Building a YT1760

Hi All
Once again progress is slow, but I feel that I am getting somewhere with this.
Over the past few days I have been working on the engines a bit more. I added a bit of detail to the front including an intake thingy and some bits of styrene to giev the engine a bit more detail. I plan to greeblie it up (if that is the way to say it) once it is attached to the body.
IMG_0738.JPG
Speaking of the body, some good work on the top going on. It has been sanded and I worked on the shoulder region tonight. So building up the section that holds the cockpit tube in place.
IMG_0735.JPGIMG_0736.JPGIMG_0737.JPG
It needs a bit of sanding but I am happy with the shape.
Cheers all

Hi All
So some good progress has been made. The top section has been shaped. That was more than a bit scary, cutting large chunks out of the dome shape - measure twice, cut once!
I also glued the two halves together, it was really nice to start to see how the ship will look as a whole.
Tonight I managed to construct the rest of the entry ramp/docking bit. All the detailing and greeblies will come later. Using some masking tape I put the engines and end section of the docking ring in place to get a feel for the overall look of her.
I like where she is headed - I think it is a little more round than I expected, but certainly not ugly.
The next stage will be finishing off the main structural parts, but I am really looking forward to getting to some detailing.
Hope you enjoy, as always comments and advice most welcome.

IMG_0740.JPGIMG_0741.JPGIMG_0742.JPGIMG_0744.JPG

Cheers to all and happy building.

Excellent progress! The engines sit higher than I imagined... Reminds me of DS9's Defiant from the side. But I suppose the resemblance will lessen as the build moves forward.

Keep it up!

--Alex

Hi Alex
I agree with, I thought the engines were a bit high. That said I have done a search for some images of YT1760s and found these.
YT-1760_2.jpgyt1760texturized_v2.2_back.jpg

The engines look high on these too, so I am happy that my model is consistent with the images.
ps, great work on the cargo ship!
Stephen

Hi All
I know it has been ages, but the build is still going - slowly.
So what has been happening.
Well I have made the outside of the docking ring. I used some PVC pipe as the main body of it. I wrapped 0.5mm strips around this in different sizes to produce a tapered look. Liberal application of putty followed and then some sanding. You can see it in place in the pic below (held by masking tape for now).
IMG_0770.JPG
I have since added some styrene over the top of the putty so I can add armour plate later.

On the top side of the ship I have added another sort of level like thing to the rear deck. The grills and lots of greeblies will be added to this later.
IMG_0768.JPG

So it is definitely taking shape.
Let me know what you guys think.
Happy modelling to all.

Looking good, what's the diameter of your docking ring? If you like I could send you a cast of one from my YT-1000. Mine are about 50mm in diameter.
P1040700.JPG

Looking good, what's the diameter of your docking ring? If you like I could send you a cast of one from my YT-1000. Mine are about 50mm in diameter.
View attachment 398773

Firstly - thanks for the offer Gattaca, I am going to pass on it at present because I want to try and do the complete build myself. That said, if I start tearing my hair out and going a little mad, you may well get a call!

I have done a bit more work on the docking ring. The outer is complete (well, maybe a few more greeblies later), seems to look good with some primer on it. I am going to start on the actual mechanism next.
IMG_0780.JPGIMG_0781.JPGIMG_0782.JPG

More to follow!!

Hello all
It has been ages since I have posted here. I feel a bit bad about not making much progress but I guess that happens.
I have managed to get a bit done this last week. Getting close to the point where all that is left is detailing - almost.
I have been working on the topside recently. I think it is starting to look good, amazing what a bit of primer and some greeblies do. Helps my enthusiasm for the project too.
Comments as alway very welcome.
IMG_0834.JPGIMG_0833.JPGIMG_0836.JPGIMG_0835.JPG

Hi All
Back again with a little update.
I know I am jumping about a bit on which bits I am building, I think a more structured approach would get the project finished faster, but where is the fun in that.
So I have been working on the mandibles for the YT for the past couple of nights. I made a basic shape as a template and cut out 6 pieces. I sort of laminated them with spacers to give some height. I wanted a bit of the original Falcon look so I made a couple of holes and added some greeblies. I then detailed the front and insides - I might leave the outsides until they are attached so I can blend in the joins a bit.
IMG_0843.JPGIMG_0842.JPGIMG_0841.JPGIMG_0844.JPGIMG_0845.JPG
I will add some more greeblies and then some primer (mmmm primer) and see how they look.
I am hoping that they give the ship a bit more of that classic shape when attached.
Thanks for checking in.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back