Black Widow (Age of Ultron) - WIP

This is absolutely gorgeous work! Nat's AoU suit is my favorite of hers by far and you're definitely doing it justice! Also helpful to see all this for when I attempt to a genderbent AoU Widow for my friend's FemAvengers group that she's sucked me into haha

Eep, Yrien! Hope the migraine cleared up! I dealt with one of those this past weekend. Was not fun, and put a serious damper on my plans!

BW -- thank you! I do worry that, by taking my own interpretations, rather than going straight screen-accurate, it might suffer a bit. Trying to remain true to the original while keeping to my skill and equipment level can be quite a challenge! I'll be really curious to see how the genderbent AoU Widow turns out. =D

Ended up travelling to Galveston for an overnight trip last night, so I didn't get a lot done. Ended up tacking down the facings in the duster, and then actually sewing the beads onto the shoulder boards for Widow:

CNczSQiVEAAq5QW.jpg large.jpg

Back home today, and fighting some pretty nasty fatigue -- pilates this morning was apparently a bit more strenuous than I'd thought! Headed into the sewing room, though, to get the shoulder boards figured out and finish assembling the sleeves. I did some mods on the fly on Wednesday afternoon, so I'm hoping the sleeves will fit better now. I'm realizing the mesh/EL inserts will not quite be in the right seam, but I'm out of time for redesign, recut, and stitching. Maybe I'll eventually sell this one and start over. If I feel brave!

I need to get to the pants no later than Saturday, as I'd like to be done before Monday night. Crossing fingers and toes...

... also crossing fingers and toes that my boots -- ordered and then had to send back to be modified for fit issues -- will be completed and that shipping them to Atlanta won't be exorbitantly expensive. (Though I'm sure it will be. ::sigh:: )

Oh I definitely know that struggle, at the moment I'm finishing up a Cap's AoU suit and I've had to take more than a few liberties to keep it within my skills and budget haha. Genderbent Black Widow won't be for at least another year though, so maybe I'll have some more tricks under my belt to help! Good luck finishing everything up in time!

Yeah, I'm feeling much better. I have problems with muscle pain in my neck and shoulder, which can lead to migraines. I have meds that work, but only if I catch it early enough - I woke up with the migraine already well-established that morning so I went back to bed. :p

I hope you time to get everything done and that the boots work out! I'm on the homestretch with my Fraction Hawkeye so I hope I can get it pretty much done this weekend. I'm mostly at the painting stage now (though I also have to make the belts and straps for the quiver). I only have until Tuesday to finish everything!

Glad you're doing better! Migraines are the worst -- I've been able to hold mine at bay, but not without doing the same, i.e. taking the meds as it tries to creep up, or just making an effort not to wig out. Stress can be a particularly nasty trigger. =\

I hope the boots work out, too! I'm packing my backups, but I'm hoping I won't need them. I've still got 4 sections of EL wire to set up -- no, 6 sections: legs, side torso, and arms. If I can get my @#$% together, it'll take a little over an hour to get it all done. But I need to have the rest of the costume together before I can worry about it. And I'm still holding out hope for my gauntlets. Not much, but some.

Right now, fussing with the set-in sleeves. I hate them almost as much as I hate top stitching. Grr.

We've gotta have our suitcases packed by Tuesday night. I don't mind doing a couple of things in the hotel room (i.e. the wiring), but I prefer not to need to pack the sewing machine, thanks! =D

Good luck!

ETA: OMG... Trying on the jacket with the last sleeve basted in... Eee! It also occurs to me that, because I'm doing this in two parts, I can use the jacket for a "casual" cosplay. Bwahahaha... ::bounces off... then remembers she still has to stitch the sleeve and frowns::

Last edited:
My migraines are almost always caused by those stupid tight muscles in my neck, so I don't really have to worry about stress making it worse - but hunching over working on costume stuff doesn't help. :p

I can't wait to see yours all done! :D My bow is currently being painted and all I have left to do is the strapping for the quiver and arm guard and then I'm finished! And then packing on Tuesday so we can leave early Wednesday morning. I'm going to take some stuff with me in case any repairs are needed but I hopefully won't have anything left to do (unlike last year when I finished gluing the detail pieces onto my Star-Lord helmet in the hotel...).

Hi,
luckily I found your thread through Google. I'm starting my Black Widow AoU soon (atm sitting in Denmark and trying to keep the cosplay urge under control :D getting home on monday)
I just purchased a bodysuit pattern (from Yaya Han) cause I decided I like the costume to be a one piece. I'm not yet decided on the materials I will use. It seems so much harder to find good fabric in Germany :D Most times you don't finde pleather or 4 Way stretch (or the sellers don't know or don't tag it <.<)
I think about getting some neopren or similiar so I have a stretchy but still thick and though material. Her suit looks quite sturdy. As I'm a total noob when it comes to sewing (yep, prefered the worbla part from my Sylvanas Cosplay ;D) I'm not sure if I should just use thick material or do an underlining to make it thicker....
This costume gives me sever headache :D

Therefor I think I kinda figured out the wire thing. Just not decided yet. I LOVED andveryginger's idea with the teal net! Looks soooo cool and you are ok if the EL fails you in any way. Also this will be more effective indoors or in bright light in gerneral.
I think about going the same way. But I also found the wire to make it screen accurate. EL Wire in it's "natural way" is aqua colored, which is a light blue, and when off it shoes this redish wire thing which we can so on BW original costume. It's because EL wire is made with a copper core.
So I can just link you the german amazone but I'm sure you will find it anywhere else. It's from adafruit and it has a plastic cover which makes it sewable :D
http://www.amazon.de/EL-Wire-Türkis...&qid=1442087401&sr=8-3&keywords=el+wire+clear
I'm quite torn between making it more screen accurate and making it easier to wear and better for photos and cons.
Just wanted to let you know :) sry for the unorganized way of writing and all the questions and stuff.
lg :)

Sorry for the long absence, folks -- DragonCon was over and we suddenly went into overdrive to finish some projects around the house before the holidays.

The project did get finished, though I ended up doing a touch of soldering on the EL wire the night we arrived in Atlanta. Still, having my electronics kit with me came in handy for a number of reasons, and everything turned out well. I got a few compliments on my EL wire sleeves/pockets, actually. And, in the end, they were a good thing -- I had to re-solder a couple of the connections after the first night.

I was not as thrilled with the pants as I was with the jacket, so they're going to get a rework later this year. I'm not sure if I'll wear this version or go back to the old Avengers version ... or skip Widow entirely this season.

I'll try and get some completed photos onto the thread shortly.

... also crossing fingers and toes that my boots -- ordered and then had to send back to be modified for fit issues -- will be completed and that shipping them to Atlanta won't be exorbitantly expensive. (Though I'm sure it will be. ::sigh:: )

What boots did you use? We're trying to source them and having no luck.

What boots did you use? We're trying to source them and having no luck.

As far as I've been able to tell, in the films, the same boots were used for Avengers, Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron. There are plenty of wedge heel boots of similar size available online, but none with a front zip opening etc. The common option is to buy existing boots and make cosmetic changes or use boot covers. Silhouette Cosplay is currently working on Civil War boots and posting WIP photos on Facebook. Civil War boots are slightly different, but the same build methods apply.

I have materials to add the right type of straps and eyelets to my boots, which would make them closer to accurate, but I'm not sure I would be happy with just that. I'm worried that adding a front zip would ruin the fit. The boots I have are an excellent fit at the moment and that's a very important factor if I want to wear them for a full day at a convention, for example. I'm sort of torn on the boots issue.

P.S. Encouraged by Silhouette's good progress, I decided to buy another suitable pair of boots and will try to modify those...I'm looking into going to Dragon Con in September. The ones I found this time on Ebay look even easier to modify than the ones I have right now.

Last edited:
As far as I've been able to tell, in the films, the same boots were used for Avengers, Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron. There are plenty of wedge heel boots of similar size available online, but none with a front zip opening etc. The common option is to buy existing boots and make cosmetic changes or use boot covers. Silhouette Cosplay is currently working on Civil War boots and posting WIP photos on Facebook. Civil War boots are slightly different, but the same build methods apply.

I take it you mean the base boot and not the design on top of it? Images I've found from AoU look different and match the general glowing aesthetic. I think we found one on amazon for not much. Now to figure out shoe glue and such. I might go to good will and find a boot with similar fabric but any size so I can experiment with different coverings.

I take it you mean the base boot and not the design on top of it? Images I've found from AoU look different and match the general glowing aesthetic.

Ah, it seems there are additions around the top two straps: some metallic bits, two short glowing rods and an extral panel that wraps around the back. I don't know if they are permanently attached to the boots or just wrapped around the top & hanging on the straps. The rest looks the same to me.

To the boot question -- I actually ordered a pair of boots, custom made. They did not turn out as well as I would have liked, but they were decently comfortable and worked okay. It may have become time for me to learn how to do gaiters/bootcovers...

For the previous iteration of Widow, I ended up using a pair of off-the-shelf boots -- the "Oakley" from Mis Mooz. It's no longer in production, but was pretty darn close at the time.

aec98e67baaa69dc8bd2acbe5de194db.jpg

To the boot question -- I actually ordered a pair of boots, custom made. They did not turn out as well as I would have liked, but they were decently comfortable and worked okay. It may have become time for me to learn how to do gaiters/bootcovers...

For the previous iteration of Widow, I ended up using a pair of off-the-shelf boots -- the "Oakley" from Mis Mooz. It's no longer in production, but was pretty darn close at the time.

If building boot covers, and especially since the upper part of the off the shelf knee high boot won't match the finished product... what do you think about buying low boots/booties/ ankle boots and building up?

The keywords I used for looking for good "base boots" were: "mid calf wedge heel boots". Add "diamante" and "winter" and Google will probably find you the ones I currently use (unmodified). I have another roughly similar, but simpler pair of boots arriving in the mail today.

Aside from the boots in Iron Man 2, the wedge heel is really a signature part of the boot. The toe area should probably also have a downward slope.

The keywords I used for looking for good "base boots" were: "mid calf wedge heel boots". Add "diamante" and "winter" and Google will probably find you the ones I currently use (unmodified). I have another roughly similar, but simpler pair of boots arriving in the mail today.

Aside from the boots in Iron Man 2, the wedge heel is really a signature part of the boot. The toe area should probably also have a downward slope.

What do you think of this one? We'd have to paint the wedge obviously. But it's a good base. I kind of resent paying $36 for something we'll basically have to destroy to make it look right... but that's cosplay in a nutshell.

BW boots.jpg

The shape is about right. $36 is pretty close to what I paid, including shipping. I bought both pairs from UK vendors on Ebay. The soles on mine are rubber. Is a rubber sole & heel more comfortable to walk & stand in than a wooden one? I would think so?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back