Destiny (Video Game) Discussion

WyattLayne

I'm super excited to pick up Destiny on Tuesday, and I wanted to see if anyone else in the RPF family was too, so I thought I'd start this general discussion thread.

I'm planning on picking it up for Xbox One, and I'd love to meet up with some other guardians in game, so let me know if you are planning on picking it up too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game looks amazing, i'm hoping to get some of the goodies from the Ghost edition off ebay when folks start selling them. I'll get this eventually but as gorgeous as it is i can't justify 60.00 on top of the game price to play. I'm hoping to hear how good it is. Can you play across consoles? I know that microsoft and sony supposedly were working on that.

Can you play across consoles? I know that microsoft and sony supposedly were working on that.

Won't happen. Ever. That is if you're thinking Sony players playing against/with MS players. Aside from the political and competitive business issues, the technical ones don't justify even trying to do so. How do you identify players if x amount of people have gamertags and the other x amount have PSN tags? Another thing is interaction. Such as a MS player inviting a PS one to their team and trying to communicate with them. Just not going to happen.

It won't happen cross generation either because of hardware. PS4/XB1 players will have an advantage in multiplayer over PS3/360 players because of graphic fidelity. Much like how PC players with the more powerful graphics card have the advantage in competitive multiplayer. Only option is if (and I greatly emphasize if) Bungie decides to port the game to PC and does something similar to how EVE Online and Dust 514 work together. Even then, it's a long shot.

I work at a video game retailer, so been up to my eyeballs in Destiny for months. Tomorrow night will either be a blast or hell. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game, I wasn't wowed by the alpha or the beta, but I'm still actually trusting Bungie to deliver on this. I'm not convinced they're going to get the 10 year life out of this they hope for, but hopefully for them they at least break even on the half billion they've poured into the game. $20 DCL every three months for ten years should do that if they can maintain a decent player base.I'll be playing on PS4, Sandman2814 if anyone is so inclined.

I work at a video game retailer, so been up to my eyeballs in Destiny for months. Tomorrow night will either be a blast or hell. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game, I wasn't wowed by the alpha or the beta, but I'm still actually trusting Bungie to deliver on this. I'm not convinced they're going to get the 10 year life out of this they hope for, but hopefully for them they at least break even on the half billion they've poured into the game. $20 DCL every three months for ten years should do that if they can maintain a decent player base.I'll be playing on PS4, Sandman2814 if anyone is so inclined.
I'll be playing on PS4 too, i'll add you, but just in case i'm macethecat

Rich

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything (I'm honestly oblivious to all things in-game and only have seen a few game clips)... Is there some really unique aspects to this game vs. other 1st person shooters that I should consider getting this one?

I have an XB One, but don't have a ton of time on my hands to play games and would prefer it be something I can jump in and out of as I please and doesn't involve an insane amount of time investment at once.

I like the aspect of creating your character, but seeing as it's FPS, how do you get to enjoy your character in action other than movie cutscenes if all you see is a gun in front of you exploring terrain?

Thanks in advance for your insight. I have seen a bunch of great FPS, but after a while they seem to be all the same offering not a whole lot new. This game definitely has a big one up on visuals with atmosphere and details.

It's essentially Halo crossed with Borderlands as an MMO. You get to see your character in 3rd person in the non-combat areas, I don't recall any cutscenes that actually show your character though. The game is essentially an FPSMMO, so any endgame content is going to require an investment of time but you won't necessarily have to do it all at once. That said, it looks like every three months they're going to have expansion DLC, so it may prove difficult to keep "caught up" if you don't have a lot of time on your hands.

Ok. I know nothing about the game but I love FPS games.
I watched some gameplay on Gamespot and it doesn't look that spectacular. It looks good but it looks like it plays like any other average FPS.

The OP link is an amazing cutscene ... but the gameplay is what counts and I'm not seeing what the fuss is about. Are there some cool mechanics or concepts that don't come across in the Gamespot gameplay video?

If you've played a Bungie-made Halo game you've basically played Destiny. Controls the same, certain enemies move exactly like Elites,
there's a second evil alien race that's called the Hive so they've got their Flood nod
, music could be straight out of Halo, and the art design is so clearly Bungie that it wouldn't feel out of place to be Master Chief shooting covenant in any of the locations. The whole thing feels like they are trying to make something other than Halo and Marathon but they don't really know how.

It's Halo with the class/weapon/armor/stat/quest RPG elements from Borderlands. The only "cool" concept is that it's a first person shooter massively multiplayer online game (not that Bungie will actually use that terminology) and even then that's sort of just more of Borderlands taken a step further.

*Maybe* the one unique bit is the random mobs that will pop up that all the players in the area can gang up on. It's not a unique feature in an MMO, but it's unique to shooters afaik.

I'm thinking of picking up the PS4 version. I really don't have a lot of time to play so I was wondering if someone could fill me in a little bit. I know you can play a lot of parts single person but some parts are pretty much only available to complete with a group. I don't like leaving a group hanging if I have to cut out because I just can't stay for the whole mission. How much is multi player only? Is it worth it if I mainly play solo?

Well I've been play it for most of this evening and I cannot say it knocks my socks off, at least not like Halo did. The story is okay ,fighting ok, exploration ok, graphics ok its all generally very OK. Problem is it feels like so many others I've played like KOTOR, Borderlands etc, and the missions are becoming repetitive ,going over the same territories, upgrading weapons , then your enemies upgrade. Don't know if Bungie will recoupe all the money they have spent on it, I cannot say I'm absolutely rivetted to it, I'm off to bed now, whilst with Halo you were talking "just another hour, I don't need sleep....... until the sun came up." Its a very good game but GREAT......... I don't know. The story isn't half as strong as Halo was. I see how much I'm playing it come the longer winter evenings when there's not much on the TV.

I hear ya. Halo 3 I came home from the store at midnight and did not stop playing that game until it was beaten, sleep be damned. Destiny is not grabbing me in that same addictive "just one more level" way.

I'm only level 3.5 so far, but i'm really enjoying the game.

It must be almost impossible to come up with original games that deliver addictive gameplay and jaw-dropping visuals....that's why we've essentially got an rpg-esque Halo-a-like.

However, i like the way it looks and plays. The mechanics are pretty instinctive and react well, it's just me that can't aim for ****!!! Maybe with some friends playing in co-op it might become awesome, but i'll wait and see.

I don't dig the way i start out at the same spot in Russia every mission so far......i don't like that "travelling to a destination in your spaceship" loading screen thing...beautiful the first time, but the 4th and 5th? I don't like the way missions end, then boot you out of the area, denying you the right to explore.....

In the Beta i was a Warlock, which was fun, in this i'm a Hunter which i like, but i don't seem to have any grenades??? I didn't want to be a Titan, well....because it just felt too obvious...lol.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back