What's the best mold release spray?

RelicMaker

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been using Smooth-on's Universal Mold Release.
I was just wondering if anyone here has tried the Ease-Release or any other brand and think it's better than Smooth-on's Universal Mold Release?

eversince i started using talcum powder as a release, i haven't touched a release spray again. It works great and the capilary function of the talcum 'draws' the resin in those tiny spaces. Try it, you won't be dissapointed.

Cheers

Marc

I've been using Talcum Powder (Baby powder) for the first 20-30 pulls or maybe longer, using the silicons natural oils and the talcum for the release.

When it starts to "hang" more, I have in the past used Locktite's FreKote (SP, I'll have to look at a can), and just tried for the first time this last week the poly ease. I must say, so far I'm a BIG fan, the poly ease is much drier going on and seems to release better with less apparent texture than the Frekote. It IS a bit pricey, at around $10 a can though, but so far I'm impressed.

Whatever you do, if you go with talc, fine, stick with it until you have to go to a release spray, then use ONLY that release for the life of the mold, don't switch to another or try and go back to the talc, you'll probably be VERY sorry you did, as your mold will more than likely be KAPUT.

Ryan

Talcum Powder? Loving that idea.

I've used WD-40 with great effect. I don't know if you get WD-40 in other countries it's just a propellant based light oil used on bike chains and for freeing up rusty joints/squeeks. Nice smell

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fettster @ Mar 16 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]1441253[/snapback]</div>
where can i get a can of that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mfxreplicas @ Mar 15 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]1440881[/snapback]
EPOXY PARFILM - I use it for almost everything.
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

It's made in the US by a company called PRICE-DRISCOLL CORPORATION - 17 INDUSTRIAL DRIVE - WATERFORD - CT 06385 - 1(800) 442 3575

Google them for their website.

In the UK and Europe they are distributed through MOULDLIFE (www.mouldlife.co.uk)

I know in the UK companies such as Games Workshop who do all the D&D miniatures cast urethane resins from condensation cure moulds using the epoxy parfilm as the release. It's such a good release that you only need to spray after every two or three pulls and it also extends the life of the moulds.

Neill G

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back