Luke ANH position of Graflex clamp thread

Cody1138

Hi,
I know quite a while back there was photographic evidence that the Graflex clamp on Luke's ANH lightsaber was on the left side (looking at the flashgun from the top) during production, and was on the right side during pre-production and publicity photos. MR made their ANH with the clamp on the left. It is very easy to find photos of the clamp on the right, but none on the left. POSW shows only the right side orientation. So can anyone post photos or point to the thread where this was discussed? Also, was there myler tape covering the "Graflex" logo on the ANH saber?

rro03kq.jpg

JQ3nMNv.jpg

C3Uw4h6.jpg

IkB72yr.jpg

uWoQsZR.jpg

The clamp was (from what I've seen) was always on the left side when on-screen in ANH, and no chrome tape.

yep! NEVER the other way around on the screen. For ESB is was swapped.. but I don't know why... it's more comfortable on the left if you're right handed.

Never seen that one before.

Is that a screen shot or an on-set photo?

Good question. It does look like a photograph, although it also looks like they're acting, having just sat down and putting their seatbelts on. You can also see some 2x4's on the floor under Threepio's feet.

I think it's safe to say that the clamp's position varies throughout production. Maybe the lever was not tightened as well as it could be. For my own replica I prefer it at the roughly 8:00 position, since that's where it's at whenever the lightsaber features prominently in a scene.

You can see Luke's lightsaber in one of the pictures, so not completely off topic.

These aren't bad:

Attachments

• Set1.png
    Set1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 401
  • Set2.png
    Set2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 436
  • Set3.png
    Set3.png
    976.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Set4.png
    Set4.png
    740.4 KB · Views: 311
I remember from many, many years ago discussions about the saber, number of grips and d-ring we determined the clamp and bottom tube were permanently attached to each other (as the grips are always in the same position relative to clamp landmarks). The top tube was the part being switched around.

The Falcon pic looks like an on-set photo, possibly a rehearsal or unused filming, but the top shell is reversed. We see the saber mostly on Tattoine (filmed first) and then in the Falcon, on the Deathstar, inside Bens house and the Cantina/Docking Bay 94 as those scenes were filmed later in England.

Some great pics here! I can never decide on how to orient my saber.. I built it to look like it does when Ben gives it to Luke.. then switched it to look like it does in the "toe pic". I think I may switch it back again :lol

Is it true that the clamp and the d-ring alignment is never off in any shot we have? Would that pretty much make it clear then that the clamp and bottom half were glued together? And if it is also true that the top half seems to change orientations, that means it was still removable. And if that is true, that means the bottom half would need to have been glued in the extended position, because when its pushed all the way into the clamp, you cant remove the top half.

What I'm getting at is, would it be accurate to glue the bottom half to the clamp in the fully extended position to be as accurate as possible?

If you've got the grips glued in the right place you can't remove the clamp anyway tho right? Depending on how tight it is it might not even be able to twist without reasonable force. That could explain the fixed bottom...

If you've got the grips glued in the right place you can't remove the clamp anyway tho right? Depending on how tight it is it might not even be able to twist without reasonable force. That could explain the fixed bottom...

Now that you mention it, I don't think theres any way for us to tell if the grips are glued against the clamp, or the back half is pushed all the way in. It's possible to tighten the clamp so the back and front halves don't move.

If the back half was pushed all the way in, and glued there (since we know it never rotates in relation to the clamp) then the top half would not be removable, and we couldnt get the changing positions. I think that proves it has to have been glued in the pulled-out position.

If the back half was pushed all the way in, and glued there (since we know it never rotates in relation to the clamp) then the top half would not be removable, and we couldnt get the changing positions. I think that proves it has to have been glued in the pulled-out position.

Either glued pulled out or the grips are glued against the clamp in pulled out position, either way it's not moving :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back