Dark Souls, Artorias + greatsword build

McKilligan

So I've been living in Seoul (english teacher) for nearly 5 years, and there's a monthly convention that happens around here that I like to visit occasionally (Seoul Comic World). I've been well impressed with the costumes on display there, and had the urge to get more into it myself. So, last year, I spent most of the summer throwing together a sort of cyborg / detective character design that had been bouncing around in my head for a while (dubbed 'Phillip K. Marlowe'). I had a blast with it, but it was a relatively simple costume, and I had the itch to really sink my teeth into something bigger.

So I settled on Artorias. A cursory google search turned up only about 2 instances of anyone attempting to build it, and in all honesty, I felt that I could do better. Initially I was curious to see if I could do the whole thing in cardboard - At that point I wasn't really going for a quality build, I was toying with ideas. That turned out to be an abject failure, so I fell back on the methods that I used with my Marlowe build - EVA foam and polyurethane resin. Given my apartment space, I don't have the room or budget for a huge build, so this was the best option given my resources and work space.

In February this year, I had a two week vacatio back to the states, during which I took full advantage of access to my dad's workshop to build the Abyss Greatsword. 2 weeks was plenty of time to finish the build, though a large portion of it was spent just waiting for components to dry enough to move on to the next phase. Anyway, the build log is below, if you have any questions about it (I wasn't particularly thorough with the documentation), let me know.

Back in Seoul, I stocked up on EVA foam and set to work - the full build took about 3 months or sporadic evening / weekend work, and sadly, the whole thing was completed just in time for Summer. Wearing this in the comfort of my own apartment for 10 minutes was enough time to break out in an uncomfortable sweat, so there's no way in hell I'd take the suit outside in anything warmer than 70 degrees, so I'm waiting on the fall conventions before everything gets it's proper debut.

Yes, I know, my apartment is tiny, and the contrast is humorous, but even so! Not too bad.

C8W0DoU.jpgnx5vffm.jpg

It should be noted that since these photos were taken, I've done a great deal of weathering and corruption effects to the armour, The helmet has also had substantial detailing. Sadly, haven't had the opportunity to don the whole thing again yet to get a new set of pictures, still holding out for the fall/winter con season here so I don't die of heat stroke. I did, at least, take pictures of the corruption effects for the greatsword . The first layers was a 1:1 mix of silver and black acrylic ink, the second layer was just pure black, globbed on nice and thick towards the middle portions.

Here is a link to my build log for the armor

And here is the build log for the Abyss Greatsword, which was actually completed first.

Last edited:
It`s fantastic!! Have you used any kind of pattern for the helmet,chest,arms,etc?? I`m looking for patterns to do this cosplay.

I almost forgot about this thread entirely - Anyway, I've taken the costume out a couple times, here are some of my favorite shots so far. These have been collected from a bunch of different photographers, but I think I managed to choose the ones without TOO many filters applied. If you guys have any questions about the build, let me know.

darksouls- (6).jpghYs9QMn.jpgIMG_7182.JPGQOP4J24.jpgvuvVKRT.jpgNK6QuzC.jpgdarksouls- (8).jpg

Wow.. those pics are great! Love the one with the helm off. That look in your eye.. epic!

Nice work.

I absolutely love this build and had to read your build log rightaway... very impressive.
Really like the "gooping" effect down the arm from the pauldron slash wound. And in general all the battle worn effects look very nice!
Thanks for sharing this and going into detail about your paint mixtures too.

It`s fantastic!! nice work!
i wonder how do you deal with 'blue linen'
it is a piece or two pieces of linen
i interest the detail:thumbsup

No idea if your on anymore but is there any templates you had when making this? and what type of eva foam did you use. I clicked the build log and idk how I could ever pull that off with out some sort of instruction and tutorial since i am new to cosplay

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back