Fear The Walking Dead (spin off series)

I know a lot of people have their issues with this new series, especially after the first episode. But I say give it a chance. Hell, even the first season of The Walking Dead had its issues, and some of the viewers had the same complaints about the characterizations too. I say give Fear The Walking Dead a chance. I mean, this first season is only six episodes (that's one episode more than the first season of WD), and its probably trying to find its footing, and the characters have to start out as mundane because life is full of mundane people until extraordinary circumstances occur (the characters we start off with may end up evolving from how they start. Hell, Rick started off as a typical sheriff and isn't the same character in comparison to how he is now). If by the end of the sixth episode of this season you still feel the same, you're welcome to judge all you want.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

As for Lazarus; wouldn't it have been awesome if he had jumped up and started eating someone! :thumbsup

Forget Lazarus. Try *****, the original zombie. XD

Last edited:
I do kind of wish that FTWD was going to be an anthology series with new towns and people every season. I think it would be pretty unique to let 99% of a group get wiped out during the season and then just leave us wondering what happens to the survivors at the end.
Yes that would be great!

Yeah, last zombie ***** joke was on "Futurama" with the Professor exclaiming "SWEET ZOMBIE *****!" which has been censored on TV every time it's been shown after the original run. I can't imagine they'll try that anytime soon.

Yeah, last zombie ***** joke was on "Futurama" with the Professor exclaiming "SWEET ZOMBIE *****!" which has been censored on TV every time it's been shown after the original run. I can't imagine they'll try that anytime soon.

It doesn't get censored over here.

I know I am late to the party and must confess that I have not read through the post here, but I found it meh at best. I will give it a couple of more watches before quitting because, zombies, but I was already rooting for all the characters to get eaten in the most horrid ways.

I remember seeing an episode on Comedy Central where Farnsworth actually says that. Didn't even notice it was censored.

These people are dealing with something that is completely alien to their view of the world. Zombies don't even exist in fantasy, it's something entirely new to them!

I've been wondering along those lines. Has it been stated somewhere that they don't even have fictional zombies in media before the collapse?

Even if zombies don't exist if something weird starts happening around the country you'd think someone would notice, especially if it's gory news.

It's been mentioned there are no zombies in his world in a few places, here's an interview when WD was coming to TV.

http://www.thewrap.com/why-walking-dead-walkers-are-called-walkers-and-an-episode-3-preview-video/

Even if zombies don't exist if something weird starts happening around the country you'd think someone would notice, especially if it's gory news.

People notice, it's just they don't immediately understand or know what they are dealing with. As you saw in the video, the cop shot the guy multiple times before he was shot in the head. They don't know you have to destroy the brain, they don't know that they're really dead but still moving around and trying to eat people. It's all something new to their experience, with there being no zombie lore in that world.

I've been wondering along those lines. Has it been stated somewhere that they don't even have fictional zombies in media before the collapse?

In one of the "Letters to the Writer" articles in the comics. That's where Kirkman explained that the world of the story has no concept of zombies like we do, him even stating that the Romeo films were never made (and let's face it, if it weren't for the Romero films, every zombie film in existence wouldn't have come to be).

My concern was the scope. Just the one family? Why not two families from different parts of the city ending up together due to the apocalypse? And why no CDC/government characters giving us info on the outbreak, some NEW info that we don't already know? I guess the answer is budget but it got boring looking at the same faces whining about really small problems relative to the zombieapocalypse.

Yeah, it doesn't matter that no one knows what a zombie is or has never heard of the term. I don't know why you guys are so fixated on that.

People start attacking other people. Not dying of gunshot wounds and trying to eat the flesh of others. That phenomenon suddenly happening around the city, state, nation, world? Would be in the news within hours in today's digital age.

My concern was the scope. Just the one family? Why not two families from different parts of the city ending up together due to the apocalypse? And why no CDC/government characters giving us info on the outbreak, some NEW info that we don't already know? I guess the answer is budget but it got boring looking at the same faces whining about really small problems relative to the zombieapocalypse.

I'm sure that the cast will expand over time, it's only the first episode after all.

Do the walkers in FTWD have blue eyes as opposed to TWD yellowish red eyes?
Plus, thought that Matt's eyes got bluer the more he got mangled.
Perhaps this could be a different strain.

In one of the "Letters to the Writer" articles in the comics. That's where Kirkman explained that the world of the story has no concept of zombies like we do, him even stating that the Romeo films were never made (and let's face it, if it weren't for the Romero films, every zombie film in existence wouldn't have come to be).

He'd be wrong though. It's fair for him to claim there are no Romero films or anything inspired by them but it'd silly for him to imply there are no voodoo zombies. So there are old zombie movies out there like White Zombie and maybe even current films like The Serpent and the Rainbow. People in this world might know the word zombie but the simple fact is that these creatures are not zombies, they would more likely be called a ghast or ghoul, perhaps a revenant or a dozen others names from the old countries.

He'd be wrong though. It's fair for him to claim there are no Romero films or anything inspired by them but it'd silly for him to imply there are no voodoo zombies. So there are old zombie movies out there like White Zombie and maybe even current films like The Serpent and the Rainbow. People in this world might know the word zombie but the simple fact is that these creatures are not zombies, they would more likely be called a ghast or ghoul, perhaps a revenant or a dozen others names from the old countries.

But it was Romero's films that equated the term zombie to reanimated corpses that feasted on living flesh (even though the films never used the term). Prior to that, anything that was zombie related, including White Zombie , those zombies didn't eat people, and they were just mindless automatons (and in both the films you mentioned, the zombies were what's considered "living zombies", basically human beings that appeared to be dead, but weren't, often depicted as no longer being who they are) that were being controlled by humans through voodoo to do their master's bidding. So, without Romero's films, people wouldn't have thought of the term zombies to apply to the Walkers because zombies eating human flesh was introduced in NOTLD. But the irony is in the first three films, there was never a mention of the word zombie, though voodoo was mentioned in Dawn of the Dead in the iconic dialogue given by Peter.

Without Romero, the term "zombie" wouldn't be used for the Walkers because Romero's films made the word "zombie" well known (especially in the U.S.) AND associated with dead corpses wanting to eat human flesh, much like how Return of the Living Dead associated the term "zombie" with dead corpses that wanted to eat brains. Think about it like this: let's say the Romero films never existed and you live in the U.S. (which I'm hypothesizing that you do anyway), do you honestly think you would know the term "zombie", let alone associate it with corpses that have resurrected and eat living flesh? Even more so, would you honestly know such creatures as "ghosts" or "ghouls" if you weren't familiar with those terms? You probably wouldn't unless you were studying Voodoo or were from those old countries to use those terms, and would probably use terms you're familiar with to associate with them, much like many of the characters in The Walking Dead do ("Walkers" because they're walking. "Biters" because they bite. "Geeks" because of canival performers who performed wild or disgusting acts, which often included eating living things while they were still alive).

So, Kirkman is right about the lack of the word zombie being used in the story, especially in the U.S., because Romero's films pretty much made the term zombie such a well known one through association, as well as made the zombie genre as we know it now the way it is. Without NOTLD, the term would only be in use by Haitians, people studying ethnobotany or ethnology, or are someone who practices Voodoo. And so far in the shows, none of the characters fit those categories. So, no use of the word zombie by U.S. characters because there was no Romero Dead films to associate the word with and leaving them to come up with their own terms, like any one else would in that scenario in their own countries.

I agree with everything about zombies not being a household word without NotLD but I have to disagree about no one using ghoul or ghast. While ghoul and ghast aren't quite the household word that zombie is they're aren't exactly unknown in this country, hundreds, if not thousands, of D&D (and other fantasy RPG) players would beg to differ. Ghouls and ghasts were part of D&D's undead menagerie and I think that a lot of D&D players would think ghoul upon encountering a zombie if the word zombie did not exist in the American lexicon.

I agree with everything about zombies not being a household word without NotLD but I have to disagree about no one using ghoul or ghast. While ghoul and ghast aren't quite the household word that zombie is they're aren't exactly unknown in this country, hundreds, if not thousands, of D&D (and other fantasy RPG) players would beg to differ. Ghouls and ghasts were part of D&D's undead menagerie and I think that a lot of D&D players would think ghoul upon encountering a zombie if the word zombie did not exist in the American lexicon.

In other interviews, he's said the entire concept of dead people getting up and eating living people is entirely new to them. It's not just the term zombie, or Romero's work, it's every source of that kind of thing doesn't exist in his setting.

It's been mentioned there are no zombies in his world in a few places, here's an interview when WD was coming to TV.

http://www.thewrap.com/why-walking-dead-walkers-are-called-walkers-and-an-episode-3-preview-video/

People notice, it's just they don't immediately understand or know what they are dealing with. As you saw in the video, the cop shot the guy multiple times before he was shot in the head. They don't know you have to destroy the brain, they don't know that they're really dead but still moving around and trying to eat people. It's all something new to their experience, with there being no zombie lore in that world.

True and to be fair there's alot of mental illnesses and drugs that could cause someone to take damage like that. There's a lot of stories of folks on PCP taking massive amounts of damage before going down, not to mention some folks on bath salts. They could chock it up to drugs or insanity too.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back