Putting on a clear coat of paint?

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I want to put a clear coat over my painted resin and styrene props. I will use both matte and glossy (not together) depending on the prop. I always end up with a beaded/rough surface, or with a smooth but 'spotted' look.

Am I spraying the clear coat on too thickly? To thinly? Should I do one even coat, or multiple lightly sprayed coats with drying time between spraying? Am I not giving it time to dry, or is the room temperature too high or low, or should I warm the spray can... etc.?

Hey Andy,

Clear coat is always a toughie and is as much an art as anything else.

It sounds like your holding the can too far away and it's drying before it hits the surface. Clear coats need to be put on in a wet coat. Meaning that it looks wet when it hits the surface. BUT not so wet that it starts to run and drip.

Start spraying before you get to the object. Movle slowly and evenly about 6-8" from the surface. Practice on a piece of scrap to see how close and slow you can spray without getting a case of the runs :eek: :lol .

-Fred

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Mar 19 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]1443323[/snapback]</div>
Hey Andy,

Clear coat is always a toughie and is as much an art as anything else.

It sounds like your holding the can too far away and it's drying before it hits the surface. Clear coats need to be put on in a wet coat. Meaning that it looks wet when it hits the surface. BUT not so wet that it starts to run and drip.

Start spraying before you get to the object. Movle slowly and evenly about 6-8" from the surface. Practice on a piece of scrap to see how close and slow you can spray without getting a case of the runs :eek: :lol .

-Fred
[/b]

Let it dry thouroghly between coats, wet sand then repeat the spraying if needed.

I've used some acrylic based sealers that have left behind a slightly beaded surface texture. Is that what you are using?

I have been using a rustoleum or other brand clear coat from the spray paint section of Wal-Mart or Meijer's

Rustoleum seems to come out faster and more volume.

Try the Testors out. It's made for models wheras Rusto is made for chairs and things.

FB

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(franz bolo @ Mar 19 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]1443442[/snapback]</div>
Rustoleum seems to come out faster and more volume.

Try the Testors out. It's made for models wheras Rusto is made for chairs and things.

FB
[/b]

Hey Andy,

Here's a question for you. What type of finish are you trying to accomplish? Like a clear coat on a car, where it's a hard, protective shell, or are you just looking to protect the underlying paint from handling?

If it's the first, try dupli-color automotive clear coat from an autoparts store. If it's the second, try some Future Floor Wax through your airbrush. It dries crystal clear and will protect your paintjob from everything except acrylic thinner and windex. You can even change the sheen (high gloss, semi-gloss and flat) by mixing in some PolyScale flat.

-Fred

I've never tried the Testors, but if you find a way to mess up the Future, you really need to put down the sharp instruments and lock yourself in a padded room. It's next to impossible to do wrong. Plus, it's available at your local supermarket for like $6 for 27oz.

-Fred

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Mar 19 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]1443678[/snapback]</div>
I've never tried the Testors, but if you find a way to mess up the Future, you really need to put down the sharp instruments and lock yourself in a padded room. It's next to impossible to do wrong. Plus, it's available at your local supermarket for like $6 for 27oz.

-Fred
[/b]

I've heard good things about future. It's supposed to be great to make surfaces smoother for decal applications.

Only downside is the airbrush.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(franz bolo @ Mar 19 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]1443752[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Mar 19 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]1443678[/snapback]

-Fred
[/b]

I've heard good things about future. It's supposed to be great to make surfaces smoother for decal applications.

[/b][/quote]

I use it for everything - protective layer between paint and washes, putting under and over decals, final top coats, protecting canopies or other clear parts - you name it.

And you don't necessarily need an airbrush to apply it. Since it has a water like consistency, you can brush it on because it is self-leveling - no brush marks :thumbsup

-Fred

Future does work great. My only advice is you need to cover the entire surface at each coat. I.E. if you run out on a layer, you will very clearly see where the line is, opposed to testors.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(franz bolo @ Mar 19 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]1443752[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

Why on earth do you need an airbrush to apply Future???

Just use a good quality red sable brush and brush it on.

Future flows out flat when applied with a brush, so there are no brush strokes.

I've done over 100 model race cars in the past using a paint brush to apply the Future. Not a brush stroke to be found in any of them..

Lynn

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back