Rocketeer stop-motion puppet project

scotthothpatrol

Here is one I don't think I have seen done before that I decided to do, that is a recreation of the ILM puppet made for the Rocketeer. In doing research for this the only helpful info I found was in Cinifex #48 that gives a bit of info about the making of the puppet. Most importantly that it is 18 inches tall. Also on Youtube I found a behind the scenes clip that described how the cloths were made. I do have a couple of pictures of the puppet and one with the armature that was real nice. But if any one out there has any pictures of the puppet or any production picts of the puppet being made if you could post them that would be great. I already got started by making the armature and getting the clay on.

Attachments

• armarure.jpg
    armarure.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 431
  • armarure2.jpg
    armarure2.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 354
  • clay build.jpg
    clay build.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 440
  • rocketeer puppet and armature.jpg
    rocketeer puppet and armature.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 439
Wow, i remember watching the rocketeer, but i dont remember them using a puppet. Goes to show how well done the effect was.
Where'd you order the armature? It looks similar to the armacreature set

If I remember correctly the puppet was used for flying scenes, specifically the ones where he had to save his friend who was flying the plane. The plane had to be a model.

The Sideshow premium format figure is the same scale as the stop motion puppet. I think that would be great reference. Great work so far!

Interesting project scotthothpatrol.

Here's a pic of the puppet and the armature as they stand today in the ILM building.

DSC01805.JPG

Best of luck

MARK

I think that the figure in the ILM pic is a resin casting. I examined the two original puppets back in 1993 and the foam rubber was already starting to break down. There are resin castings of the puppet floating around out there. I couple of ILM folks have copies. I'd love to get ahold of one. BEAUTIFUL work on your project by the way! Top notch!

I have a resin cast from the original Tom St Amand sculpture used in the production. If you like i can post photos for reference. It was given to me by a colleage back in the mid 90's.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back