X-Wing Red 5 Helmet Build

Trooper_trent

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Next up in my growing helmet collection is Luke's X-Wing helmet. I purchased an EXCELLENT kit from DarthHair. He doesn't actively post on the boards but has a facebook and youtube channel. That's actually where I found him. His kit is very affordable and comes with TONS of extras. The kit consists of to helmet halves, and inner dome, inner and outer mohawk strips, end cap, chin cup, chin straps with buckle, a sliding visor and mount, custom fitted foam interior insert with built in ear muffs, mic tip and wire, really nice decals, pin striping, and even includes the correct size rivets and washers. The only thing you need is a rivet gun, glue, paint, clamps, and a drill!
Here are some pictures of this really great kit. Can't wait to get started on it.

BgMIVuq.jpg

fqUgFdN.jpg

xXludpC.jpg

VkUNU9o.jpg

Last edited:
If you search for him on facebook or "theDarthHair" on youtube, you'll find him. And he's a member here, although he doesn't post. I'm sure you could email him from here.

Last edited:
Here it is in various stages of being masked off. I think what I'll do is hit it with the golden yellow color on the sides and mohawk, let that dry, then mask off the yellow stripe that goes down the side, hit it with the dark red, then I should be able to pull the mask off, leaving a clean yellow line underneath. I have to plan it out to minimize the number of times I have to mask this helmet off because it's a pain in the rear.

fh69BII.jpg

2HY2Kjl.jpg

yzds96j.jpg

Last edited:
Yellow base coat. I went a shade lighter because I plan to weather it and do a matte clear coat which will bring it down quite a bit.
Ie8yvcV.jpg

I prefer the darker burgandy and gold to the bright red and yellow versions I've seen. Like this artist proof for the ESB version that EFX did.
TH3LPqo.jpg

I found a red that is pretty close to the color of the decals that came with it so I think this will work nicely.
lu0DQjO.jpg

Last edited:
Yay, I think that turned out pretty good. There's a couple of touch up spots but most of it will be covered with the black pinstriping

EIttkVQ.jpg

0qKPPvL.jpg

Last edited:
So....
I put in a movie and piddled around with the helmet, then all of a sudden I notice it's 5:30 in the morning!
Anyway, Off to bed. Here's where I'm at so far. Going to redo the arched pin stripe surrounding the kill patches tomorrow.

lBZSKXL.jpg

Last edited:
So....
I put in a movie and piddled around with the helmet, then all of a sudden I notice it's 5:30 in the morning!
Anyway, Off to bed. Here's where I'm at so far. Going to redo the arched pin stripe surrounding the kill patches tomorrow.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/...A-7E28-425A-B407-40F8FAF92C80_zpsbcm90qcj.jpg
Don't know if you play video games but the same thing happened to me while playing skyrim its amazing how time fly's by while your having fun off topic sorry it looks great and I can't wait to see it finished up

Thanks guys!
I think I'm getting close to finished with this one. The helmet wall finally looks a little more balance after adding the third helmet to the bottom row (that was bugging me)

YNyFTld.jpg

I still need to add the microphone and the little tube.

6Ihb6rI.jpg

SEWJPiR.jpg

Here you can kind of see the interior helmet liner.
ikt53Gd.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back