Fear The Walking Dead (spin off series)

I don't think you were paying attention. Did she believe it personally? I doubt it. Was it a ruse to draw the guy out and away from the rest so they could capture him and get the information the barber wanted? Yes.

And regarding being offended.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]”

That's because it is genuinely offensive. As prior military, with friends who are prior military, and probably people I know who are still in I'm sick and tired of the portrayal of the military as a bunch of mindless drones and a bunch of a-holes. Newsflash, people in the military are people too, we don't get brainwashed and indoctrinated to follow every stupid order given to us, to the letter, and act like jerks (or worse) when interacting with civilians, esp. with American civilians. This would be even more so with Guardsmen who are basically like Reservists who, most of the time, only don the uniform once a month and for 2 weeks during the summer; they're not going to be acting the way they do on the show. They'd be much more sympathetic because these could be some of their friends, relatives, or neighbors. They're not from some other part of the US and stationed in CA or LA, they'd be from CA and most likely LA on top of it so why would they be so hostile like they're in a foreign country with insurgents at every turn?

That's because it is genuinely offensive. As prior military, with friends who are prior military, and probably people I know who are still in I'm sick and tired of the portrayal of the military as a bunch of mindless drones and a bunch of a-holes. Newsflash, people in the military are people too, we don't get brainwashed and indoctrinated to follow every stupid order given to us, to the letter, and act like jerks (or worse) when interacting with civilians, esp. with American civilians. This would be even more so with Guardsmen who are basically like Reservists who, most of the time, only don the uniform once a month and for 2 weeks during the summer; they're not going to be acting the way they do on the show. They'd be much more sympathetic because these could be some of their friends, relatives, or neighbors. They're not from some other part of the US and stationed in CA or LA, they'd be from CA and most likely LA on top of it so why would they be so hostile like they're in a foreign country with insurgents at every turn?

Sadly I'm not shocked given how anti American and anti military hollywood is.

I enjoy plenty of shows about PEOPLE...

When they are interesting. With a well-written plot. And intriguing mechanisms in the story.

This show does not have that. The original series is one of my favorite shows on TV, and I completely agree that it is about people.

I look forward to your next rebuttal.

Sounds like @Kerr Avon is 'offended' with all the name calling and passive/aggressive comments.

That being said.. I understand what TWD is about (the people).. and I like it.

The characters make sense, and their actions make sense to many of us, as 'authentic'.. where as (for me) FTWD characters do not.

Just because I may have never heard the murder... if someone had a gun and was pointing it at me.. I'd run on instinct. (regardless of 'labels'.. but because of the current situation and self-preservation).

I think the other characters/actors (the filler roles, background actors) have it more 'correct' than then main characters. (there would be riots, fights, people doing bad things)..

but you dont act like you can do what you want because your a main character,. TRYING. TO. HARD.

The instinct has been bugging me as well.

For instance, when the Ebola scare was going on you saw people in hazmat suits, wearing medical masks, staying away from people who were potentially infectious. In FTWD.... none of that. "Oh hey, a dude that has blood running out of his mouth and was eating a dog. Let me walk right up to him despite the fact that there have been warnings that an illness is going around."

It doesn't make any sort of logical sense.

If you suspect someone of being sick, you keep your distance. If you see an animal that may have rabies, you don't go near it. Those aren't related to zombie folklore, it's common knowledge. So apparently FTWD is written in an alternate universe with a lack of zombie folklore AND a lack of common sense.

If you suspect someone of being sick, you keep your distance. If you see an animal that may have rabies, you don't go near it. Those aren't related to zombie folklore, it's common knowledge. So apparently FTWD is written in an alternate universe with a lack of zombie folklore AND a lack of common sense.

Did you watch any of the episodes? Based on your previous posts, I can only assume you haven't actually seen the show. If you had, you might remember how Travis and Madison wanted the daughter to get away from the boy friend while he was laying in bed, sweating and looking extremely sick. They get her away from him without getting near the boyfriend themselves. They asked each other if the cause of the walkers was the sickness or not.

The walker in their house, well, the walker was IN THEIR HOUSE. They kinda had to do something to address it, unless you are suggesting they completely abandon their home, in the middle of the night, with no plan.

But it doesn't matter since you apparently don't watch the show.

I know that zombies don't exist in movies, TV, folklore, etc in both shows, but why not? Have the producers ever said why they went with that decision, not to have any zombie history at all in the shows? Just wondering.

I know that zombies don't exist in movies, TV, folklore, etc in both shows, but why not? Have the producers ever said why they went with that decision, not to have any zombie history at all in the shows? Just wondering.

I think they are just following the standard zombie trope where characters don't know about zombies and never use the Z word either.

Black James Bond might be saving this show for me. So far I'm liking this episode a lot. The military monsters and rape maniacs still bug me when I see it though.

Last edited:
I KNEW it! I just knew that Sandrine Holt wasn't going to make it. Seriously, they just had to have her kill herself. DAMN IT! I was hoping she would go with the group (they could use a doctor), but no. They have the others leave her, and she grabs the bolt gun with a clearly hinting she was about to use it on herself.

The military last stand didn't do it for me. I would think they would have some machine guns mounted on the walls, towers, along with area of effect weapons like MK19 grenade launchers. Just something that would take out a lot of walkers. It looked like they only had rifles. Also those helicopters should have been mowing down walkers and they weren't even shooting. A helicopter with a minigun, which most U.S. transport helos mount, could have held them off while they loaded aboard. I guess they couldn't afford the FX for that...

Not to mention we didn't see the same things happening in LA that were shown in flashbacks of Atlanta. They showed the military bombing the city to kill the walkers. Yeah everything is confusing, but you'd think if the military had that response for one city they would be doing similar things everywhere.

The military last stand didn't do it for me. I would think they would have some machine guns mounted on the walls, towers, along with area of effect weapons like MK19 grenade launchers. Just something that would take out a lot of walkers. It looked like they only had rifles. Also those helicopters should have been mowing down walkers and they weren't even shooting. A helicopter with a minigun, which most U.S. transport helos mount, could have held them off while they loaded aboard. I guess they couldn't afford the FX for that...

Not to mention we didn't see the same things happening in LA that were shown in flashbacks of Atlanta. They showed the military bombing the city to kill the walkers. Yeah everything is confusing, but you'd think if the military had that response for one city they would be doing similar things everywhere.

I don't think it was the FX budget, it was purely for the convenience of the plot because that is what they needed to happen.
In reality, I would a well defended military position should be able to pick off a herd of walkers quite easily, or at least blow the bodies into enough bits that they would be essentially neutralized

I'm interested to see how the boat thing pans out. I would figure the out on the water should be the safest place, just coming in for supplies every so often to minimize contact. Although the biggest threat would be from other living "pirates"

Speaking of boats, something a friend and I talk about from time to time is, where is the USN in The Walking Dead? You have to figure that will all or the ships and subs out at sea at any given time there's a whole lot of people out there who shouldn't infected, unless the source of the infection is from food. Sure, there would be a few infected ships, the ones that set to sea after the infection came about but before it became a serious epidemic but all of the ships that were already out to sea at that time would be virus free, so where are they? If they were smart they would stay out at sea, maybe close enough to the coast to be able to send foraging/raiding missions for more food but definitely not tie myself up to a dock or anything. The best off would be aircraft carrier battle group and an amphibious ready group, esp. the ARG which would have lots of helos and landing craft as well as trucks, Humvees, and armored vehicles for going into town to scavenge for fuel and supplies.

Speaking of boats, something a friend and I talk about from time to time is, where is the USN in The Walking Dead? You have to figure that will all or the ships and subs out at sea at any given time there's a whole lot of people out there who shouldn't infected, unless the source of the infection is from food. Sure, there would be a few infected ships, the ones that set to sea after the infection came about but before it became a serious epidemic but all of the ships that were already out to sea at that time would be virus free, so where are they? If they were smart they would stay out at sea, maybe close enough to the coast to be able to send foraging/raiding missions for more food but definitely not tie myself up to a dock or anything. The best off would be aircraft carrier battle group and an amphibious ready group, esp. the ARG which would have lots of helos and landing craft as well as trucks, Humvees, and armored vehicles for going into town to scavenge for fuel and supplies.

Everyone is already infected though, so it doesn't matter where you are. In fact, there's probably a lot of boats and subs full of walkers

I don't know, I just couldn't get into the show, and feel the realism of fear in the people...everyone to me just didn't seem like this life altering event was effecting most of them ....I know I would freak the he** out , if this was happening , and get out and keep moving out of town , into the mountains ....I just wasn't into the show...but I understand others loved it and why some hated it.....I guess its all about the mental aspect of what someone senses about a catastrophe

Everyone is already infected though, so it doesn't matter where you are. In fact, there's probably a lot of boats and subs full of walkers

While that's true it's safe to say that at one point nobody was and that's what I'm referring to, ships that set out to sea before the infection came into being. All of those people, including cruise liners, merchant ships, and other civilian vessels would be zombie virus free when all of this starts happening. Some of them would have made it to port before being warned but not all of them, there's just too many traveling varying distances at varying speeds for that to be possible, so it's possible that there could be any number of floating safe havens out there; actually, not just could but should, esp. now a days in the age of satellite communications, TV, & internet, these ships (esp. the long haulers like naval vessels, merchant ships, and cruise liners) would have known about what's going on back on land and/or warned to not come to shore.

One thing that I realized thinking a little more about this is that eventually even with these safe havens every on board would probably eventually contract the zombie virus (even if they don't die from it) if they conduct any 'away missions' and go to shore for food, fuel, and other supplies depending on exactly how the virus is spread.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back