Help making fake raw meat?

NoraMaha

I'm a noob, so I don't know if this is the right place to put this (but I didn't read anything telling me NOT to...)

Howdy RPF! I need some suggestions on how to make some super realistic fake, raw meat for some fine art sculptures.
Something along the lines of this bad boy: http://www.props4shows.co.uk/meats_hams__sausages/fake_beef_steak__18_x_8cm/25615_p.html

My only requests are that it look like raw meat to the untrained eye, and be made out of a material that will hold up over time.

To give you a little bit of my background, I am a fine art painter and sculptor, so I have a lot of experience working with clay and such, but not so much experience with materials like latex and silicone, though I do not fear them and assume this project might require them.

I am open to all suggestions and help. You're awesome.
I've been lurking around here for a minute, so I'm super stoked to finally have an excuse to post!

Thaaaaanks!

I'm not sure about what material to cast it in,, but I have a suggestion about the steak itself.

You could use a real steak and make a mold with alginate. From that you could cast a positive in Ultracal 30 or some other casting material. This will
give you a permanent positive to make additional molds. Or you could pour melted clay into your alginate negative and make a rigid Ultracal mold from that.
You could use a variety of casting materials in the Ultracal including hot melt vinyl.

If you do try alginate, you may have to use a cooking spray to keep it from sticking to the steak.

By the way, was this project inspired my the haunted steak in Poltergiest?

v3d is right....

The best way to go about this project would be to do a mold of the actual steak of choice using alginate, then casting it by pouring hot/melted clay (non-sulfurous) into the alginate mold. **(sulfur based clays will leave a residue that will react with the silicone and prevent it from kicking.)**

Pull the clay positive, clean it up, make any changes, then make a two piece rigid box mold from resin or ultra-cal 30. Once the mold is complete cast final in silicone. Silicone is you best option for realism and mimicking flesh, it can be tinted and painted intrinsically which adds the most the realism as it makes the colors look like they are coming from within the flesh, as real flash does and will last virtually longer on this planet than most of us.

A little background in a nut shell, 20 year career in the film industry as a Special Makeup Effects Artist means the first couple years were spent taking any and all jobs to pay the bills, including making fake food for commercials, photo-shoots, etc...

i realize my description of the process is vague but it's really basic skill level stuff, youtube filled with vids, I can even help walk ya through.

Just stay away from hot-melt vinyl, that stuff is bad news, so many shops won't even allow the use of it anymore...No Bueno.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back