BanDai Star Wars models...

It definitely is not cheap, but consider the size...over 3 feet. If you were to scratch build one the same size, there would be several kitbash kits that will be needed. Even if you were to make moulds of most of the pieces necessary, you could easily go to $1000.00 worth of donor kits and most likely more. Then there is all of the other costs of materials,
Mind you, there is nothing more satisfying than creating something from scratch that hundreds of hours went into.

TazMan2000

I just want one that is in scale with the Venator.

X-Wing, Vader's Tie, Vader and Stormtrooper up for pre-order on HLJ, $20 for each plus shipping.

Bandai does some insanely detailed model kits, mostly the high end Gundam mechs, so I'm not surprised that they're giving Star Wars alot of love. I'm not sure how common kits from the series are in Japan so it could be they know that this is a moneymaker and want to go all out.

Does somebody know the size of the 1:72 scale tie-fighter from Bandai?
If the studio model is 1:24 scale than for example the 1:72 scale Fine Molds tie-fighter is more in the range of 1:96 scale. So (in my opinion), if the Bandai-kit is really in 1:72 scale it should be larger (about 33% taller) than the Fine Molds-kit.

I love Star Wars kits as much as the next guy but why do they keep doing the same subjects over and over again? Another X-wing, Tie fighter, why not break the mold and do subjects from the original trilogy that have never been done, from Episode III: The Blockade runner, the Escape Pod, Sand crawler and finally a 1/48 scale Y-Wing!!! From Episode IV: Imperial Probe droid, Super Star Destroyer, Tie Bomber, Bespin Sky cars and the Medical Frigate. From Episode V: Admiral Ackbar's Ship.

I love Star Wars kits as much as the next guy but why do they keep doing the same subjects over and over again? Another X-wing, Tie fighter, why not break the mold and do subjects from the original trilogy that have never been done, from Episode III: The Blockade runner, the Escape Pod, Sand crawler and finally a 1/48 scale Y-Wing!!! From Episode IV: Imperial Probe droid, Super Star Destroyer, Tie Bomber, Bespin Sky cars and the Medical Frigate. From Episode V: Admiral Ackbar's Ship.

Add +I to all of your episode numbers.

Unless you simply refuse to acknowledge The Phantom Menace, like how Grandpa Simpson has a 49 star flag because he refuses to recognize Missouri...

But your point is taken. I, too, would love to see some new subjects as kits.

--Alex

Definitely, and it's good that they are sticking with 1/48, 1/72 and so forth. But if they do the SSD I hope it doesn't only come in a 1/1700 scale. :lol

TazMan2000

Because they are the new company with the license. They want to do the popular ships they know will sell. With the already diverse list of ships they have I would bet next year or so we will see a lot more of these other "whish list" ships, plus Episode VII stuff as well.

It must have been subconscious with the episode numbers because I didn't realize I had done that, I don't hate "The Phantom Menace" but it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the films.

If you think about it realistically, X-wings and Tie Fighters are the most iconic vehicles in the franchise

What company in their right mind would getting the Star Wars license and not release a kit of those?

This is also a chance to improve on what had come before by having a more accurately shaped fuselage for the x-wing, tie interior and detail etc.. plus a potentially truer 1/72 scale model vs the "not really quite 1/72" find molds releases

The 1/48 line, they are giving us something different as well with a motorized and lit X-wing

Plus they are already branching out from what came before by giving us a 1/48 AT/ST in early 2015 (a first for styrene kits)

After this first wave they can start branching out and hopefully we will finally see a proper styrene A-wing, B-wing and AT-AT in 1/48 or 1/72 (MPC's don't count since they are odd box scales and Revell's AT-AT was a disappointment accuracy wise in addition to being a close to but not 1/72 model)

Found high res images of the models. Those X-wing panel lines sure look thick, but maybe it's just a prototype build. The panel lines on the TIE fighter look just fine.

(Open X-wing image in new tab for higher res)
WAGWYul.jpg

exEfK0P.jpg

btw, what's up with the different noses for the x-wing?

The different noses represent the different noses that were used on the actual filming miniatures. They had a different subtle shape to them. Kudos to Bandai for noticing this and including this as an option in the kits, something no other company has done.

Found high res images of the models. Those X-wing panel lines sure look thick, but maybe it's just a prototype build. The panel lines on the TIE fighter look just fine.

part of the cause for the thick panel lines where the red stripes are on the fuselage is due to them being separately molded and installed parts instead of just scribed. May have to fill the gaps and rescribe. It depends on how it looks with a light panel line wash as well

It almost looks like the X-Wing may be a 3D printed prototype. You can see some "groves" on the side of the nose and on the inside edges of the cockpit frame. That could explain the big panel gaps. You can also see the same artifacts in a few areas on both bases as well.

It almost looks like the X-Wing may be a 3D printed prototype. You can see some "groves" on the side of the nose and on the inside edges of the cockpit frame. That could explain the big panel gaps. You can also see the same artifacts in a few areas on both bases as well.

That was one of my theories as well, because I noticed those grove artifacts. Why they wouldn't do a build up of the final injection modeled kit instead of a 3D prototype could be an issue of deadlines.

Good eye. I hope you're right.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back