Dragoncon 2015

Sorry to hear for you both....I hope your able to find a room some where else...I got a room at the Marriott, again...the trick is to get smaller rooms if your able, they have less rooms for big groups so those sell out the fastest...also get Google chrome, it auto fills your info...I had my room in about 20 sec...had all my dates and cc info ready and it auto fills all your info...I hope that you all are still able to make it to the con...

Sooo...It's been quit quite on the thread....So I'm going to get some talking going...

So who has started working on there Cosplays for next year?....

Question for you guys in the know...

Do rooms ever come up for sale/transfer, or do the hotels get cancelations that they offer up for new registrations?

Question for you guys in the know...

Do rooms ever come up for sale/transfer, or do the hotels get cancellations that they offer up for new registrations?

Yes, the become available as peoples cards are declined...also more closer to dragon people aren't able to make it, seeing the fact that you book a room almost a year in advance you don't know what life has to offer, some people have different things, drama, death, life, children, job, money, that play key factors in being ableto attend Dragoncon....so they cancel or find people to transfer there room to....

Best advise is check the forums....there's some on fb as such as these: and there's others on other sites...

https://www.facebook.com/DragonConHotelConnection

https://www.facebook.com/groups/360351017432661/

Sooo...It's been quit quite on the thread....So I'm going to get some talking going...

So who has started working on there Cosplays for next year?....

The Star-Lord I've started for Halloween is going to undergo some improvement between now and then, so unless something else catches my fancy in the next 10 months or so I'll take it.

I'm also thinking about also doing either Dr. Whooves and Derpy with my daughter or maybe something from an anime (maybe Sebastian and Ciel from Black Butler), since we'll be going to Anime Weekend Atlanta a few weeks later too.

MatrixSpoon I'M TYPING THIS IN ALL CAPS AS IF I'M YELLING SINCE IT'S BEEN SO QUIET. LOL

Not really, all caps would be really awful for a full post.

I've made progress on my new star wars mashup. But I've paused work on it for the next week because KJC and I are going as Shaun and Ed from Shaun of The Dead for Walker Stalker Con.

Day 1: We will be walking around with our cricket bat and shovel.
Day 2: I'll be in zombie makup and will be wearing a chain that KJC can lead me around with, and I'll be holding my playstation controller.

Will be lots of fun. First time going to Walker Stalker Con so it will be fun to check out another con.

After Walker Stalker Con, back to my new Star Wars costumes for D'Con '15

I haven't settled on anything for halloween. But I ordered a Portal Gun replica a week ago so I might go as Ratman from Portal 2, it's a simple and confortable cosplay. But haven't decided yet....and I spelled "confortable" on purpose Definition: A cosplay that is comfortable for cons. Ha.

MatrixSpoon I'M TYPING THIS IN ALL CAPS AS IF I'M YELLING SINCE IT'S BEEN SO QUIET. LOL

Not really, all caps would be really awful for a full post.

I've made progress on my new star wars mashup. But I've paused work on it for the next week because KJC and I are going as Shaun and Ed from Shaun of The Dead for Walker Stalker Con.

Day 1: We will be walking around with our cricket bat and shovel.
Day 2: I'll be in zombie makup and will be wearing a chain that KJC can lead me around with, and I'll be holding my playstation controller.

Will be lots of fun. First time going to Walker Stalker Con so it will be fun to check out another con.

After Walker Stalker Con, back to my new Star Wars costumes for D'Con '15

I haven't settled on anything for halloween. But I ordered a Portal Gun replica a week ago so I might go as Ratman from Portal 2, it's a simple and confortable cosplay. But haven't decided yet....and I spelled "confortable" on purpose Definition: A cosplay that is comfortable for cons. Ha.

Sweetness...Yeah I got most of my supplies now, so I'm probably going to start molding and sculpting and working on some of the stuff this coming week or so...

I knew I wouldn't be the only one starting the work for this year. =D

Already got fabric samples going, with some selections made. Dived into the EL wire thing this past week, putting together what would (ostensibly) be for shoulders and arms. For grins and giggles, I'll be messing around with some addressable LEDs and Arduino boards in the next few weeks. They're not necessary, but would be nice for some of the little bits I've seen from the high-res images. I remember just enough electronics to be dangerous!

Ordered a male dress form, too... trying to avoid sticking my DH with pins while I figure out the pattern and make adjustments. =D

I've begun a few potential costumes to bring;

As I mentioned previously, I'll be crossplaying Desolation Jones, which is a relatively simple costume I hope to first have ready for Halloween and refine between then and Dragoncon.

I also recently started 3D modelling armour pieces for another Witch Doctor armour set (here we go again...), but hopefully actually modelling it this time will save me a ton of work and heartache down the line.

I knew I wouldn't be the only one starting the work for this year. =D

Already got fabric samples going, with some selections made. Dived into the EL wire thing this past week, putting together what would (ostensibly) be for shoulders and arms. For grins and giggles, I'll be messing around with some addressable LEDs and Arduino boards in the next few weeks. They're not necessary, but would be nice for some of the little bits I've seen from the high-res images. I remember just enough electronics to be dangerous!

Ordered a male dress form, too... trying to avoid sticking my DH with pins while I figure out the pattern and make adjustments. =D

Oooh Arduino. I need to get my hands dirty with Arduino. Any tips, blogs, good tutorials? I need to put Leds into a helmet for one of my costumes. I found some led strip lights that I think "might" work and I can whip up a simple Android App to connect to a wireless controller to control LED color, and how they display (strobe, Blink, slow, fast etc) but I've never done anything with Arduino. I got a book on Arduino but each chapter is a specific project but not really helpful for what I'm trying to do. Any tips are appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I've begun a few potential costumes to bring;

As I mentioned previously, I'll be crossplaying Desolation Jones, which is a relatively simple costume I hope to first have ready for Halloween and refine between then and Dragoncon.

I also recently started 3D modelling armour pieces for another Witch Doctor armour set (here we go again...), but hopefully actually modelling it this time will save me a ton of work and heartache down the line.

How are the goggles coming along for Desolation Jones?

Oooh Arduino. I need to get my hands dirty with Arduino. Any tips, blogs, good tutorials? I need to put Leds into a helmet for one of my costumes. I found some led strip lights that I think "might" work and I can whip up a simple Android App to connect to a wireless controller to control LED color, and how they display (strobe, Blink, slow, fast etc) but I've never done anything with Arduino. I got a book on Arduino but each chapter is a specific project but not really helpful for what I'm trying to do. Any tips are appreciated.

Right now, I'm in the same boat as far as Arduino programming goes. I did some very basic programming in C (which is kinda the back of Arduino, as I understand), but that was back when PCs were young; it's all very rusty and I might as well be starting from scratch. I've picked up the Make book, Getting Started with Arduino. I'm reading it more to try and understand the basics -- pick up command lines and syntax, etc. I've also been taking some cues from the ladies over at Adafruit, as one of the boards I ordered was their Gemma -- an Arduino-compatible controller that's about the size of a quarter. It's the perfect size for what I need, so I've been sifting through their projects to see if there is a sketch I can edit/revise to fit the project. So far, they have one involving some "LED sequins" that looks promising. I just have to be home long enough to mess with it. Thankfully, that should be soon. =D

Right now, I'm in the same boat as far as Arduino programming goes.

I've done a little with C but it's Objective C used for the iOS SDK. I'm still learning a lot, and have a iOS developer onboard to help for that project. I also picked up the Arduino Project Handbook at the Atlanta Maker Fair last week. Been reading through that. Lots of great info. I still need to map out my project. The LED strip lights are an option but I'd rather go the Arduino route.

Time for more reading.

I will teach you the ways, young padawan...

Last edited:
Right now, I'm in the same boat as far as Arduino programming goes. I did some very basic programming in C (which is kinda the back of Arduino, as I understand), but that was back when PCs were young; it's all very rusty and I might as well be starting from scratch. I've picked up the Make book, Getting Started with Arduino. I'm reading it more to try and understand the basics -- pick up command lines and syntax, etc. I've also been taking some cues from the ladies over at Adafruit, as one of the boards I ordered was their Gemma -- an Arduino-compatible controller that's about the size of a quarter. It's the perfect size for what I need, so I've been sifting through their projects to see if there is a sketch I can edit/revise to fit the project. So far, they have one involving some "LED sequins" that looks promising. I just have to be home long enough to mess with it. Thankfully, that should be soon. =D

What are you needing, like effect and such, a may be able to help...do you need help with the code or the wiring or both?...

Last edited:
What are you needing, like effect and such, a may be able to help...do you need help with the code or the wiring or both?...

I'm just new to it. When I saw Harrison's Daft Punk helmet I was like "I want LEDs like that!" but I'm realizing that I can't really go in that direction for this particular helmet. A LED matrix like that won't fit. And I need to see LOL.

I found a LED Strip kit that comes with a remote control and I can wire it to a battery pack and BAM, LEDs in the helmet. I'm still going to play around with Arduino too, but as of now, after today's research I'm going to go with the LED strip lights.

I'll let you know if I have any Arduino questions once I get more into it.

Heading to the fabric store to get some fabric for my Vader mashup and some green screen material. I will have a green screen in my living room. Mostly because I can, but will be good for photos too. LOL

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back