Dragoncon 2015

Bring on your questions, if I don't know the answer then I'll reference the club files, (but you'll have to try really hard to stump me) :)

I appreciate that! And I'll try my hardest to stump you...:D

I dove into the wiki, and was looking at the part Runs, and it blew my mind. Not that I thought building R2 would be easy, but seriously mind blown! I think I'll start with the dome and go from there. And I've settled on the RC version. I'll find you on Astromech.net so I don't clutter this thread with R2 build stuff. What's your username on that forum?

I dove into the wiki, and was looking at the part Runs, and it blew my mind. What's your username on that forum?

Yeah, I trolled around doing research for over a year before I purchased my first part... all I can say is READ, READ, READ, and then do some more reading about the ten various ways to tackle your R2 build. That's how I avoided making the most common mistake, which is buying incompatible parts because of not knowing where your project's headed. The dome is an excellent place to start; if the construction takes a decade then at least you have a cool droid head to look at. BTW: there's an aluminum dome run going on right this second; don't know when the next one will be, but it's a great part to have!

My Astromech Screen Name: rootman055 :)
Check out my current part runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This year was my first Dragon Con.. and let me just say, I was stunned by how amazing it was! Already have my membership thing for the whole weekend next year ordered and got a room at the Hilton for the weekend.
That being said, here's the costumes I know I'll be wearing....
* the group I'm going with are wanting to all be Spider Man characters, so I've already started creating a screen accurate ASM2 suit... I ordered KinoKaoru's suit print with the red and blue fabric, and so hopefully when it get's here I'll be able to work on it and get it 100% screen accurate
* I'm part of the 501st legion and so is one of the people who I'm going with, so I'll be Vader sometime during the evening of probably Friday (maybe Saturday around 5) and he'll be my Royal Guard... probably have some stormtroopers join us too.
Okay, now here's what I'm going to try my hardest to do....
* I want to be a 7 foot tall Bioshock 2 Subject Delta Big daddy... I'm not yet ready to release how, but I have a plan, so after I finish my ASM2 screen accurate Spidey suit, I'll start doing some test for it...

Put me down for the meet-up. Already have my tickets and I am already working on my costume.

You have been added to the list, can't wait to meet you...

FYI we would like to get a conformation from you closer to the date to be sure your coming. That way we don't have extra badges of people that never showed up...

MatrixSpoon based on your feedback here is v2 of the badge that we discussed.

I made 3 sizes this time. You had mentioned that going with the same size as the DragonCon day pass or weekend pass is an option you like.

So The sizes are as follows:

• 3.5 x 5.5
  • 2.875 x 4.625
  • 2.5 x 4.25

The large badge on the left is the same size as the 4 day DragonCon pass, the one in the middle is the size of the day or weekend pass and on the right is the smallest size. my favorite is the one in the middle.

RPF 2015 Meetup Badge 3 size options.jpg

RPF 2015 Meetup Badge 3 size options.jpg

MatrixSpoon based on your feedback here is v2 of the badge that we discussed.

I made 3 sizes this time. You had mentioned that going with the same size as the DragonCon day pass or weekend pass is an option you like.

So The sizes are as follows:

• 3.5 x 5.5
  • 2.875 x 4.625
  • 2.5 x 4.25

The large badge on the left is the same size as the 4 day DragonCon pass, the one in the middle is the size of the day or weekend pass and on the right is the smallest size. my favorite is the one in the middle.

View attachment 380337

SO loving the new design...

I will definitely be at DragonCon next year as I live in Atlanta and don't bother with a hotel room. I still consider myself new to the forum. I haven't met anyone unless they are also SCF members. Speaking of that, the RPF meetup was at the same time as the SCF meetup, so I didn't get to go. If a conflict happens again next year, I will try to make an appearance at each. As for costumes for 2015, I need to finish the Green Goblin version that was supposed to be for this year. I did end up wearing the mask and a super simplified version of the costume on Sunday. If you were hanging around the Marriott on Sunday night you may have spotted me in this:
View attachment 378308

I didn't have any of the armor pieces I worked on and the mask was not detailed; it was just pigmented green with no shading or skin tone.
Brand new costumes I am considering are Doomsday for the DC shoot. I also kind of want to try to get a group to do TMNT movie costumes from the original 1990 live action movie (25th anniversary). I will probably make a post to gauge any interest in this.

Since you also live in Atlanta I just wanted to share that I started a Atlanta RPF Members Group on meetup.com
http://www.meetup.com/Atlanta-RPF-Members-Group/

Pass this on to any other RPF members that you know in Atlanta.

I'm interested in bring my R2 astromech and maybe trooping in my protocol armor next year; but I'd need a couple handlers to help me :)

I'm down to be someone's handler if needed. So far I'm bringing back the X-Wing Pilot Football Player mashup costume, this year there will be a group of us. Working on another star wars themed mashup based on Vader. Might have a set of stormtrooper armor to wear this year and I have a couple other costume ideas, only if they get done.

In between walking the floor I can be available to be a handler if someone needs my help.

I imagine the visibility in that protocol armor is pretty limited.

I imagine the visibility in that protocol armor is pretty limited.

You got that right! When test fitting the armor all together, I felt like I was inside a medieval torture chamber; there are about thirty spots wear it bites into flesh, and the helmet screws onto your head so there's no way to remove it yourself. Once in, I can't move my head far enough down to see any children or objects directly adjacent to me, so the probability that I'd hurt someone or myself is very high w/o a couple handlers. Thanks a lot for extending the offer to help; here's the current progress of this protocol project:
C3POa•1.jpgC3POa•2.jpgC3POa•3.jpg

You got that right! When test fitting the armor all together, I felt like I was inside a medieval torture chamber; there are about thirty spots wear it bites into flesh, and the helmet screws onto your head so there's no way to remove it yourself. Once in, I can't move my head far enough down to see any children or objects directly adjacent to me, so the probability that I'd hurt someone or myself is very high w/o a couple handlers. Thanks a lot for extending the offer to help; here's the current progress of this protocol project:
View attachment 382459View attachment 382460View attachment 382461

You do beautiful work.

I'll be more organized at DragonCon next year. I'll have a plan regarding what costume, where I'll be walking the floor and for how long. So I'll deff be available to be a handler if anyone needs my help.

That R2 unit is looking good!!!

I'll be posting some pics of my current costume soon.

Ya know Anthony Daniels said he had a freak out moment while filming Jedi. Where all of a sudden it hit him that he needed to get out of the costume. I'll keep the screw driver on the ready. :D

View attachment 382459View attachment 382460View attachment 382461

Your work is amazing, wasn't sure earlier you said count you in, did you want to be added to the name list for the RPF Meet at Dragoncon 2015?...if so I'll add your name...

Also, you may be interested...We are trying to make a Dragoncon Star Wars Group cosplay meet up....here's the link if your interested...thanks...
http://www.therpf.com/f68/dragoncon-2015-star-wars-group-cosplay-224624/

Holy crap the Marriott sold out in less than 20 min. I called at exactly 9am and was stuck in the hold line. Missed my room this year. SUCKS!!!!
The marriott website would let you book for dragon con so it was call in only.

The 4 day minimum killed the Marriott for us. There was a web link posted on the DragonCon site, and it seemed to be working, but didn't do any good since we can't stay four nights and I wasn't going to risk $250 on someone at the hotel being nice and letting us drop a night later. We'll be at the Homewood Suites in Midtown unless something happens to become available at one of the host hotels.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back