would amazing spiderman be more successful if it came first

Maybe (I'm just saying maybe, not saying this is fact) some of us are falling into the nostalgia trap, myself included. Most people will usually go with the version of something that they grew up with as the best--Star Wars OT over prequels, original Star Trek over TNG, 89 Batman over Nolan, Raimi over Webb, etc. Whatever the case.

As for Spider-man, I grew up with the original Lee, Ditko, Romita, Gil Kane, Romita jr, Ross Andru versions. So for me those stories are the ones that count. I'm one of those that thinks MacFarlane was the worst thing that ever happened to Spider-man. I despise super huge eyes on the mask. I loathe symbiotes and Venom and all that stuff. I liked it better when he was a wanted fugitive, not a public hero. He was a wanted man for years for the death of Norman Osbourne. The cops hated him and the general public thought J.J. Jameson was right about him. To me Mary Jane is a hipster swinger chick who never wanted to do anything but party and was actually Harry's girl. But that's just me. I'm not saying all the other stuff is in fact bad, I'm just saying I fall into the nostalgia trap, too. I want the Spider-man I grew up with and adored. Most of us are the same. We all want the Spider-man we grew up with.

If you are younger and grew up with MacFarlane eyes and Raimi Spider-man, or Ultimate, or Venom, Peter and Mary Jane, etc--that's probably what you are going to like. And there is nothing wrong with that. I stopped reading the comic in about 1985, so for me anything after that is not my Spider-man, but that doesn't mean it should be that way for everyone else.

I was 37 when the Raimi film came out. And like everyone else, I was so hungry for a Spider-man movie that I was a huge fan of it, but even then there were lots of things about it I would have rather had different. Organic web shooters? Did not like that. Great suit, but the eyes were terrible--Spider-man does not have triangles for eyes. Mary Jane over Gwen? Did not like that. Power ranger Goblin--no, just no. But I had been desperately wanting a Spider-man movie for over 30 years so I was happy with whatever I could get.

So when it was rebooted, I was more than willing to give it a chance. But I sure hated that first outfit when I saw it! But it grew on me. I think Garfield and Webb really nailed the Spider-man attitude, humor and quips that I thought was sorely missing in the Raimi films. When he catches that first carjacker, I watched that scene and said to myself "Now, that is the Spider-man attitude I've been waiting all my life to see." And the new suit in ASM2, that is an almost perfect suit. Still not happy with the eyes--still a little too MacFarlane-ish, would rather have Romita jr eyes, but I can deal with it. Still waiting on a good Green Goblin, maybe next time.

But these are just my opinions, I'm not saying they are for everyone. We are all entitled to our own. But for me, I'll take Garfield over Toby.

Last edited:
Well, here's how I look at it....
You've got the Raimi films. The first one was great, the second one was pretty good too, and then the third one was just stupid as all get out....
In Raimi's films, Peter was pretty accurate to the original 60's and 70's comics. Goofy, nerdy, cheesy dude. Even his build was pretty accurate, short and stocky, and more "muscular" than the Spider Man we're used to now a days. MJ coming first didn't bother me UNTIL I started reading the comics a few years back... Also, Kirsten Dunst was not someone I would pick as MJ either.... I think that was another mistake of the Raimi movies. Now, then we have Willem Dafoe... that guy was pretty much the most perfect person in that entire movie series. I honestly can't see anyone as a "perfect" Norman apart from him... he was fantastic. The story itself in those movies was pretty good too. First one, I liked seeing the origin on screen. It flowed really well, the acting was... decent... there were some cringeworthy scenes no doubt, and most of the first film was pretty great. Now let's talk about the costumes in those films. Do you know how much money it actually cost to build an accurate Raimi Spider Man suit? A whole lot... plus, the fact of a broke teenager being able to "build" it... not sure I can fall for that one. The Villains all looked pretty good... except for the "new" goblin, who looked more like a gothic snowboarder...
Now let's look at the Webb films....
The first one actually bored me to tears practically... I didn't like it...
That being said, the second one is one of my all time favorite movies.
Garfield is perfect for the role of a modern Peter Parker.... he looks and acts like Peter Parker from the modern ASM comics. Emma Stone is perfect as Gwen... Dane Dehaan was a great Harry... I mean really, these movies have a great cast! Story wise, I liked how it's trying to stick pretty close to the comics instead of making up a COMPLETELY new story.... There were some mistakes along the way (the first movie was pretty boring due to the fact that it was another origin, but I mean, that needed to happen for the second one to exist). Now, let's take a look at what everyone complains about in those movies.... The plot is what I hear about the most. Supposedly there are "too" many stories going on at once. I beg to differ. Any movie that can take 4 plots, tie them together, and sum them all up (sum them mostly up... gotta have more stuff for the next movies y'know) has my respect. And I think people look at it and make a hasty generalization about it before they actually even watch it... such as "This movie has too many plots". No, it doesn't. It has a few plots that are all pulled off very well in the end. "This movie has too many villains". No, if you watch the film, it doesn't. Not only is it setting up for the Sinister Six, but the villains in ASM2 don't feel crammed. Rhino is only in it for like two minutes at the end, you only see Harry as the Goblin for a little bit to give you a "This is the origin of the Green Goblin" kind of feel, and Electro is the true villain of the whole movie. Now let's look at the costumes. Villains look good, grant it, Electro isn't wearing green and yellow, but who want's to see Jamie Foxx in green and yellow spandex? Then we have Spider man's outfits... by the way, both movies suits ARE accomplishable for a teenager to make...

So what do I think? If Raimi's films didn't come out till after the ASM series, they wouldn't be looked upon as great. Why? Because the only reason people don't give the ASM series a chance is because they look at it as any other Spider Man film.

I agree.

Both sets of movies have their good points and their bad points. No one will ever be able to make one that pleases everybody.

Back to the point, I do believe ASM would've blown people's minds if the Raimi films weren't first. The only reason Raimi succeded was because he made a movie that people had been waiting for but it wasn't special. I hated Toby Mcguire as Peter, he was too old, too dumb and spoke too slow with too many pregnant pauses. And Kirsten Dunst as MJ? I'm sorry but she's not stunning in any way. Plus, organic webs? just kill me already. I think the way to answer your question is to think how the Raimi movies would've hold up if Webb's movies were first. The ASM movies stick to the comics way more and both their Spider-man and Peter Parker are just spot on. The story has its issues but I think the main character is the most important thing in a movie, and they nailed theirs. Also you have to imagine that if ASM were first they could've had all this Daily Bugle dynamic without worrying about people saying "oh yeah, the others did it better with their J. J. Jameson" (which is true).

I also hated how Raimi refused to put a villian who was actually evil, he just had to give them redemption. "Don't tell Harry" as the final words of the green goblin? Really? Plus, Spider-man never actually defeats Octopus. If he wouldn't have changed his mind New York would've collapsed. And I don't even have to tell you what's wrong with Spider-man 3.

I'm not claiming to have a superior version (no pun intended) but Webb nailed everything Raimi got wrong and viceversa, and Raimi got wrong a ton of stuff.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back