D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

Full circle i guess. People flipped out of Grant's singing when they did the karaoke thing in season 1, now it's no singing period :)

Full circle i guess. People flipped out of Grant's singing when they did the karaoke thing in season 1, now it's no singing period :)

Because it's not a singing show. Hey, Grant can sing. So can Jesse L. Martin. Great for them. But this is not a show about singing, it's a show about superheroes. If I wanted to watch a show about singing, I'd go watch reruns of Glee. I have no interest in it. I don't really have a problem writing the strengths of the actors and actresses into the show in a way that makes sense. Having alternate-universe Joe being a lounge singer was fine. He got to showcase his skills and it didn't interfere with the show. But most musical episodes are anomalies. They force it into the show in a really bizarre, genre-breaking way. Even if it turns out to be a fun episode, it still doesn't belong. If you want a singing cast, make a show about singing. These are not two tastes that go great together, at least IMO.

I'm a little bit behind:
"Homecoming"... where Tim Daly comes back.
Perhaps the "worst episode ever". Very disappointing. My blood boils when normally intelligent characters are so painfully stupid just because the plot needs them to be. OF COURSE there could be Stockholm Syndrome, and OF COURSE an agency that deals heavily with espionage, security and all that "spook" stuff would have processes in place to bring a returning agent back in slowly over a long period of evaluation....not just throw them the friggin' keys right away.
And the soap-operaness of the other characters getting their widdle feelings hurt like nine-year-olds when this is brought up. These (we thought) are mature adults.

Idiotic writing.

I'm a little bit behind:
"Homecoming"... where Tim Daly comes back.
Perhaps the "worst episode ever". Very disappointing. My blood boils when normally intelligent characters are so painfully stupid just because the plot needs them to be. OF COURSE there could be Stockholm Syndrome, and OF COURSE an agency that deals heavily with espionage, security and all that "spook" stuff would have processes in place to bring a returning agent back in slowly over a long period of evaluation....not just throw them the friggin' keys right away.
And the soap-operaness of the other characters getting their widdle feelings hurt like nine-year-olds when this is brought up. These (we thought) are mature adults.

Idiotic writing.

compared to flash wich is just fun, supergirl tends to remind me of smallville. frustrating in the extreme cause the elements are right for it to be great.

add to it the teen soap opera vibe and ugh.

compared to flash wich is just fun, supergirl tends to remind me of smallville. frustrating in the extreme cause the elements are right for it to be great.

add to it the teen soap opera vibe and ugh.

Exactly, and this week's episode is every bit as bad, over-emotional drama masquerading as plot. But that's what CW does, isn't it?

Okay, this may be a really stupid question, but is the Martian Manhunter done with CGI or is it a dude in make-up? If it is make up, is it the same actor? Cause he seems much taller? Can't seem to find anyone else credited as MM, tho.

I'm way behind now. Just haven't been able to get interested in watching. It's definitely a victim of the mentality that thinks that because the source material is a comic book then it needs to be written like an after school cartoon. I can't help but think this would fit in better as a 3pm weekday show. I never demanded much from Captain Planet or saved by the Bell, but we've come to expect more nuance from prime time shows. Regardless of its cartoon origins.

I'm way behind now. Just haven't been able to get interested in watching. It's definitely a victim of the mentality that thinks that because the source material is a comic book then it needs to be written like an after school cartoon. I can't help but think this would fit in better as a 3pm weekday show. I never demanded much from Captain Planet or saved by the Bell, but we've come to expect more nuance from prime time shows. Regardless of its cartoon origins.

I think supergirl is more focused on SJW ness and bad writing. that's it's main flaw and one reason why i stopped watching after the 2 part superman episode.

cartoons can be well written and super fun. this series just isn't.

it's as if berlanti spread itself too thin too fast across a few different shows, and now only has enough talent to make flash fun.

I really hate how this show has no direction or identity of it's own. As the father of a daughter I would like her to have her own Superhero shows to watch one day and look up too. I like the casting as Supergirl is cute but not over the top hot or powergirlish let's say. I also liked how on season one she was somewhat innocent and geeky. It just seems from what I have seen when I have tried to watch it more is again the compass is broken and they are not sure what direction to go.

different network , different audience, different soap opera take :/....

although i do love the casting of mellisa (despite her apparent feminist leanings IRL and the show apparently), i didn't think this show was all that great in season 1 either. only the possibility of improvement kept me hanging on....but i didn't really see it as much as i would have liked with the superman episodes, so i dropped it.

Okay, this may be a really stupid question, but is the Martian Manhunter done with CGI or is it a dude in make-up? If it is make up, is it the same actor? Cause he seems much taller? Can't seem to find anyone else credited as MM, tho.

Martian Man Hunter is usually done by the same actor, David Harewood. Most of the close up shots are just a CGI head replacement.
Meaning the actor is in the full costume and the CGI martian man hunter head is tracked over his real head and comped in.

Okay that last episode was just garbage, plain and simple. Supergirl is so stupid that everytime a crook captures someone she cares for she just goes ballistic? This show tries so hard to be so hip, up to date, sjw, it has just become laughable.

Is this show written by 13 year old girls, or is it just trying to gain an audience of nothing but 13 year old girls?

Okay that last episode was just garbage, plain and simple. Supergirl is so stupid that everytime a crook captures someone she cares for she just goes ballistic? This show tries so hard to be so hip, up to date, sjw, it has just become laughable.

Is this show written by 13 year old girls, or is it just trying to gain an audience of nothing but 13 year old girls?

uh oh. you mentioned the myth of social justice warriors. prepare to face the wrath of the same ten people ;o).

honestly, that's one reason why i gave up on this show season 1, apart from the bad writing and lame ness of the series itself.

as william shatner says on twitter, shippers ruin a show every other season or so ;o).

OH MY G-G-G- GOD!! Someone please tell me why I am still watching this pig swill of a show?! This crap is beyond stupid. So, they bring back Cat Grant for an episode--has there EVER been a more annoying character written throughout all of history? The world is being invaded and yet you still do nothing but degrade people with your snobby ass one liners? You've got the President right there with you, yet because you own a magazine you get to project your giant holographic horse head all over the city to give the populace the "Independence Day" speech?

Cyborg Martian Manhunter, or whatever the frosted flakes he's called, is the stupidest looking thing I have ever seen! It's like somebody just grabbed a handful of tinfoil and just slapped it on half his head. There were several shots where you could see his "cybernetic implants" barely hanging on his face!

Why is Mon-El even on this idotic show? He got superpowers yet he NEVER does anything except be Supergirl's moony eyed man bitch!

Black Ken doll James Olsen as Guardian, in his gray bowling ball helmet,...I mean....what?....Huh?...How is this guy a superhero? ....Do kids even like this dog vomit of a show?

I must be a sucker for punishment, but I'm going to get through next week's season finale and then I've either got to give it up or become a serious drug addict. One can't be worse than the other......

;o)

Do what i do. give it up first show next season. after superman checked out, so did i.

Season 1 was enough social justice bad writing nonsense.
Season 2 seems to be worse or more of the same crap. judging by twitter, this show seems only able to survive on 'romance relationships' and shippers.

damn shame. except for cat grant, and cool jimmy, i like most of the cast. ii feel if they where given better stuff to work with, the show might be decent.
but it's got too many skeletons in the closet for it to focus on being decent . oy.

and yet, it gets renewed. sigh.

Finally caught up and finished the season.
It came a long way after the terrible "Homecoming". The last two episodes were pretty darn good. And Cat is being written a LOT better. She now shows superb leadership qualities, and her speeches and pep talks were outstanding. I thought there was just enough time given at the end of the final act to character---not just have an action victory, roll credits. Maybe I'm getting soft, but there were moving moments.

Also glad Cat knows Kara is Supergirl. It was really stupid for her to have been tricked into dismissing that last season.

I mean, geez, they both have the same scar over her left eyebrow. ;)

Although....where was Jimmy during the final episode?

Who was the yet-another child sent from Krypton teased at the end? Krypto? ;)

Also, the super said it was 34 years prior---well, in Clark's physical age, maybe, but didn't the journey actually take much longer? Or maybe not in this iteration?

Okay, I know we don't talk about this show much, but yeah, I still record it and watch it when I want to waste an hour.

After the last episode however, I have to say that I will at least give a hearty two thumbs-(y)thumbsupup to the casting director. Those two actors they got to play the younger Alex and Kara--- Man, that was some spot-on casting if I've ever seen it! For the first couple of seconds I was actually wondering if this show had somehow gotten the budget to de-age those characters. That thought only lasted a few seconds though, of course it was obviously different actors, but I could totally believe those two girls were younger versions of Kara and Alex.

It was kind of a Riverdale type episode, nothing special about it at all other than the casting, but I am willing to give praise where praise is due.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back