Any films you are SICK of hearing about on the RPF or sick of seeing props from?

Moviefreak

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With all the Spider Man, Captain America, Iron Man and now GROOT threads,
I was curious if people are getting sick of discussions and prop sales of any brand/franchise?
Just curious and not looking to create debates or fights :lol
Everyone has their interests and that is cool, no one should judge or demean them for that, but is enough enough in some people's eyes?

My eyes glaze over when I see threads for pretty much all things Iron Man. Not that I don't respect the craftsmanship and such, and it's definitely a cool costume, but it does seem to dominate. Plus, there are apparently a gajillion and one different armor designs.

I suppose it's no different from the old days when there were several different builds for Stormtrooper or Vader armor, all based on minute (well, to the untrained eye) differences across the films. And hey, in a few years it'll be who knows what else. Ep. VII armors will likely be popular when that comes out...

Can't say there are any now because I stay out of the forums dedicated to one brand/franchise only. But when IM3 seemed to be a craze here I had no interest in any Mk >5 build threads and stayed out of those too. I wasn't a fan of all those suits in the film which I thought was just a bad gimmick and all those threads only reminded me of how disappointed I was with IM3.

Star Wars. Don't worry, there's going to be an onslaught of halo stuff between the Master Chief collection coming out and then Halo 5. Amazingly there isn't a ton of Destiny props. As I've said before I wouldn't mind the Iron Man builds if it was something other than the movie versions. There's 40 plus years of armors to build but all anyone wants to do is the worn out movie versions.

Costumes from anything generally, occasionally I like to see what someone is up to. Mostly the girls doing Tomb Raider or our own Dr. Zira.
Props! I like props! Replica PROP Forum! Yeah. Props! Some gizmo I can hold in my grubby hands!

I like watching how fast everyone mobs to something. The other day I hit new posts and the first page was all Star Lord.

I guess it gets to the annoying part when everyne flocks to something that you are not interested in or did not impress you.

Hail the decision to create the popular franchises forums !

All the related threads as mentioned by Rich are there.

Nothing against these movies at all, but at least, all the noise (cacophony IMO :lol) is nicely contained & muffled in there :lol

....... so I just don't visit :lol

Star Wars. Don't worry, there's going to be an onslaught of halo stuff between the Master Chief collection coming out and then Halo 5. Amazingly there isn't a ton of Destiny props. As I've said before I wouldn't mind the Iron Man builds if it was something other than the movie versions. There's 40 plus years of armors to build but all anyone wants to do is the worn out movie versions.
The 405th has a lot of destiny builds and i was tired about the TASM builds

The Mal anything. I don't know what it is... Mal pistol mostly, haha! Also something has always bugged me about the term GREEBLIES. Why couldn't they have just been called detail pieces or something?

Pep this pep that...every time an original or original cast and rare prop turns up the thread gets little view or replies but if its pep it seems very popular. I've seen some of the most awesome and rarely seen stuff get barely any attention and this kinda bugs me. Sure pep is cool and cheap and innovative but enough is enough sometimes.

Ben

Pep this pep that...every time an original or original cast and rare prop turns up the thread gets little view or replies but if its pep it seems very popular. I've seen some of the most awesome and rarely seen stuff get barely any attention and this kinda bugs me. Sure pep is cool and cheap and innovative but enough is enough sometimes.

Ben

darn kids :darnkids

sadly, that seems to be the new trend in the prop world. I can see why young kids do it, but there are better options out there. I seen some members try to educate the peppers, but they are adament on "their" design.

whats even more sad is seeing members pay for these finished pep props when they can spend a few bucks more and get a prop from a better source that has ties to the original...

whats even more sad is seeing members pay for these finished pep props when they can spend a few bucks more and get a prop from a better source that has ties to the original...

Exactly. I think us old school collectors are a dying breed. But if that turns out true at least we will get original or original cast props real cheap. Lol. :)

Ben

I am sick and tired of all things Boba Fett, especially people's idiotic screen names that use not so clever variations of Boba's name. Every comiccon you go to you always seem to see a half dozen Fetts, and if they are decent costumes, you know the knuckleheads spent a few thousand bucks on them so they can all look the same. I find the obsessive-compulsive need to replicate every wrinkle and scratch from the screen a little bizarre too.
But on a separate note, I thank the gods I don't see 'The Crow' as much anymore, that seemed to hang around for a long while until South Park lambasted it.
The world needs more Planet of the Apes!

I don't have much new to offer to this thread as quite a few of you have basically said what i would have. I to respect those tastes of the individual but i personally can't stand all the superhero stuff.I never enjoyed Iron man etc as a kid so... And though it's cool to see some of the costumes for sure i to like to see props you know an item from a film. I do enjoy a lot of the sculpting threads to. But me it's the films from mostly the 80's getting the prop treatment i love.

I like watching how fast everyone mobs to something. The other day I hit new posts and the first page was all Star Lord.

I guess it gets to the annoying part when everyne flocks to something that you are not interested in or did not impress you.

Yeah, I guess I'd say it's less any specific thing, and more how quickly one subject becomes THE subject. In the old days, there seemed to be a little more variety (I mean, back in '99 when I first joined -- they lost my info after the board migrated, but it's true). Yes, there were tons of Star Wars threads, but there were also Indy threads and Matrix threads and other stuff, too.

Hail the decision to create the popular franchises forums !

All the related threads as mentioned by Rich are there.

Nothing against these movies at all, but at least, all the noise (cacophony IMO :lol) is nicely contained & muffled in there :lol

....... so I just don't visit :lol

Yeah, I have to say that was a HUGE improvement in the boards. Kudos to whoever came up with that.

Ben

darn kids :darnkids

sadly, that seems to be the new trend in the prop world. I can see why young kids do it, but there are better options out there. I seen some members try to educate the peppers, but they are adament on "their" design.

So, here's what I think is up with that, based largely on speculation. :)

My guess is that pepakura -- which I understand is just layered paper -- is in many ways more cost-effective for folks. Or at least it is in theory. I mean, all you need is paper, right? You don't need a vacuform table, you don't need a well-ventilated garage where you can do all this stuff, you don't need a metal lathe where you can machine this or that, you just need a computer and a printer and a crapload of paper. Same deal with foam. I don't know if it's a more forgiving medium, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was related to it as well.

When I first got involved with this board, I toyed with the idea of doing several different costumes. A stormtrooper armor outfit, a Ghostbuster outfit, maybe a Fett outfit, etc. As I did the first bits of research, I realized that this would require a ton of power tools and a lot of space that I just didn't have. I could buy a dremel and a bit of thin sink piping to try my hand at a homemade graflex (it didn't work out well), but that was about the extent of my craftiness. As a result...I gave up on making props, and settled on costuming. Then even that became a bit much for my budget, and I basically just...hung around here, shooting the breeze with like-minded geeks.

But if there'd been pep stuff back when I got started? Who knows. I might be making this or that armor or prop or whathaveyou today. To the extent that pep stuff allows people to stay involved in crafting at all, I'd say it's better for the hobby. Maybe some day they can afford to build a vacuform table or whatever other larger expenses. Or maybe they'll just use more affordable materials and stick with that. Regardless, at least folks are crafting, ya know?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back