The amazing spider man 2 chest spider question

StaggzCosplay

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After looking online at pictures, I have a question about the chest spider... is it completely slick black and smooth? Or does it have a Matt grainy texture almost as if its been sprayed with plastidip? Anyone whos actually seen the suit in person, chime in on this!

Lunaman would be the best person to answer this as he's seen it in person and has photos that he can show you.

From what I remember, it looked like one layer of the same material as the webs, and then one layer of matte on top of that, slightly smaller, so you can see the edge of the lower layer.

Lunaman would be the best person to answer this as he's seen it in person and has photos that he can show you.

From what I remember, it looked like one layer of the same material as the webs, and then one layer of matte on top of that, slightly smaller, so you can see the edge of the lower layer.
Okay, now I could be wrong, but is this layering you're thinking of just the edges of the spider? From pictures like these, that's what it looks like to me, I could be mistaken though...
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/pho...the-amazing-spider-man-2-33769853-610-908.jpg
http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2013/07/12/Symbol.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l2D1DuZeq...p1sk5Qel4/s1600/amazing+spider-man+2+mask.jpg
it looks like its a bit more prominent on the animated suit....

As @thejakemoore mentioned, I've seen the suit, and he is correct for the most part--- the base layer of the chest spider is the same rubberized material as the webs, but it has a very thin appliance on top of that. A second layer that is more reflective than the rest of the suit, but not glossy, it catches more light from more angles as you walk around the suit (not unlike retroreflectors in athletic shoes, though not as extreme). It has a fine granular texture, and is the only part of the costume with this more reflective material.

SOoPHb9.jpg

Wc7zSzX.jpg

As @thejakemoore mentioned, I've seen the suit, and he is correct for the most part--- the base layer of the chest spider is the same rubberized material as the webs, but it has a very thin appliance on top of that. A second layer that is more reflective than the rest of the suit, but not glossy, it catches more light from more angles as you walk around the suit (not unlike retroreflectors in athletic shoes, though not as extreme). It has a fine granular texture, and is the only part of the costume with this more reflective material.

http://i.imgur.com/SOoPHb9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Wc7zSzX.jpg
That is really REALLY interesting.... I wonder if that effect could be achieved if I gently sanded down the outer edge of my KinoKoaru puff paint spider after putting the plasti dip on the spider? Or I wonder if it would be a better idea to actually go around the spider with a thin layer of the latex I'm using for the webs....

Last edited:
That is really REALLY interesting.... I wonder if that effect could be achieved if I gently sanded down the outer edge of my KinoKoaru puff paint spider after putting the plasti dip on the spider? Or I wonder if it would be a better idea to actually go around the spider with a thin layer of the latex I'm using for the webs....
Tough to say, I'm not sure how cleanly puff paint will take to sanding--perhaps do some small scale tests before your spider and suit arrives. A matte or slightly silvery plastidip could look close to the surface treatment on the suit. Whatever you go with for the spider, I do think it would be a good idea to blend the edges of the appliance with the latex you are using for the webs.

Tough to say, I'm not sure how cleanly puff paint will take to sanding--perhaps do some small scale tests before your spider and suit arrives. A matte or slightly silvery plastidip could look close to the surface treatment on the suit. Whatever you go with for the spider, I do think it would be a good idea to blend the edges of the appliance with the latex you are using for the webs.
Thanks man... I found a puff paint tip that's super small that people used for the red hexagons on their ASM suits...think I'm going to use the latex/puff paint mixtures I'm using for the webs and go around the full spider to give it the movie look... Don't know for sure if it will work, but when I get the tips in, I'll give it a test and see if I think it will be thin enough to work.

Thanks man... I found a puff paint tip that's super small that people used for the red hexagons on their ASM suits...think I'm going to use the latex/puff paint mixtures I'm using for the webs and go around the full spider to give it the movie look... Don't know for sure if it will work, but when I get the tips in, I'll give it a test and see if I think it will be thin enough to work.

Cheers, should be cool when it's all said and done.

Lunaman I heard you mention that It needs to be somewhat silvery... are you suggesting that the chest spider (the thin grainy part) is not only somewhat reflective, but is actually colored a greyish color as well? Because if that's the case, I think I've found the perfect product. This should (I could be wrong though) make the Spider somewhat reflective and silvery while remaining matte instead of glossy.... then, if I could get the webbing to be a similar color as that (minus the silvery reflective factor) and go around the entire spider with it very thinly... that could turn out perfect.
http://www.maperformance.com/plasti...nWe0EAXA59vBn_2VgVX0DkUMUe40EWsru3RoClVPw_wcB
I think if I apply the same latex mixture as the webbing around the entire spider, as long as it is super thin, it shouldn't effect the accuracy of the thickness of the spider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys. After looking closely at the edges it actually looks like it's a graphite reflective sticker that was applied. Does anybody agree? I mean it definitely doesn't seem coated in anything because of that dropped edgy outline. I dunno just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys. After looking closely at the edges it actually looks like it's a graphite reflective sticker that was applied. Does anybody agree? I mean it definitely doesn't seem coated in anything because of that dropped edgy outline. I dunno just saying.

Thats what it looks like, but it's not super thin... It looks somewhat thick. I'm thinking my effect idea that I have will achieve the same result, but I'm going to test it out and see....

Thats what it looks like, but it's not super thin... It looks somewhat thick. I'm thinking my effect idea that I have will achieve the same result, but I'm going to test it out and see....

Ah Alright. But yeah a reflective sticker would explain it. It would just be dark grey instead of silver. Also I think that it's a sticker because if you look carefully the edges beneath it connect to the webbing. Like urethrane. Or as they say a 3D printed web pattern

Ah Alright. But yeah a reflective sticker would explain it. It would just be dark grey instead of silver. Also I think that it's a sticker because if you look carefully the edges beneath it connect to the webbing. Like urethrane. Or as they say a 3D printed web pattern

See, I think youre definitely right. I think its some kind of sticker/decal, possibly made out of a latex material, that is think and reflective.

The top layer is indeed very thin like an iron-on decal or foiling. The base layer is thick because it's the same material as the surrounding webs.

As for color and reflectivity, it's still a very dark grey/black, nearly as dark as the matte/satin black webs. In daylight it just catches a little more light than the rest of the suit and from a broader angle, and while it's possible that it may be a graphite decal, I don't think it's the same reflective level as the retroreflective graphite used for underarmor logos and betabrand high-visibility biking shirts. In low light conditions it still looks mostly black or gray, where truly retroreflective layers would show up extremely bright instead, like the grid on the plaid shirt below.

exclusive-the-amazing-spider-man-2-pictures-153555-a-1389697126-1000-612.jpg

DF-41866_r.jpg

1150x673xgraphite_reflective_bike_to_work_button_down__long_sleeve__3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.wXFjdD6cNN.jpg

rysTOBO.jpg

kuUyZhI.jpg

As for the plastidip consideration, I think that might be a route to experiment with. The straight gunmetal is a little dull, but I've seen some stuff in the right direction of a dark color with a pearlized/graphite element.

This car, for instance, which is black that has been layered with translucent pearl plastidip treatment to create a "Frosted Gunmental Grey Pearl":
6EZ4PjC.jpg

ys4Mv8B.jpg

http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/sh...rey-Pearl-Clear-over-Black-Pearl-Lots-of-pics

Really really great stuff Lunaman... looks like I'm going to be playing around with some plasti dip, puff paint, and latex over the next few weeks to test some stuff until my print and spiders get here....
Now, This may be going in a different direction, but are the webs more black or dark grey? Colors can be distorted in pictures, so I was curious if they were a similar color to the chest spider in real life or if they were darker or lighter....

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be a stupid idea, but what if I took paper like this, copied my actual chest spider on the copying machine and had it printed on the BACK of the decal paper then sprayed the front of the decal paper (the actual part you would usually stick to whatever you're doing it on) with plasti dip. If the plastidip stuck without breaking, that could give me the effect I'm looking for. My only concern with that is matching up the latex webs with the part of the chest spider that's showing... if they're matte black webs, that would be no problem because KinoKaoru's Spider's are matte black. but if they're grey webs, that won't work because it won't match the chest spider.... Problem is, I can't tell if the webs used on the actual movie suit are matte black or grey.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back