Urethane V2 CW Arrow and Arsenal masks, now WITH Straps! :)

TigerStoneFX

Hey everyone!

After posting my original Arrow mask sculpt not long after the promo images were released, LOADS of people kept asking for a strapped version once we knew there was one. It wasn't until recently that we had time to revisit it and make more show accurate mask and while we were at it, we did the Arsenal too as its one of my personal favorite mask designs out there (I like simplicity lol)

The masks are urethane rubber with ribbon/velcro closures, I sculpted the straps long enough that you shouldn't see ribbon unless you have the hood down.

Both masks were sculpted in Zbrush (the arsenal was my first attempt at Zbrush) then we printed/finished them. The Arrow took some experimenting as we needed to keep the texture intact so it was printed upright with supports at 80 microns. Came out beautifully, very proud of our little printer considering we've only printed as high as 100 microns before now.

The moulding was new for me but actually worked really well and the cores worked first time aside from a few small adjustments. These masks are injected so each one comes out exactly the same every time with minimal flashing and no sanding required.

Hope you like them both :)

CB8CEE1A-7EAE-4EEB-8CF7-F415C0D99867_zpsye90za2w.jpg

76692E1F-17F2-44C7-B6FF-6A8E1CF1E23D_zpshpoaovem.jpg

AC2622DA-2DF3-4996-B1BF-A42B912BDA40_zps0lbsqhcq.jpg

3DA4CC90-43E6-43C8-B9EB-5CFE1C1FEE16_zpsllbqjh1f.jpg

ABA6C13F-F1AA-4975-9625-7FBE4902D1E2_zpsolimrkdm.jpg

3D90AA40-5FC8-4004-BF8A-FB935E059DD6_zps46mh4azs.jpg

2EFFE8B0-FDD1-48D8-843C-2D44D6D31699_zpsgugwd5j6.jpg

BD93D385-5453-44D1-A552-685BAD87483C_zpsuzngiu86.jpg

8012713F-1303-4AD1-BAC1-8FAF723B02A6_zpskl32mzm4.jpg

A82BAF0F-DD51-4C87-B8D6-EA1EDEF94F76_zps2rra2954.jpg

A4A00208-E053-479E-A0F1-3408589B628B_zps94tyu385.jpg

86F168D5-F99C-4B6C-8DBE-8BAE45FB2B25_zpsfzrwmdbd.jpg

12083739-E282-4F8C-B1A8-629E40B69955_zpsh6b345zg.jpg

CLay was placed in the mould to the thickness I wanted each mask to be, then fiberglassed over to create the core.
6906A039-51B1-45D5-9830-54D2E7A1528F_zpskdgzjuge.jpg

Core after demoulding
04BC9887-5A9A-4576-AFB9-187864150936_zpsoznekhvo.jpg

Final castings in rubber!

DEA65292-9410-4358-A963-E7B136A889DD_zpsgocp93gi.jpg

Aaaaand I couldn't resist putting our Black Canary mask in the mix and taking a photo of the "Arrow mask Trinity"!

B6629FF8-0288-4FCD-891B-6D0B663070EA_zpsn1puvcsx.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Especially considering it was your first time with zbrush. Also impressed at how well your printer managed the texture. Can you describe your moulding and casting process a bit? It looks like a cavity mold to me but not quite sure why I'm looking at.

Thanks, it was fun to learn zbrush even though it was frustrating in the beginning.

The moulding is a pretty straight forward matrix mould/case mould but mounting it in clay was a first for me. With previous 3D prints like the Deathstroke or Black Mask helmets, they were big enough to glue stiff card around the edges to give them a base but these were so small it would have been really hard. So I made a mound of clay and stuck the masks in it (did the same with the new nightwing I just finished in a different thread). Cleaned up the edges where the mask met the clay, sealed and released it then carried on with the standard matrix method as shown in the pics. The core was done by laying the clay in the mould to the thickness I wanted the masks and then I fiberglassed over it.

Does that help? Happy to answer any questions :)

This is very cool. I am interested in learning how to matrix mold, and especially giving the back of a mask/faceplate details as well. That seems like a really crazy challenge, have you ever done that kind of thing?

That's not something I've done yet to be honest as I've not needed to. With 3D printing, you can just model that stuff into the print, do your matrix mould as usual but rather than pull the fiberglass/silicone off, you'd dig all the clay off that the master is sat on but leave the master embedded in the silicone. Then you'd build clay over the back and repeat everything. Only a couple of extra steps but do able for sure. And you'd need your injection point of course.
The Iron Man face plates were 2 piece silicone moulds, some of the pred bio helmets had stuff on the inside too so I'm guessing they were 2 piece silicone moulds as well.

I just poured 2 more matrix moulds up, love them and doing a core for face masks just makes them that bit better.

Nat,

Tell me. I love these matrix molds and have been dying to attempt one on my next project. I understand nearly the entire process except for one part... after you've filled your silicone mold with clay to the desired thickness you'd want your final cast pieces, you then cover that side with fiberglass, creating the "core" as it were.

Then you'd presumedly pop the core into the mold, but... you never posted or wrote about the injection point for the rubber itself? Where/how do you pour your urethane rubber into the mold?

Hope this isn't too much of a secret sauce question, if it is, I understand if you wanna keep that a secret.

Thanks,
Jordan

No secret at all Jordan. I basically figure out the the thickest point in the center of the piece and drill the hole through the core. That's it really. Does that help? I just use a medical syringe to inject the urethane.

So I totally took an old mold last night of mine, and filled the cavity with clay, and glassed over it to create my plug. Tell me, do you have a good place you order syringes from? I look online and I see all sorts of sizes, but since I've never done injection style casts, I'm a bit weary of what to buy...

So I totally took an old mold last night of mine, and filled the cavity with clay, and glassed over it to create my plug. Tell me, do you have a good place you order syringes from? I look online and I see all sorts of sizes, but since I've never done injection style casts, I'm a bit weary of what to buy...

I'm in the UK so I'm not much help on that one ;) We used to use a supplier from amazon but we bought all their stock over halloween lol So we need somewhere new as well.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back