Scout Trooper (Biker Scout) Life-Sized display

Yeah I believe in those shots the scouts are weathered but the photography makes it hard to make out.
Would love to see some more definitive pics.

Yeah I believe in those shots the scouts are weathered but the photography makes it hard to make out.
Would love to see some more definitive pics.

I'm in the midst of what amounts to a move -- everything either packed up or stacked up as the living space gets completely re-organized. As soon as that's done, I'll have my LD player set up again, and see what I can capture (I have the massive ILM Definitive Edition trilogy on twelve laser discs box set that came out right before the Special Editions were started).

--Jonah

Ok was having the clean vs dirty debate on FB.
As far as I know, there were no clean, unweathered Scout costumes seen on screen in ROTJ. I've always been partial to distressed looking armor because I feel it adds a layer of 'real-world' credibility. I know a lot of people who prefer the clean look though.
So which camp are you in? Clean or dirty?
And why?

http://ginodesign.com/starwarslifesized/scouttrooper/scout_5.jpg

Real nice work, GINO! As always.

For me, it depends. For props, always weathered. When I finish a blaster or something, it just looks odd all clean. But for costumes, it depends more on what it will be for. If I troop in it, I prefer clean. In my mind, I feel like when your at a Con or parade (especially the latter), it's like your in your dress blues and all done up for the presentation. So I prefer clean. But if it's for a display piece (like your Lifesize stuff), I prefer weathered, because it's more meant to be a straight up display piece of the thing as it was in the movie. Also distressed/weathered costumes are awesome for more reenactment type stuff, and photo shoots and all that. Also for certain costumes like Sandtroopers, Tuskens, etc...where there's really no plausible way it would ever be clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it depends. For props, always weathered. When I finish a blaster or something, it just looks odd all clean. But for costumes, it depends more on what it will be for. If I troop in it, I prefer clean. In my mind, I feel like when your at a Con or parade (especially the latter), it's like your in your dress blues and all done up for the presentation. So I prefer clean. But if it's for a display piece (like your Lifesize stuff), I prefer weathered, because it's more meant to be a straight up display piece of the thing as it was in the movie. Also distressed/weathered costumes are awesome for more reenactment type stuff, and photo shoots and all that. Also for certain costumes like Sandtroopers, Tuskens, etc...where there's really no plausible way it would ever be clean.

Pretty much my take. I look to the character to dictate the weathering. Is it someone who would take care of their kit? Or someone who'd let it go, to one extent or another? For my Royal Guard stuff -- formal robes, Stormtrooper armor, and flight gear, everything is going to be near-pristine, with only minor scuffs and scrapes and wear at attachment points and the like, as they are almost pathological in maintaining their kit. Part of the job. Ditto my Nova Trooper, same reasons. My Storm Commando (real SC, not a Shadow Scout) is going to be clean but dirty -- that is, no scrapes or dents, but mud and dirt ground in in places where it's just impossible to ever truly get out. My Fenn Shysa (Clone Wars era, and color-corrected to compensate for Marvel's crappy early-'80s coloring) is going to be dirty and scraped, though not to the extent Boba was a couple decades later. And so on. :) Scouts are frustrating because there's compelling justification for both.

--Jonah

I agree. For instance in the arrival of the Emperor scene I could totally see them being shiny. But "in country" as you put it, it makes sense to be weathered, especially for Scouts, seeing as they spend so much time away from any garrison scouting.

Yeah it would make sense for them to be pristine and clean for a shot like that.
What remains to be seen as far as I'm concerned is whether or not they were.
I'm of the mind that they were always weathered on film but the scene was shot in such a way that you just can't tell.

You're probably right that they were actually weathered in that scene, I was just using that scene as an example where, in-universe, it would make sense for them to be clean.

Looks absolutely superb Gino. I wish the eFX Legend had been weathered like that helmet. Looks much better. Great work.

Thanks!
Yeah they are if you look closely but it's hard to see in the pics.
I think it might not be a bad idea to go over them with another pass.

GORGEOUS as always, Gino! Wouldn't expect less!

Weathered all the way, that what Star Wars is...
If you want it clean, go for Star TREK... (sorry, trekkies!). :D

I'm always amazed at how much of the weathering is lost in photos. You'll dirty it up so that it looks good in person, then take a picture of it and it looks much cleaner. Then to get it to look weathered on camera it almost has to be TOO dirty.
That looks amazing Gino, outstanding job!

Thanks guys!
Just fyi, I was finally able to find a couple hi res pics that definitively showed all the scout troopers on the death star hanger bay for the emperor's arrival and they are indeed unweathered.
They must have filmed that scene first and then weathered them all for the endor scenes.
Both styles show up in the film so it really does come down to a personal preference clean vs dirty.

Awesome. That's sort of what I thought. Makes sense. All the Death Star scenes were during the studio shooting in England --first in the shooting schedule. The Crescent City shoot was the last of the regular-schedule principle photography. Plenty of time to weather the Scouts and Stormtroopers and send them to California.

--Jonah

Ok was having the clean vs dirty debate on FB.
As far as I know, there were no clean, unweathered Scout costumes seen on screen in ROTJ. I've always been partial to distressed looking armor because I feel it adds a layer of 'real-world' credibility. I know a lot of people who prefer the clean look though.
So which camp are you in? Clean or dirty?
And why?

http://ginodesign.com/starwarslifesized/scouttrooper/scout_5.jpg

The weathering is the first thing I noticed--it's exceptional. I love it. Totally sells the piece. Put me FIRMLY in the weathered camp. Gorgeous work.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back