Ecto-1: Ghostbusters

kruleworld

I finished up the Caddy from Ghostbusters 1 movie. It's based on the AMT ecto-1A from GB2. i modified the rack to correct the equipment. I based the changes on the restored E1 photos on GBfans.com, which has a nice 250 pictures of the restored car.

Here it is next to my Ecto-1A for comparison.

It includes the decals for ecto-1, but none of the parts :roll: I'm basing my build on the restored original Ecto-1.

I supplemented the build with a JT Graphics Ecto-1 decal sheet, but these quickly looked a bit dodgey. it seems they based these decals on the replica ecto-1 that was built for Universal Studios tour, which they took a lot of liberties with and is not screen accurate.

I accurised the roof rack, but decided not to bother (atm) with the interior. I started by grinding out the filled in sides of the roof rack, and eventually decided to cut the Freon tanks off as well. I replaced them with NOS tanks from partsbox.com. I also had to replace some of the frame. I also cut off the two ends that hold the light bars and big tank (not needed).

some of the parts i'm making. also i added some missing support bars on the back of the rack.

I ended up cutting out the entire floor out of the rack and replaced it. You can see some of the completed tools.
[URL=http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/aussiemuscle308/media/Model%20Cars/Ghostbusters/gbe1-03_zpsaeef4339.jpg.html][/URL]

Build the box sides up.

Some more components

Dash, i changed the square radar detector for a round one.

it's amazing what a piece of foil behind the red lens does to the rear lights

interior

installing the parts on the rack

more rack detail

Body assembled, then i realised i forgot to clean up the body of all the un-used attachment points

put the rack on

Thanks for the encouragement.
so i pulled the body apart and went back to fix those extra holes. i filled 7 holes and removed 8 mounting points

and then repainted the roof and rear quarter panel

For ecto-1A, AMT used the full-width step rear bumper, which wasn't on the first movie version. i got a rear bumper from a sedan caddillac and used it to correct the part. i didn't use all the bumper, as the convertible taillights are different. i cut it into pieces

and reassembled it with a small step under the license plate

I added the access ladder. scratchbuilt from styrene and added antennas from wire.

final piece of the puzzle, a couple of NOS tanks from Jason arrived today. These will be the freon tanks on the side of the rack

Last edited:
Now it's done......who ya gonna call??................:lol:lol....couldn't resist.

You've done a great job!.....attention to detail, well executed and excellent presentation....very good;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back