BanDai Star Wars models...

Check this exploded X-Wing. Those are not two nose "halves", but two different noses! Look at the shape of the back edges. That is a definite first for any plastic X-Wing model! Plus, we get a standing and seated pilot, a 3 legged R2, and a ship mounted R2 with two different heads.

10629556_10152888001368072_5100823069181584083_n.jpg

Molded in color, too, it looks like. No surprise there, they do it for their Gundam models all the time. I hope they run more than two colors, though.

-MJ

- - - Updated - - -

I'm praying that's a separate canopy frame and glass.

Looks like a frame with separate windows to me.
As far as being molded in color, I'm not sure why people are getting in a tuff over this. Mike, not directed at you, but there have been some harsh comments made on other boards about this, just wanted to be clear. Why be concerned if the parts are molded in color? Don't 99.999% of us paint our models?

I'm actually in favor of parts molded in color. I'd like them to run an off-white for the basic color, and a cool gray for the cockpit frame and canopy, red (or blue) for the markings, maybe a few separate panels in mustard yellow or moss green....

I suck at painting, and if there is any chance I can get away with not painting something, I will go for it.

Conversely, parts molded in color will have to have their paint chipping effects painted on, in the opposite way we usually do paint chipping. Not sure how I feel about that....

I'd love to have a canopy frame with no glass. Finally. Why FM didn't do that is beyond me.

Obviously, parts molded in color is for the younger modelers, and it's something that has become normal in Gundam (and other) kits. Frankly, I think it adds production value. Look at it this way: Now you don't have to mask your stripes at all, you can just paint the whole piece.

I'm curious if they'll have the wing markings molded in color. I can't tell if that's the case from the photo. While the fuselage stripes are largely defined by panel lines, the wing markings aren't, so if you wanted to renumber your bird, you'd have to putty over the unused wing markings' panel lines....

Dying for some better photos. Come on, HLJ, inquiring minds want to know!

-MJ

There is a member on the SSM forum that will be going to show and taking better pics. I think he said tomorrow.

Not only a choice of noses, but R2 heads as well. Are the coloured parts supposed to be avionics equipment? If so, it doesn't look like it matches up with any kind of graphics I've seen of the internals of the X-wing. The proton torpedo tubes look like they are actually tubes and not just indents on the fuselage. I think Bandai will hit a home run with this.

TazMan2000

Didn't the 1/72 FM X-wings have your choice of R2 heads? And decals for like four birds? Don't know why they didn't carry that over into the 1/48... Though it probably would have tripled the cost of the decals...

It's a minor thing, but I like the engineering in some of the stands. It allows you to position the ship in different attitudes.

2824-682x1024.jpg

I got my Anigrand Star Destroyer but I'll go for that one!
I assume they would scale it down though. That is huge. The Anigrand scale is about all I can handle.

Anyone else notice that there's an injection mold spru in the BG of the exploded X-Wing that looks like the red parts are pre-painted rather than being on a separate tree molded in red plastic (which is what I've seen in the past with Bandai and other Japanese models). Might be that I'm just out of touch - haven't built a kit in a lonnnnnnggggg time, but I certainly never got one where just a section of the tree was pre-painted. That said... Damn, that's a kit that might actually drag me back into building plastic models in the near future (otherwise I've got a crate of SF3D kits that I'm saving for my "retirement years").

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back