Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer...what are the alternatives?

tubachris85x

Master Member
I am currently putting together an ESB Fett sidearm and been unsure of the proper colors. My client asked for me to match another's paint scheme and just really discovered the name of the paint used. However, the paint is discontinued. To add, it was an airbrush paint, and I'd need an aerosol form if possible...

Anyone might know where I can find a good alternate?

Well what i did was hit it with chrome silver then light sprays of the rust on the edges and a bit heavier on the middle followed by adding some gray primer in VERY light sprays and also by manually doing some silver scratch highlights and dry brushing some gray. follow it with a light buff on sections you want a metallic look to it with some steel wool and you get what spideyfett did. not %100 as i think his is airbrushed but close to it.

this is the "rust" paint i used on the left (oh and if spidey, if you have an issue with me posting your pic just let me know and ill remove it.)

IMG_5207_thumb%25255B9%25255D.jpg

esb-technisub-replica-sidearm-painted-dsc_3754-jpg-60134d1333942837

Yea that's not a bad alternative either. It's actually Spideyfett's style that my client wants. I did some back-searching and discovered it was the Zinc Chromate stuff, which is indeed designed for airbrushing. I was initially going to try some of the testors copper spray, even thinking today to base coat the body in a similar brown and then *mist* the copper spray over it, then matt clear coat it all, then apply the weathering.

yeah that might be a good alternative.

I'll experiment with both. Maybe I can try the paint your recommended and the misting of the copper. I was going to add some light grime and patina as well. What kind of gray did you use? I'm looking at spidey's and it looks like the splotchy grime he put over the main body is a mix of black and gray color. Hard to really distinguish

Chris, after your PM, I Googled terracotta spray paint real quick and found this:

rustoleum terra cotta.jpeg

I think that might be pretty close to the tone you're looking for.
Just another alternative.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back