Any films you are SICK of hearing about on the RPF or sick of seeing props from?

I was in the same boat until I saw @asavage 's pistol in person... that thing... just wow. Really made me appreciate Blade Runner all over again and go seek out a few other threads!

The PKD is my all time favorite sci-fi pistol so I NEVER get tired of seeing those babies :thumbsup Would kill to see Adam's!

Having said that, I'm very ashamed of myself that I don't own one.

as someone who frequents the model forums mostly... Star Wars.
and when a really great build shows up from something different or obscure, it rarely gets the attention it deserves

This, this, and this. For as long as I've been a member here there have been threads about subjects I have zero interest in, so I don't read them; it actually saves quite a bit of time. :lol Yeah, there's a lot of repetition here, but that tends to happen with a forum like this where the members are clearly passionate about their fascinations of choice. But I'd rather have an overload of information than have only a handful of threads that are next to useless.

Haven't been on here long but been around multiple other forums over the last 15 or so yrs and really what I've noticed is that people who have fun and enjoy what they do seem to really care the least about whether other people want to be miserable for their enjoyment in their hobby.

Obviously I misread the main header to craft YOUR fandom - it should obviously read cast the fandom that others most want to see in case a scrooge finds it upsetting to them that you may possibly enjoy something which is the mainstream in a sub-culture and get enjoyment from having your own version of something which many other people have built before's fandom ;)

I can't say there's anything I get sick of seeing, but there are things I'm surprised by the amount of threads... simply because I didn't see the big deal about the movie or prop in the first place.

But I will say one thing about this community... even if it's just another Iron Man or TK pepakura helmet, when you check out the threads, the members are so helpful and supportive on the build it makes restores my faith in the internet.

I'm a lightsaber guy (mostly due to space restraints on bigger props) and I'll check out any saber thread whether it's a hardware or first Graflex build, just because I enjoy seeing someone starting their gateway to props project. It may be the 20th Graflex ANH I've seen, but it's that dudes first... and of course he's hyped on it and wants to show it off. SO I say keep em coming.

I think the thing that probably gets to most people is the sort of mob mentality of various props. Some movie or other comes out, and you just KNOW it's gonna be the "next big thing" where something like 80% of the new threads in a forum are gonna be about that prop or outfit or whatever. When I saw Guardians, I KNEW that there'd be a metric crapload of threads on Star Lord costumes. It made sense. Fun, cool character, neat looking outfit, hardware that you can actually make with various tools, it was a no brainer.

We'll see the same thing for Ep. VII Stormtroopers when we get full visuals there, and whatever other armor-based costumes pop up in the next Star Wars film. If Ant-Man does well, we'll see a bunch of those threads popping up. And so on and so forth. That can be frustrating when you have a question that isn't related to whatever's popular, and it ends up drowned out by a sea of Iron Spider-Joker Mk 46 pep builds.

BTTF... do people really love hoverboards that much? They don't even actually hover. They are wheel-less skateboards.

Actually, I am not necessarily that into building prop replicas, although I have a Daiki Kogyo BR Blaster on "back" order from Monsters In Motion, and I'de like to get a big-ass lit-up NX-01 but not for $4,500. I can sometimes get into the mindset of being a engineering snob so if things aren't machined to 10 microns they don't count as actual things, but then I see projects like the guy who made those brilliant Star Trek Assault Phasers and I'm put in my place again, thanks. I love this site more for the how-to aspect and seeing what can be acheived with just some wood and bondo and time... even if I get tired of reading about the new hoverboards in order to see how they were built and / or to see if there is a new technique or resource out there I can use.

I have been designing some things and getting them 3D printed, but there really wouldn't be any other way for me to produce them otherwise. And despite what I said above, I am working on my own sort-of prop project, and I bet I have just as much time in front of the computer tweaking models or waiting for protoypes to arrive as some people have in bondo and sanding. It's not the shortcut some people think it is. Its like the comparison between traditional cell animation and computer animation. They both have their skill sets but come down to human beings putting life into images. So don't get so down on 3D printing, it is just another tool that can be used well or crappily as any other.

Last edited:
Really, anything that starts as "I want to make this costume, can anyone give me the pep files/3D models and walk me through everything I need to make it?" Which sadly seems to be more and more prevalent; it's pretty obvious when someone hasn't put any time into researching the material, looking at proportions, and generally vetting the build.

I also agree on the 3-D printed thing. Yes, it's a tool, and it comes in handy when it's necessary, but when someone is printing parts that can be bought off a shelf for half the cost, I shake my head. That problem is further compounded when there's little to know effort to finish the printed part.

I'm all for people being happy with what they make, but they also need to be aware of the larger community as a whole, and should always strive to learn something new and improve their skill-set.

Also, Iron Man.

I agree with the 3d printing. Considering what it costs I'd only use it for really complex things that are hard to do by hand or for parts that are rare. The problem with pep files is that folks don't realize that even after you have the files there is a hell of a lot of work to do and not to mention patience. They think it's going to give them an iron man suit overnight when it'll take just as long as if you were sculpting the parts.

I'd probably use 3D printing for small parts that I know that I'll need several of; I'd print out a prototype and then pull molds from it and simply cast the number I need. For me this would work better than sculpting since doing it on the computer would allow me to undo mistakes and if it's symmetrical all I have to do is model one side then mirror it for the other side. This comes from spending a lot of time working on the computer, so much to the point that not being able to mirror something or having and undo button is intimidating.

Mostly Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man. That's all you really seem to see on the Marvel board now...

That said, I'm not a fan of costume builds in general. You rarely see any actual prop builds now, just costumes. I much prefer things that I can hold, mostly because props tend to be much smaller and easier to store. :lol:

The more popular items bug me as well, particularly on the Star Wars board. If it's not costumes, all you see are lightsaber and blaster builds, which seem to get hundreds of replies despite them being the same thing we've all seen a million times, yet I've seen threads (including some of my own) for lesser covered props that barely get any replies at all.

Oh and then there's the Harry Potter props. All you ever see are wands, why no love for any of the other props (Dumbledore's Deluminator, the Marauder's Map, etc, etc)

For me, it has all jumped the shark. It was cool 20 years ago when it was a small group of builders and collectors. It was kind of an underground thing. Great pieces were rare and took work and time. It was cool. Today...the conventions and cosplaying nonsense have ruined it all. It's all been commodified and made mainstream. The market is flooded with the stuff. It's not cool anymore. When entire suits of armour and props are being sold at Disney World, it's over.

There are definitely a few that I don't understand the fascination with. I thought BTTF was pretty juvenile and mediocre (except the Delorean, that's just cool). Rocketeer ? Don't even remember it. Thousand minute variations of spiderman's costume ? Don't get that. Everyone's got their thing I guess.

Mostly Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man. That's all you really seem to see on the Marvel board now...

Because GOTG VOL2 had just come out. Now it's flooded with Spider-Man due to Homecoming. The only real mainstay is Iron Man.

The Marvel board will always be flooded with whatever movie is coming out next.

That's very true MrSouthpaw. And the same applies to the DC board (although I don't spend as much time over there as the other boards) What I do like to see is more unique builds that perhaps haven't been done before, rather than the typical blasters/lightsabers/Stormtroopers that seem to dominate the board.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back