what size is studio scale??

Sorry Suburban Machine Company, I guess I took this statement to literally-
"Studio Scale is largely about replicating the dimensions, construction, and parts (if kit bashed) of a filming miniature."

That would seem to not cover a SS resin kit. All good.

See funboy, this is where articulating the words Studio Scale and scale (1/24, 1/48, etc) can become tricky when trying to answer this broad based question, what is Studio Scale. Others have correctly said that it describes a replica of a filming miniature that is the same in size and detail. That includes a completely scratch built model using original sourced model kit parts, detail parts, or whatever was actually used to build the original filming miniature. Studio Scale also covers some resin model kits, like the Salzo X-Wing, that match the filming miniature as well, but in kit form for a builder to assemble.
When asking what scale a filming miniature is, as in is it 1/24, 1/48, etc, that is open for debate as their usually is no real world, full size counterpart to compare it to.

I do believe that there is enough evidence in a lot of filming miniatures, not all, that if a modeler wanted, they could figure out and assign a scale or size to a particular ship if they so desired. I again go back to the X-Wing only as an example. ILM didn't say lets make the filming miniature 1/24 scale, they simply used a part that people knew how big it would be in real life and it was used to replicate that real life counterpart, the pilot. Modelers then started referring to a SS X-Wing model as 1/24.

Confused yet?:cool

Here is a SS (In dimension) Y-wing i made with the original body shell,
and and a SS A-wing I have yet to finish. At the end is Mike's V3 you can see
how small it looks even with the nose cone off (x-wing) the A-wing was a pretty big
filming mini for the time it was seen on screen and episodes it showed up in.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/3dimensionalmanagement/105.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I new that the studio scale would huge compared to the studio scaled x-wing and y-wing, but seeing them side by side really puts things into perspective.

I also tried to come up with a visual aid. I'm building this cg model off references for the 60cm studio scale. I converted it to 4.8m and added an 6 ft pilot. Then based on that 4.8m length, I did a 1/24 scale conversion and converted it to length in cm to give me an approximate length for a miniature. I did the same thing with the proposed 7m "screen" appearance(middle). Then again with the "cannon" length of 9.6m (bottom). The

4_8m_zps8ec1470d.jpg

7m_zps8be49010.jpg

9_6m_zps565ea722.jpg

So this is where I'm at in trying to figure out a build length. I'm leaning towards the "screen" length since that would be the size Lucas wanted to convey to the audience.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Suburban Machine Company, I guess I took this statement to literally-
"Studio Scale is largely about replicating the dimensions, construction, and parts (if kit bashed) of a filming miniature."

See funboy, this is where articulating the words Studio Scale and scale (1/24, 1/48, etc) can become tricky when trying to answer this broad based question, what is Studio Scale. Others have correctly said that it describes a replica of a filming miniature that is the same in size and detail. That includes a completely scratch built model using original sourced model kit parts, detail parts, or whatever was actually used to build the original filming miniature. Studio Scale also covers some resin model kits, like the Salzo X-Wing, that match the filming miniature as well, but in kit form for a builder to assemble.
When asking what scale a filming miniature is, as in is it 1/24, 1/48, etc, that is open for debate as their usually is no real world, full size counterpart to compare it to.

I do believe that there is enough evidence in a lot of filming miniatures, not all, that if a modeler wanted, they could figure out and assign a scale or size to a particular ship if they so desired. I again go back to the X-Wing only as an example. ILM didn't say lets make the filming miniature 1/24 scale, they simply used a part that people knew how big it would be in real life and it was used to replicate that real life counterpart, the pilot. Modelers then started referring to a SS X-Wing model as 1/24.

Yes!! So the SS X-WING is not necessarily based off of 1/24 of the studio prop. So has anyone determined the actual scale of the SS X-WING against the studio prop(full size prop)?

I agree with Robiwon here. I see a difference between Studio Scale and scale (of a filming miniature). Although, I would include resin kits in Studio Scale.

This is another I made it's just a bit over 30cm.....I found it didn't matter
if the scale was smaller it's still a tough model to build. Scale means very little to
me SS 1/24.....whatever as long as I am a model builder first I got a shot at it!

Those are so great. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your a-wing threads? I just realized I followed your threads and used them as guides to build my cg version, particularly for the shape of the engines. Yes, I've been a lurker here for some time and my cg build is that old too. I've always wanted to compliment your work and I guess now I can since I finally registered. Awesome work man!

Those are so great. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your a-wing threads? I just realized I followed your threads and used them as guides to build my cg version, particularly for the shape of the engines. Yes, I've been a lurker here for some time and my cg build is that old too. I've always wanted to compliment your work and I guess now I can since I finally registered. Awesome work man!

Thanks .......
I am not sure look at my profile under threads started,
see if they are there maybe? I am not sure if the small
A-wing thread is here? Guy Cowen has a thread also
did a great build you might want to check that as well.

Studio Scale for 2001: A Space Odyssey would take you to 54" if you wanted the USS Discovery. Taking the term 'filming miniature' to new levels.

Yah! They coined the term "Big-atures" for the models used to shoot the Matrix sequels, cuz the models were so big.
There have been other big "miniatures" used for shooting movies too. The Protector models from Galaxy Quest were built at 3 feet and 8 feet long, the queen's chrome ship from Star Wars Ep 1 was 11 feet long, the Raven model from Elysium had an 11.5 foot wingspan, and the Black Pearl shooting "miniature" was almost 30 feet long! That'd make it really hard to put on your fireplace mantel.

Last edited:
So has anyone determined the actual scale of the SS X-WING against the studio prop(full size prop)?

Assuming the full size ship is 12.5 meters (41 feet) then a 23" SS X-Wing would be close to 1:24 scale but not exactly. For that scale, .5" = 1 foot.

If it was exactly 1:24 scale, it would be 20.5 inches long. If a 23" SS was made into a full size ship, that ship would be 46 feet long or
14 meters long.

-

Yah! They coined the term "Big-atures" for the models used to shoot the Matrix sequels, cuz the models were so big.
There have been other big "miniatures" used for shooting movies too. The Protector models from Galaxy Quest were built at 3 feet and 8 feet long, the queen's chrome ship from Star Wars Ep 1 was 11 feet long, the Raven model from Elysium had an 11.5 foot wingspan, and the Black Pearl shooting "miniature" was almost 30 feet long! That'd make it really hard to put on your fireplace mantel.

Just the Mantle from that list would be great for me as a starting point :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks .......
I am not sure look at my profile under threads started,
see if they are there maybe? I am not sure if the small
A-wing thread is here? Guy Cowen has a thread also
did a great build you might want to check that as well.

Yes he did. I followed Guy's A-Wing thread. It was an incredible build, my compliments to him as well. I've been patiently awaiting updates of your smaller a-wing and his Mcquarrie snowspeeder.

Assuming the full size ship is 12.5 meters (41 feet) then a 23" SS X-Wing would be close to 1:24 scale but not exactly. For that scale, .5" = 1 foot.

If it was exactly 1:24 scale, it would be 20.5 inches long. If a 23" SS was made into a full size ship, that ship would be 46 feet long or
14 meters long.

-

Thanks franz bolo. That is good information to know.

In 1976 the ILM crew built all the ANH ships in model form first. All the soundstage sets & props were copied off the ILM model source material. And for every ship to be involved in dogfighting scenes in ANH, they built the models to the same scale - 1/24th. That goes for the X-wings, the TIEs, the big 5ft Millennium Falcon, the Y-wings, etc. It didn't end up being crucially necessary in the long run but it was a precaution they took in case the issue ever came up.

So the original studio-scale X-wings were intended to be 1/24th scale.

But if the case of the Falcon is any indication, then this theoretical scale might have fallen by the wayside by the time the 1:1 props were being done. The original ILM Falcon model x 24 would be about 136 feet long. The interior sets were about 80% that big and the exterior shell prop was only about 60% that big.

Comparing full sized sets to their model brothers is usually folly. Even when they "try" to get it right s they are rarely close.

BUT - it looks like the full size set pieces for the new SW episode 7 were built at darn near full scale... WAY cool if you ask me.

But that being said - studio scale is: a model built at the same size and shape as the original model used to film the movie. Ideally with the same parts and detailing (paint weathering) etc. "whatever" that scale turns out to be.

And batguy is right for the most part ANH "tried" to stay around 1/24, however there is no "studio scale" for a movie... its based on each model :D. Although that has lead many people to erroneously label 1/24 kits of a subject as "studio scale". This particularly happens when the topic is a CGI only model... in which case there is no studio scale model... just a CGI accurately detailed model - if you're lucky ;)

Jedi Dade

So taking Jedi Dade and batguy's comments into account, the studio models are 1/24 of what the ILM intended the full scale mock ups to be. Following that reasoning, studio scale A-wing is 1/8 of the intended full size. ( I'm going with 1/8 scale because the consensus seems to be that the pilot used in the studio scale was at 1/8 scale.) So if I wanted to build a 1/24 scale a-wing, I should do my calculations based on the 60 cm studio model being 1/8 of an intended full size prop. Now the only problem I have with concluding a studio scale of 1/8 for the a-wing is that the pilot really doesn't fit in the cockpit without the arms being removed. Although I love the proportion fighter to pilot of the studio model, I'm wondering if 1/8 was the intended scale.

Well I'm a long way off from actually starting a 1/24 awing build, and I don't think my comments are adding to the discussion so I just want to thank you guys for the insight.

The 1/24 only applies to the ANH models. after that they just build what they needed for the shots... that's how we got a 32" falcon :)

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back