HalloweenCostumes.com "Back to the Future 2 Light Up Shoes"

Just to clarify something that was brought of briefly before - Having worked in (and currently working in) licensing AND with the BTTF license, I can give insight -

Sometimes things are double licensed. Universal can own the SHOW, but they have no ownership over NIKE or NIKE IP (the swoosh) - SO yes, these can be official, but not "Nike" - Unless you want to pay a lot more per pair as the cost of the NIKE use license would be included in the price...

This happens a few times in BTTF - The Hoverboard can be licensed, but you dont automatically get to use the big MATTEL label, since mattel owns that. You can make a TIME MACHINE, but you dont automatically get to use the iconic DMC logo on the front, since GM owns that....

Its like the Jurassic Park Cryo-Can.... You can get a license from Universal to call it a JURASSIC PARK product and make it, but you cant use BARBASOL without getting a seperate license for use of its name and imagery.

Each extra license costs more money, and more approval times.

and I guess it also costs too much to make a hole triangular in shape

Well I got an email from HalloweenCostumes.com today. Here's what it said...

Dear Customer (and fellow BTTF fan),

My name is Tyler Messner and I'm the customer service manager here at HalloweenCostumes.com. I'm writing to inform you about an issue that occurred last night during the release of our Back to the Future Part II Light-Up Shoes.

After months of anticipating the arrival of this product, a small, unforeseen mishap in our system caused us to accept your order even though we had already run out stock. I'm very sorry to inform you that we will not be able to fulfill your order from this
first shipment. However, we WILL reserve a pair from the very next shipment, just for you, and that will be sent immediately upon arrival. We will be sending out an update via email on October 18th with more precise details in regards to the next shipment of shoes. Because of this unfortunate situation, I'd also like to extend an offer for 50% off costumes on HalloweenCostumes.com. Please follow the link below to redeem.

Last night at 6pm we were again humbled by the incredible amount of excitement this product has generated. I called for all of our staff to be present during the release time, and even with "all hands on deck," within a few minutes we were completely overwhelmed by the response. Never once, in all of our company's existence, have we had a product create this type of excitement. Unfortunately, this caused an enormous amount of strain on our website and internal processes. We expected this, but even with our precautions, the popularity and site traffic was greater than we thought possible.

My team of managers and myself are prepared to speak with you about this matter in hopes that we can alleviate any concerns, as well as provide our most personal and sincere apologies. We have set up a direct line that we can be reached at, and I would encourage you to give us a call so that we can further explain the matter, as well as let you know what you can expect next. Of course, if you no longer wish to purchase the shoes, we completely understand. We can also issue a full refund if you prefer.

You can reach myself and my team at 507-386-8495.

I appreciate your understanding and patience on this matter, and can I assure you that we as a company have not taken this mistake lightly. We will only learn and grow from this situation and better serve you, our customers, in the future.

Sincerely,

Tyler Messner
Customer Service Manager
HalloweenCostumes.com
507-386-8495

So by the sounds of it, I have a pair reserved for me when they come up for sale again which I hope will be in early Nov. at the latest.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can make a TIME MACHINE, but you dont automatically get to use the iconic DMC logo on the front, since GM owns that....

The DMC logo used on the cars built in 81-83 is technically defunct. DMC Houston has their own and it's not exactly the same. Also, GM never had a hand in DMC. It was its own company and a rival to GM. You can build a Time Machine out of a DeLorean and not have to worry about the DMC logo on it at all.

*edit - I'm partially wrong. The logo with the outline is the one that is defunct. The DMC logo transferred to DMC Houston's ownership at some point. However, I have never seen a case where they went after anyone using a DeLorean with logo attached, time machine or not, in an ad or commercial.

I have a DeLorean sitting in my driveway right now. Not a Time Machine replica, she'll never be turned into one of those.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you feel that way. Myself, I'm not worried.

I got the same e-mail you did regarding the ones I was given the impression I had successfully ordered. I had even gotten a shipping notification for DHL, but there was no tracking number listed.

I'm not worried either. I'll wait for them to come in. It'll happen when it happens.

I'd feel ripped off paying any amount of money for that type of shoddy "replica".

To each their own. The shoes aren't worth $250+ to me to just sit on a shelf next to my Krups coffee grinder and prismatic hat and wear them once in a blue moon for fun. Add some logos and trim the holes out a bit and nobody that's going to see them would even notice they're not an $8000 pair of 2011 Mags sitting on my shelf.

Yeah, the average BTTF2 fan will not notice that they're not screen accurate. That's more of a cosplay/prop collector mentality.

For those that may look down on people owning non-screen accurate props (and I'm not necessarily saying that there is anyone here that is doing that), that's petty and elitist. I certainly don't look down on people that have to have screen accuracy to be happy so hopefully no one will look down on me for not having to have screen accuracy. There's no need to go all "Sheldon Cooper" on someone just because they are happy with non-screen accurate costumes and props.

Last edited:
I disagree. $100 vs $250 is actually the definition of "much more money". Besides, we will probably have real Nike versions next year (hopefully with power laces) and maybe even some "true" V3s from RPF member airair to choose from. These $100 ones will tide me over until then.

If you are worried about $150 price difference on these replicas, no way are you getting a genuine NIKE MAGs with power laces. They will cost way more than $250!

I would imagine so. It's all about what a person thinks a thing is worth. For example, if someone wants to buy a custom lightsaber inspired prop (with all the bells and whistles) from me for over a grand, I won't stop them... but there's no way in hell I would even pay half that for one, even if I did not have the means to make them.

Right now, the V2s are not worth $250 to me and even though I want a pair of the "real deal" Nikes, I doubt I will be able to afford them. If nothing new and better comes out at a price I'm willing to pay, I will settle for the HalloweenCostumes.com version and I won't really mind.

*edit - I'm partially wrong. The logo with the outline is the one that is defunct. The DMC logo transferred to DMC Houston's ownership at some point. However, I have never seen a case where they went after anyone using a DeLorean with logo attached, time machine or not, in an ad or commercial.
I am guessing TylerHam is mainly referring to BTTF / DMC licensing clauses when it comes to merchandise. If anyone converts their 1:1 scale DeLorean into a Time Machine, no one is going to object about the DMC logo. But when a company makes a BTTF DeLorean model, they have to get the license for the DMC logo. If nobody objected to that, we wouldn't be having BTTF DeLorean models from Diamond Select Toys with missing DMC logos. DST didn't want to pay extra fees for licensing, hence no logos on the model cars.

To each their own. The shoes aren't worth $250+ to me to just sit on a shelf next to my Krups coffee grinder and prismatic hat and wear them once in a blue moon for fun. Add some logos and trim the holes out a bit and nobody that's going to see them would even notice they're not an $8000 pair of 2011 Mags sitting on my shelf.

You'd be surprised, with wearing the V2's even some people that worked in a Nike shop here in Melbourne thought they were the real ones, and the only mod I've done was the steam toe slim. Most comments I get are just 'dude, cool shoes' - they probably don't recognise the MAGs for what they were/are - the movie did come out a long time ago, it's probably older than some of the people who have made comments to me :D

If you are worried about $150 price difference on these replicas, no way are you getting a genuine NIKE MAGs with power laces. They will cost way more than $250!

Yes, you're exactly right. The real shoes, while cool, are not worth to me what it would cost to get them.

I've been doing this since 1982. The vast majority of my collection, I haven't skimped on at all. I've spent the money I've needed to in order to get the best example (in my opinion) of what I wanted to add. A few times, I added a relatively-decent placeholder to tide me over until someone made the perfect edition - sometimes technology, materials, processes and skills had to evolve in order for that to happen within an un-ridiculous price point. (For example, my first Raiders Idol was painted, not plated. I upgraded to a plated one when I was able.) Granted, some of those years I had *much* more disposable income than others.

Maybe the HalloweenCostumes version of this is a placeholder. Maybe it's something I'll work on to accurize the details until it's good enough for me. Maybe it will show me that getting the real thing is actually worth some ridiculous amount of money to acquire. Who knows? However, the bottom line is, who cares? It's my collection, my money and my shelf. If I'm happy with it, who are you to tell me I'm wrong?

Spend what you want to spend on what you need to in order to be happy. Right now I've got a wife and family, a house, three cars, lots of friends, tons of unique and memorable experiences and a prop and sword collection that I built over the course of 30 years that many people have enjoying seeing and I've enjoyed sharing. I don't need to have 'the best toys' to win (and whose definition of 'best' qualifies, anyway?) - I've already won, as far as I'm concerned.

I am guessing TylerHam is mainly referring to BTTF / DMC licensing clauses when it comes to merchandise. If anyone converts their 1:1 scale DeLorean into a Time Machine, no one is going to object about the DMC logo. But when a company makes a BTTF DeLorean model, they have to get the license for the DMC logo. If nobody objected to that, we wouldn't be having BTTF DeLorean models from Diamond Select Toys with missing DMC logos. DST didn't want to pay extra fees for licensing, hence no logos on the model cars.

Aah, alright. I was thinking in terms of 1:1 Time Machines and not the models. I honestly never noticed it or the embossed "DeLorean" on the rear bumper were missing from my DS model. Thanks for the information.

Yes, you're exactly right. The real shoes, while cool, are not worth to me what it would cost to get them.

My comment was for ARKM, so not sure why you unloaded that on me.

Anyway agreed. Paying up to $8000USD for a pair of shoes is crazy, so why I have the replicas. All up I have probably spend about $1500 on them and after I add EL, I'll be done. If the NIKE does release a real shoe shoe next year (no electrics) for less than $500, yes I will buy a pair in size 7 for a 1:1 scale display, then I'll be done. If they do another eBay auction, then I won't be getting them. If they actually do a "power laced" version, it won't be affordable at all.

My comments were simply about what I hope is not another web scam. If you guys trust the costuming company, great. I don't and was simply sharing a previous experience.

Fair enough. I hope someone posts real photos soon so we can see exactly what they are like. Would be even better if someone has the V2 to compare it to.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back