Blade Runner .38 Cal Detective Special Blaster

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Over a year ago I started designing a .38 cal version of the Blade Runner blaster. The concept is of a smaller, easier to carry version of the big .44 cal blaster shown in the film. Something that a detective might use as a concealed carry, rather than a sidearm. Some of you might have seen my .38 cal Snub Nose blaster that I did back in 2011.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/blade-runn...ject-115133/?highlight=blade+runner+snub+nose

The Detective Special is an offshoot of that project, based on the same smaller frame, but with a longer barrel, receiver slide, Steyr clip and grips. I will actually be able to reuse several of the parts that were made for the Snubby.

From the outset, let me state that this is a variation of the blaster made for the film, not just a scaled down version. Several of the details are different than on the hero. So please no comments of "why are you using slot head screws? The hero had sockets heads, that's wrong!" It's my own design of my own aesthetic.

The overall profile:

And a size comparison of the Detective special with the Tomenosuke .44 cal and my .38 cal snub nose:

The design is being done using Rhino software. Most of the parts will be 3D printed or CNC milled.

The project had to be put on hold for about a year but now it's back on the front burner! The Receiver and Clip designs have been finished and are ready to send off for 3D printing. The clip is designed to hold 5 micro LED's.

The frame and profile shape for the grips have been milled out of 40 pound urethane foam on the CNC. The rest of the shaping on the grips will be done the old fashioned way, files, rasps and sandpaper!

And yes, this will definitely be made available as a kit!

The patterns for the grips are done. The CNC cut profiles were fastened to the frame and sculpted to shape by hand. Rather than cut the checkering into these patterns I'll first make a mold and cut the checkering into a set of resin castings. Then make the production molds from the checkered set of grips.

Turning the barrel out of acrylic on the lathe. I actually turned two barrels, one that's the correct length and has been bored out to use while working on the patterns. The longer barrel is solid, with only the end spot drilled. The castings will then be trimmed to the correct length and bored out. Easier to cast and more accurate.

The recess in the frame for the triggers was milled out on the vertical mill.

The black trigger guard and triggers are castings left over from my Snub Nose Blaster project.

Ok I read the snubby post end to end and I am inspired, what I think would be cool with this one (my mind travels the white rabbits tunnels) would be a "old west" version, slide the same as modeled, barrel longer by maybe 2" smooth wood grips (no finger grooves) with grips/frame along the line of an early Colt with Goldberg Arms medallion, either half moon or gold bead sight. Case color hardening on slide and lever. The grip frame, triggers and guards in brass, the rest charcoal blue. Actually, I think I would want smooth ivory grips on it with scrimshaw.

:popcornVery impressive work there Dave.
I miss your cat. Although a good idea keeping the cat out of the workshop...can just see it's tail getting caught in the spinning lathe.... reow!!...yikes!!:p

Man i love this Build.

The minute I find the skills and experience to complete a project - technology advances and pushes the limits over the top - 3D printing - Rotocasting - CNC Milling - can't keep up with the power technology curve. Laser cutter - .....

Wow

I might as well go back to cardboard and duct tape. Made my first star trek phaser at five. Used a clear pen cap for the emitter. It was not exactly accurate - or even close - but it would burn down a Klingon! At five - you don't have to worry about what others think of your build. : )

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back