Need some quick tips from you sculpting pros - Medium Monster clay

I use mineral spirits to smooth my clay, and I am fairly good at organic sculpting, but I am working on a piece right now that needs to have lines in it that look machined. The entire piece is supposed to be metal.

I am having a bear of a time getting them clean and crisp. Anyone know any good tutorials, a good set of tools (do do for example a 1mm embossed line all the way around or down something that looks machined) I would be indebted to you for your help.

Thanks again
Mason

Monster Clay is relatively soft and therefore hard to sculpt crisp details into. You might want to try a stiffer clay like Chavant NSP Hard. It takes fine detail, and smooth areas can be achieved with drywall screen (open-weave sandpaper) and some solvent (I use naptha, but mineral spirits work) followed by finger-polishing. Good luck!
--Stephen

For my deathstroke mask, to get the nice clean straight lines, I first froze it with an air duster tipped upside down, and then used a standard loop tool. Seemed to work pretty good.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back