Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Yea she's one of my favs on the team. Now I'm wondering if they're gonna go the celestial madonna route with her to explain Adam Warlock. pretty good idea
Still holding out hope for Phyla-Vell too, but doubtful they'd add 2 more female members in the same movie

http://www.newsarama.com/27366-james-gunn-thanos-is-not-a-big-part-of-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2.html

Though Thanos's appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy connected the film to the rest of the Marvel
icon1.png
Cinematic Universe, according to director James Gunn, the Mad Titan won't play as prominent a role in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
"Thanos is not a big part of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2," said Gunn in a video
icon1.png
posted to his Facebook page. "We have a separate story we're telling...[Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2] is more about the Guardians universe, and although we're connected to the rest of the universe, and of course there's always a chance of the Guardians interacting with the rest of that universe, this movie isn't about leading up to that."
"This is about its own story. This is about the mythology of the Guardians themselves...We really wanted to just focus on the story of the Guardians, and Peter Quill and his father, and how that affects everything else with their lives."

As for who will appear in the sequel
icon1.png
, Gunn was cagey at best, saying "Who knows?" when asked about whether Nova would appear, and shrugging off the possibility of more Howard the Duck. He did say that "several new characters, but not too many" would be added to the cast.
Gunn also revealed that he's seen an early cut of Captain America: Civil War, calling it "Incredible, one of the best Marvel movies ever."
"I'm trying to think about what's cool to say or not. But I will say this one thing; Tom Holland is off the charts awesome, truly. Hand on my heart, he's amazing."

-------------------------------

Loving Thanos like any fanboy but glad to hear that GOTG won't get sucked up into the fray of all the other stuff. Keep it focused on them. So glad to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forget where I read it, but there have been hints that Thor might show up in vol. 2 or a later GotG movie. Or at least that the actor WANTS to interact with them. I kinda skimmed the article.

First Film to Shoot on RED's 8K Vista Vision Camera is 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10153095262726157

James Gunn:

"With the announcement that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be the first film to shoot on the RED Weapon 8K, I've received a lot of excitement from a lot of people. THANKS! However, I also get a lot of folks asking why we chose not to shoot on film, and it's assumed we aren't doing so because of the expense.

So, if you're interested, here's the deal.

When you're shooting a film at the level of Guardians of the Galaxy, the cost of film vs. digital is negligible - for me it's an aesthetic and creative choice.

Firstly, I believe when shooting on a format like the Red Weapon 8K or the Alexa 65, the amount of data is so massive - certainly more so than on a strip of film - that it gives you more freedom in production and post production to create exactly the film you want to create than actual film does. As anyone who has ever worked with me knows, I am a control freak. Such high resolution gives me the ability to control ever single bit of data (to do so would take a long time, but at least the knowledge comforts me). Many filmmakers look to essentially replicate the look of film, but I don't share that interest. I believe that innovations in camera and shooting technologies as well as visual and practical effects gives us the ability to create a new aesthetic of film, one different from what the past has offered but equally beautiful - perhaps even more so. I respect many of the filmmakers who continue to shoot on film - and some of the most gorgeous movies of 2015 have been in that format. But I think sometimes that the love of actual film is based in nostalgia more than it is in objective beauty. Many filmmakers remember the films of their youth and want to replicate that magic. For me, I'm interested in being one of the many who help to create a new kind of magic that will usher the cinematic experience into the future. What will the children of today think of fondly with nostalgia?

And, yes, most filmmakers who have shot digital have underutilized the format. But with these new cameras their advantages are easier to see for everyone.

And there are three other reasons I chose this format:

1) It is easier to seamlessly incorporate massive amounts of visual, digital effects - including a digital tree and raccoon - into a digital base.
2) One of the ways I capture my actor's performances is by doing massively long takes, over and over - sometimes up to an hour - much longer than your typical 11-minute reel of film. I find this a better way to capture the energy and rawness in a performance (and we get better outtakes of me yelling at Michael Rooker off-screen).
3) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be utilizing another new technologies I'm very excited about but can't quite go into yet. But, for this technology, you need a camera the small size of the RED Weapon - a film camera is too big, as is the Alexa 65 (which is also an amazing camera).

Have a wonderful day."

I've heard people whine about film vs digital and frankly, i'm with Gunn....SOMEONE has to push new tech and envelopes. Considering film resolution, too, shooting at 8K gives you lots of wiggle room with what you've shot as well.

The other advantage of shooting digital in this day and age of effects driven movies is that it saves you the time and money of scanning the film into a digital format for the effects houses to use. I'm sure that modern effects software can read modern digital film formats without any conversion needed, they might down res the footage to ease the workload a bit but they would be able to just render out onto the full res footage with no problems.

The other advantage of shooting digital in this day and age of effects driven movies is that it saves you the time and money of scanning the film into a digital format for the effects houses to use. I'm sure that modern effects software can read modern digital film formats without any conversion needed, they might down res the footage to ease the workload a bit but they would be able to just render out onto the full res footage with no problems.

Not to mention that as soon as film is scanned the grain is removed, along with any lens warp and the whole plate is cleaned up and colour is neutralised. Then the VFX are applied before artificially adding the grain and lens warp back on along with a dose of colour grading. Riceball is right, for a VFX heavy film like Guardians of the Galaxy (trust me, I was involved in the first film) shooting on film would be a waste.

I'm in love with GOTG, the guy clearly knows what the hell he is doing as much as Nolan does with his love for film with Interstellar.
In the end, did I feel like I was there? was the story told? Yep for both.

I'm so glad they're keeping GOTG independant, it's the only Marvel property i've enjoyed since the first Iron Man came out and the last thing it needs is to be saturated with more characters and their baggage. If they cast Kurt Russell I will be overjoyed.

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/phot...48103536156/10153101976621157/?type=1&theater

James Gunn:

" I usually find out about people dying on Twitter these days, as it's one of the first places I check on my phone when I wake up in the morning. It's only been about fifteen minutes or so since I learned of David Bowie's passing there, and I'm reeling. And horribly sad.

69 years old. *********. I know we're supposed to be positive in situations like this, but that's just seems too young to me. ****ing cancer.

Just a very short while ago Kevin Feige and I were talking about a cameo role in Guardians Vol. 2, and he brought up Bowie's name. I told him nothing in the world would make me happier, but I heard from common friends he wasn't doing well. We heard back that he was okay and it could potentially happen. Who knows what that was about? But, for whatever reason, it made my Twitter revelation more of a surprise.

I just "liked" some of the photos on his Facebook fan page last night.

Bowie was an idol of mine, huge and omnipresent. Few artists in any field have had as an indelible impression upon me as he has. To my mind, Ziggy Stardust is perhaps the greatest rock and roll album of all time. We featured "Moonage Daydream" in Guardians, but I always thought the album's character was felt far beyond that, in the aesthetics, in the integral and seemingly-natural linking in popular culture of '70's rock and space opera. I've been trying to work another song from Ziggy into the sequel, which would make Bowie the only artist to have a song on both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. I thought this was fair and appropriate. Although I cut the scene it was used in from the script, we have the rights. Who knows. Maybe I can figure a way out.

It's also fair that I come clean that the use of "Life on Mars" in Breaking the Waves was one of the linchpins for me and the use of music in Guardians: much of what I did was imitating that perfect blend of oddness and familiarity, of irony and aptness.

My pop cultural connection to Bowie goes deeper as it was the music that was playing the night I hit bottom on alcohol and drugs as a very young person. I got sober that night, and those songs - "TVC15", "Star", "Suffragette City" - are now deeply embedded in my psyche. They all have a frightening, almost-religious context in my personal history. I'll have to save those stories for another time.

I wish I could be more eloquent, but I'm gutted.

Thank you, David, for all you've given to my life, my relationships, and my career. Thank you most for helping me to make it through high school. Your music let me believe there was something magic out there, I only needed to hold on a few more years to experience it. I'm glad I did.

And, especially, love to Duncan and the rest of the family. This is so difficult for all of us who loved the icon. I know it is infinitely more so for those who loved the human being. "

12540624_10153101976621157_6751034262551278370_n.jpg

Loved seeing this earlier. I love living in a world where I can see in real time when a script is being handed out for what will most likely be one of my favourite movies! Great stuff

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/693088181198135297

James Gunn confirmed that both tracks "Ain’t No Mountain" and "I Want You Back" will be included in the Vol. 2 soundtrack.

I also tweeted this to him that, I am glad those tracks are being included. The OCD in me was worried it will be left out so as to not repeat the songs.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/693092049034309632

One fan asked him about the score.

GeekSyndicate: @ JamesGunn I loved the soundtrack esp 'Black Tears'. Will Tyler Bates be scoring GOTG Vol 2 ?

JamesGunn: Yes @ tyler_bates is scoring Vol 2 and we already have the first cues and they are AWESOME.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back