e3 2014 mass effect 4 trailer

That one little subplot they never picked up that he had in ME2 still irks me to this day: the accelerated aging of stars.

From what I remember reading, had they stuck to the original story of the third game, this detail was because of the use of mass effect fields; it was tearing the universe apart. The final choice in the game was going to be either destroy the universe and keep using mass effect fields or getting rid of that ability all together and becoming isolationists again. You can see where they incorporated some of those ideas in the final game but that nagging little story detail introduced in ME2 still bothers me.

More idiocy, having to use a kinect in order to use voice commands. Hello? what was wrong with just using your headset? :p

I had a good laugh one time when my nephew sat and yelled commands at the Kinect for 20 mins, instead of using the controller and having it done immediately. You'd think in 2015, voice command software would work like in ST. It doesn't seem like that hard a thing to make!

I had a good laugh one time when my nephew sat and yelled commands at the Kinect for 20 mins, instead of using the controller and having it done immediately. You'd think in 2015, voice command software would work like in ST. It doesn't seem like that hard a thing to make!

Indeed. Some early Xbox 360 games had voice commands using the headset, but then when they launched the kinect, all of the sudden developers only developed voice commands for that skipping the headset.

That one little subplot they never picked up that he had in ME2 still irks me to this day: the accelerated aging of stars.

From what I remember reading, had they stuck to the original story of the third game, this detail was because of the use of mass effect fields; it was tearing the universe apart. The final choice in the game was going to be either destroy the universe and keep using mass effect fields or getting rid of that ability all together and becoming isolationists again. You can see where they incorporated some of those ideas in the final game but that nagging little story detail introduced in ME2 still bothers me.

This is what happens when writers depart and new writers who were brought in down the line suddenly see an opportunity. It all comes down to three questions.

1. Do I continue the story from the original writer's intention?
2. Do I steer clear of the original writer's intent and go with something truly of my own creation?
3. Can I take the story where the original writer wanted it to go while still adding my own defining element?

The answer for Mass Effect 3's case was without question #2. Seeing as how this game was the last entry of the series and the end for Shepard's story, the top writer and director were going to take their ideas, no matter how incompatible they were with the rest of the series and make it their legacy. This is particularly evident when the head writer Mac Walters and director Casey Hudson literally didn't involve any of the other game's writers into the discussion about the game's ending. They weren't only abandoning the previous writers of the series, they were abandoning the writers working on the same freaking title!

Confirmed.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA

And a new trailer too! Let's watch...

It's been a long ro- God dangit!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Johnny Cash, but not for ME. I know it's just a trailer, but still. It also looks like they were borrowing from HALO and Titanfall with the jetpacks.

I like Johnny Cash, but not for ME. I know it's just a trailer, but still. It also looks like they were borrowing from HALO and Titanfall with the jetpacks.

It could be worse.

"If Shepard doesn't bring help soon, there won't be an Earth left to defend."​

And look what this trailer gave us. NO EARTH TO SAVE! That makes me super relieved. Granted, that music does sound like they want to push the human factor more so than the previous ME titles (And ME3 being all Earth savvy that's saying something) but I'm hoping that won't be the case.

I need to see some actual game play. I also wonder how many aliens will look surprisingly attractive to humans and also happen to have breasts.

Happy Belated N7 Day! Here's a tiny trailer voiced by THE Commander Shepard!

Jeyl's Opinion: Yeah, curiosity and exploring the unknown are totally exclusive traits that humanity has that no other space fairing species in this franchise could even contemplate. Screw you Asari!

395ad4d5-be19-40c1-ad85-74cfef54608a_zpssyep5osl.jpg

Attachments

• 395ad4d5-be19-40c1-ad85-74cfef54608a_zpssyep5osl.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 41
    96.5 KB · Views: 41
    96.5 KB · Views: 35
    96.5 KB · Views: 39
Jeyl's Opinion: Yeah, curiosity and exploring the unknown are totally exclusive traits that humanity has that no other space fairing species in this franchise could even contemplate. Screw you Asari!

I didn't get that implication at all.

I didn't get that implication at all.

Despite how much I loved Jennifer Hale reading for Commander Shepard possibly for the last time, that trailer had 'humans are awesome!' written all over it. If you were to remove her dialogue and the title, would you have been able to tell that this was even a Mass Effect game? I'll tell you what it did remind me of.

You can find the Mass Effect: Andromeda trailer with a Johnny Cash song in earlier posts.

But here's what gets me. BioWare recently addressed the issue as to why this game has a human only protagonist.

BioWare said:
The Main Character will be a human, male or female, sporting N7 gear. That is because of relatability reasons, as the story is “very much a human one”.

There's that freaking 'R' word again. Lindelof used it to justify having a sizable chunk of Star Trek Into Darkness take place on Earth and now it's being used to explain how hollow our alien friends are going to be. Relatability. I just think it's astonishing that BioWare believes that the alien characters they created for Mass Effect aren't relatable enough to carry their own story, but were made relatable enough to give you the option to not only romance them, but also have sex with them as well. They're good for sex, but not for story. Rubbish.

Honestly they could even make the character a mix of human and something else or something and it'd still be easy to relate to. There's plenty of games out there with non human leads that do really well. Bioware's just lazy as usual, I don't think they've learned anything from the backlash from ME3 or DA2. I'd have paid good money to play a game as Garrus. Kinda surprised they got Hale to do the VO for that video.

Lies! Shepard was a guy!

As for the character being human, what's the big deal? 9/10 if I had a choice I'd probably pick my character as human, at least the first time I played. People most likely will pick a character they personally identify with, and that's probably someone who looks like them in real life.

As for the character being human, what's the big deal? 9/10 if I had a choice I'd probably pick my character as human, at least the first time I played. People most likely will pick a character they personally identify with, and that's probably someone who looks like them in real life.

It's not so much that the protagonist is human but that BioWare is identifying anything that's not human to be uninteresting or not as relatable. I understand the reasoning behind this choice, I just don't agree with it at all. There's more to Mass Effect than just the human race and frankly the aliens were the most interesting part of it. For me, it's not just about being able to relate to a character, but wanting to understand more about who they are, where they come from and where they're going. Much like how I learned about the Qunari culture by playing one in Dragon Age: Inquisition or playing a Dalish Elf instead of a City Elf in Dragon Age: Origins.

And anytime some writer says "It's a very human story" isn't even trying. Every story is a human story because only humans are the ones writing them. I don't mind if you have to incorporate relatable human elements into aliens since, in the realm of science fiction, shouldn't it be practical that a species who are capable of traveling in space can experience the same kind of things we take for granted as humans? I know I'm probably looking too much into this, but come on. Even Worf can carry Star Trek on his own.

Honestly in a setting like Mass Effect even a human story would fit into the other societies as they all have the same worries: war, poverty, love, loss. That was the one thing about the original star treks and other scifi: a lot of the subject matter was at one time or another in a race's history pretty universal. It wouldn't be that hard to transfer it.

Happy Belated N7 Day! Here's a tiny trailer voiced by THE Commander Shepard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn98FdSg-Fo

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums...5-be19-40c1-ad85-74cfef54608a_zpssyep5osl.jpg

FEMSHEP! :love goosebumps and chills through out the trailer
Still, no chance of buying ME4

There's that freaking 'R' word again. Lindelof used it to justify having a sizable chunk of Star Trek Into Darkness take place on Earth and now it's being used to explain how hollow our alien friends are going to be. Relatability. I just think it's astonishing that BioWare believes that the alien characters they created for Mass Effect aren't relatable enough to carry their own story, but were made relatable enough to give you the option to not only romance them, but also have sex with them as well. They're good for sex, but not for story. Rubbish.

:facepalm hear hear!

I would have preferred to play as an alien "this time around". Bioware = racist.

Imagine playing as a Quarian. Create a character, go on your pilgrimage, barter, find scrap and basically anything that might help your fleet. Or as an Asari and live for a thousand years and do anything, or become a night club dancer :lol

I agree, it's not like the other races don't have interesting stories to tell it's that bioware keeps firing/driving away the only writers they have who could make it interesting. Without Drew back writing we're going to keep getting mediocre stuff at best giving how much of his stuff they tossed out when he left. I'll buy the game but unless there's some amazing bonus for getting it preorder i'll get it used like the first 2.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back