D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

The second trailer is fantastic. I love the new heat vision! I've probably watched both trailers like 20 times now and still get the same giddy reaction.

ODNCTI1.jpg

On another note, I gotta give credit to Melissa Benoist for completely owning the action scenes. She's really selling the action scenes.

I just watched the leaked first episode (available through all the usual sources).

All the anger over the romcom feel of the "first look" trailer is highly misplaced.

To be perfectly honest, I would say that 99.9% of the sappy, goofy stuff is in that trailer. The rest of the episode is quite well done and, frankly, reminiscent of The Flash's pilot episode in terms of feel.

Is it a little shaky in terms of overall quality? Sure, but that's to be expected. The cast and crew are still new to each other and haven't completely gelled as a team yet.

Overall, I give it a 7.6/10. I would definitely keep watching.

Was glad to see it's not as much rom com as we thought, but I still didn't clicked. It's not bad at all though, but not for me I believe. Then again I'm probably not in the target audience anyway. I'll tune in for the second episode when it goes out, to make sure I'm not missing anything, the Flash wasn't as good as it is now when it started neither.

The bones of the show are good, and I think Benoist is a compelling lead. I've watched the episode twice now and it genuinely made me feel happy and entertained, this is a perfect Super-family character. I now understand the fans who grieve over the fact that the DC TV and movie universes aren't connected and keeping Gustin and Amell in their roles, I can't imagine watching someone else play Kara and hope that she stays on TV and off the big screen for that reason.

Funny thing is that the vast majority of complaints I hear about the Supergirl pilot revolve around two things:

1) "She isn't as blonde as she should be."

2) "Superman's eye beams are red. Why are hers bluish white?"

My only thought is this: If that's all you can find to complain about, I think we have a winner.

Liked it but it has "pilot issues" for sure.

Bad: Tries to cover a LOT of things to establish this overarching story so doesn't dwell too much on any one point... which in turn made the pacing feel really off to me. Glen Winter is one of my LEAST favorite Flash/Arrow directors.

Good: Cast is charismatic. Effects look good. Seem to be doing a similar style of plot that Flash is using (a little bit of monster of the week while slowing building the main villain throughout the season).

I was a fan of Smallville...not many people will admit to that. Sure it sucked that it took 10 years for him to put on the suit, but the show was never about that. It was always about building the values, charm, and character of the young man who would become Superman and for that I think it did really well. I think Flash does this really well, too. Flash has some great effects shots, but some of it's strongest scenes are the character moments: Any Barry/Joe or Barry/Henry scene or the Cisco/Wells scene in Out of Time.

Basically, I'm hopeful this show will be more about character building and less about "Hey, we've got a Kryptonian on TV again!"

The first trailer that was released didn't do it justice. Whoever cut that trailer should be fired. Out of a cannon into a brick wall.

It wasn't bad overall. Hopefully they'll drop the crap like 'you just gotta help me pick out clothes for a blind date!' and write stories like they would for a male lead. I'll probably follow it when it starts up on a regular basis and see how it goes.

Getting Dean Cain as the adoptive father though, wonderful.

Last edited:
I was a fan of Smallville...not many people will admit to that. Sure it sucked that it took 10 years for him to put on the suit, but the show was never about that. It was always about building the values, charm, and character of the young man who would become Superman and for that I think it did really well.
THANK YOU! Glad to see someone else who gets what Smallville was all about.
Getting Dean Cain as the adoptive father though, wonderful.

Not to mention Helen Slater as the adoptive mother...

Looked at the pilot, it was a bit compressed given they are setting up the show so things happen fast. From leaving Krypton to deciding to embrace her powers, family revelations and establishing in the media Supergirl in 45 minutes. Whew!. A few lines a bit contrived...
"finally a hero for my daughter to look up to." Well there are lots of women heroes they just don't have capes and can fly.
Kara Zor-El the last daughter of Krypton's first flight forebodes well to me.

THANK YOU! Glad to see someone else who gets what Smallville was all about.

Not to mention Helen Slater as the adoptive mother...

The problem was, what smallville WAS about kind of ended after year 4-5 or so. You then had a final 4-5 years of 'get on with it already' - then to cap it off, you never actually show him in the suit. Closest you get is him opening his shirt to reveal the logo.

The trailer nipped that issue in the bud right there - full suit, plain as day, no gimmicks...

I loved Smallville, but I agree that the origin story was pretty much done in 4-5 seasons. Once they started with doomsday, zod, Lois, and a pretty formal justice league team (instead of cameos)
, we deserved to see Superman not the leather jacketed blur.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back