once screwed onto the back of the STG44s the seams and recessed areas will be filled.

hotha2805.jpg

hotha2806.jpg

hotha2807.jpg

hotha2808.jpg

And these are the sling hooks for the Prop Strore Endor A280. The black one is the original Jackal AR7 sling hook but I was unable to get more of them.
endora28015.jpg

Re: Working on some more props: 12 Nov: Not four but five Rebel A280s!

Started working on the Shrouds for the Calico SR2 blaster. Using templates provided by my German brother Markus (who else!).

Basic shape cut from sheet styrene held together with tape, superglue and a little epoxy on the inside.
calico1b.jpg

Filled with sculpting epoxy and pressed onto the profile of the Calico.
calico2.jpg

calico3.jpg

calico4.jpg

A bit messy but should clean up nicely all going well!
calico6.jpg

calico5.jpg

Re: Working on some more props: 15 Nov Calico SR2 shrouds

and again...TOLD YOU SO!
I knew you can do it, with all the skills that you teached yourself during the VR build. Looking forward to your progress :)

glad to be part of so many of your props :)
only one more half of the schermuly barrel mold to pour, then I just have to make the mold support and can start casting!!!

Hoth rifle sideplates and shrouds, naboo fins and of course the schermuly kit...so keen on seeing if my mold setup works properly :wacko

keep the pic coming!!!

Markus

Re: Working on some more props: 15 Nov Calico SR2 shrouds

Cheers Markus, couldn't do it without you.

Working on tidying up the shrouds now. Coming on very well. Of course I still have the third one to do which is a bit more complex.
calico7.jpg

calico8.jpg

calico9.jpg

As soon as the primer dries I can do another round of cleanup...

Re: Working on some more props: 21 Nov Endor A280 V3

Calico shrouds are almost done. Still not happy with some seams being slightly visible.

Since I'm using a standard M16 casting for my latest Endor blaster, I got some lasercut washers to emulate the look of the MGC's delta ring. Not perfect but a big improvement.
endora28016.jpg

Re: Working on some more props: 21 Nov Endor A280 V3

That looks really good! If you hadn't said so I would have just figured you sanded the black off.

Re: Working on some more props: 25 Nov Endor A280 V3

A bit more work. Had the resin scope bored out to match the original prop but I completely failed to tap holes in the inner steel tube with hand tools so stuck for the moment. Also need a machinist to do some mods to the MGC barrel/front sight as steel is beyond me!
endora28017.jpg

endora28018.jpg

endora28019.jpg

endora28020.jpg

Dude, you obviously love the smell of freshly applied primer in the morning looking great!
Btw.. Don't need the lasercut discs as I have a spare MGC upper

Markus

:lol

your stuff will be shipped next week.
AND we´ll have to chat about the Calico scopes...might have a plan for having these done ;)

Markus

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back