"Z Nation" on SCIFI Channel

Kerr Avon

Master Member
Well, so far in the first 30 minutes it's shown their characters are smarter than half of the "Walking Dead" characters, and about 2,000% smarter than Andrea and Lori.

I think it has potential. As long as they stick away from stuff unbelievable as a zombie ninja baby capable of biting people and drawing blood with it's gums, then I think it has potential.

You guys don't know how this virus operates! Maybe it's a T-virus that pumps steroids and adrenaline into the baby!:lol

That guy who was in Road Trip was not selling it for me either. And his girlfriend seemed pretty oblivious to the "Zombpocalypse"

Also, the fact they called it "Zombpocalypse":facepalm

Re: "Z Nation" on SCIFI Channel

It's safe to say that was established with the Dawn of the Dead remake. Why anyone would use that same idea is beyond me.

Two things wrong with that. First, one movie's canon isn't canon in unrelated media. I have no problem with a baby becoming a zombie, it's just like any other person, only smaller, weaker and less coordinated. Second, you must not have seen the show. It wasn't that a baby became a zombie was that unbelievable. It was that a baby spontaneously became a zombie, suddenly gained the skills of an agile, cunning, ninja like zombie that then hid from the living people (unlike every other zombie in the show) and then used spring attacks to launch itself out at battle hardened soldier and bite through his fatigues purely with his gums, because babies don't have teeth. Again, not a toddler or small child, but an actual baby in a baby carrier did this.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys don't know how this virus operates! Maybe it's a T-virus that pumps steroids and adrenaline into the baby!:lol

That guy who was in Road Trip was not selling it for me either. And his girlfriend seemed pretty oblivious to the "Zombpocalypse"

Also, the fact they called it "Zombpocalypse":facepalm

Chick with the baseball bat? How'd you figure that? She seemed pretty aware of everything.

Last edited:
I;ll have o watch a few more to decide. The baby was a good idea that was done wrong. What could have been a good moral dilemma got used for a cheap scare. The baby died, and turned. The decent, kind thing to do would be to put it down. But it is a BABY! Most people would find it very difficult to do such a thing. But the show didn't go for a moral dilemma.

For all the worry about noise atrracting zombies, they did a lot of shooting at the school. Conserve ammunition! Aim for the head, and shoot once!

Finally, someone is using a 22lr. That would be a great weapon for head shots. Unlike what the peddler said, you would not need 3 or 4 shots, one will do. That is because the 22lr tends to ricochet around the inside of the skull. One of the reasons it was a favorite of the OSS during WWII. That, and it is easy to silence the report with low recoil, making it easy to control. Add to that the 22lr is the most common cartridge in the US, so it should be easy to find, and you can carry a lot in a small space. Most Police departments have silenced 22's in their armories for animal control, so if you are lucky, you could find a silenced 22 pistol or rifle.

David.

Two things wrong with that. First, one movie's canon isn't canon in unrelated media. I have no problem with a baby becoming a zombie, it's just like any other person, only smaller, weaker and less coordinated. Second, you must not have seen the show. It wasn't that a baby became a zombie was that unbelievable. It was that a baby spontaneously became a zombie, suddenly gained the skills of an agile, cunning, ninja like zombie that then hid from the living people (unlike every other zombie in the show) and then used spring attacks to launch itself out at battle hardened soldier and bite through his fatigues purely with his gums, because babies don't have teeth. Again, not a toddler or small child, but an actual baby in a baby carrier

I was talking in terms of creative storytelling and how ideas are especially bad ones). Everyone knows that zombie baby's were a bad idea, especially after one was presented in the remake of DOTD. Why any filmmaker or TV show writer would use the idea again, as it was established as a bad idea after the response the idea got from the film years ago, is something that is completely moronic. If a bad idea didn't work previously, it's not going to work again in any other work of fiction. That's my point. I wasn't talking in context of the in-universe canon. I was referring to the use of the idea in overall genre (like how most zombie films reused Romero's "shoot them in the head or destroy the brain" concept. When I say most, I exclude Dan O'Bamnon's "Return of the Living Dead" from that concept, because it went against the Romero concepts most of the film).

Apparently the phone app is having a problem and can't see the text to edit. I'll fix it later when on my laptop. But my first sentence is supposed to be, "I was talking in terms of creative storytelling and how ideas are reused in a genre, especially bad ones."

I was talking about the girl who was Skyping with the remote base soldier and wanted him to come visit. She looked like she had it pretty easy...
Chick with the baseball bat? How'd you figure that? She seemed pretty aware of everything.

I think he was watching a recording pre-zombie apocalypse and just answering like he was talking to her. She says something like "Did you hear about that trouble in Washington?" like it's at the start of the zombies.

I sooo wanted to like this, but this show is stupid. It's supposed to be three years into a zombie apocalypse, and everyone still seems clueless about everything. The ending segment was just a capper. I hate running zombies, and this just sucked!

I think he was watching a recording pre-zombie apocalypse and just answering like he was talking to her. She says something like "Did you hear about that trouble in Washington?" like it's at the start of the zombies.

Yeah, that's exactly what that was. He had a recording of his girlfriend and he was just talking to it to keep himself from going crazy.

One thing I didn't get about that whole situation with him was why did the rest of the military or NSA or whatever bail out of there? It looks like it's probably the most secure location there is.

Everyone knows that zombie baby's were a bad idea, especially after one was presented in the remake of DOTD. Why any filmmaker or TV show writer would use the idea again, as it was established as a bad idea after the response the idea got from the film years ago, is something that is completely moronic.

Bad idea how in the remake of DotD? It was the logical extension of what was occurring with the infected pregnant lady. I had zero issue with the scenario in the movie, as it added some horror to what is already a pretty horrific situation. In the movie, the baby was a zombie. And it just screamed and writhed around but was zero threat to anyone. It's putting the kids at risk that takes things up a notch for a lot of people.

A zombie ninja baby that skitters around and hides while it prepares for a spring attack is just really ****ing stupid.

Bad idea how in the remake of DotD? It was the logical extension of what was occurring with the infected pregnant lady. I had zero issue with the scenario in the movie, as it added some horror to what is already a pretty horrific situation. In the movie, the baby was a zombie. And it just screamed and writhed around but was zero threat to anyone. It's just the thought that even children and babies aren't safe from becoming zombies.

A zombie ninja baby that skitters around and hides while it prepares for a spring attack is just really ****ing stupid.

A zombie baby being a product of an infected pregnant lady was stupid in its presentation (seriously, the zombie baby came off as laughable instead of horrific, which I believe the director was trying horrific, and it failed), thus a bad idea. A zombie ninja baby that skitters around and hides while it prepares for a spring attack is just an extension of how bad and stupid it is.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Finally, someone is using a 22lr. That would be a great weapon for head shots. Unlike what the peddler said, you would not need 3 or 4 shots, one will do. That is because the 22lr tends to ricochet around the inside of the skull. One of the reasons it was a favorite of the OSS during WWII. That, and it is easy to silence the report with low recoil, making it easy to control. Add to that the 22lr is the most common cartridge in the US, so it should be easy to find, and you can carry a lot in a small space. Most Police departments have silenced 22's in their armories for animal control, so if you are lucky, you could find a silenced 22 pistol or rifle.

You don't frequent gun blogs or are a shooter yourself, are you? .22LR is not near as easy to get a hold as it once was, even after the gun scare of a few years ago where ARs and 5.56 were flying off the shelves and common calibers were scarce .22LR is still hard to find, at least to .22 shooters. For some reason .22 ammo hasn't caught up to demand yet so if the zombie apocalypse were to happen you'll be very lucky indeed to find any .22LR floating around unless you happen to stumbler on a dead (ammo) hoarder's house.already dead.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back