Tusken Raider "Rust" ?? Lets talk about this weathering tactic ...

Derekm88

So it always bothered me to use "rust" as a weathering tactic for all my Tusken raider replica props. We all know what the moisture level is on this native planet. So what do you guys think about the rust factor being used as a weathering option ? Believe me I will be the first person to say how great it looks to use a little rust color on the cycler rifle or any other steel replicas but I just can't bring myself to use it in any of my props, so feel free to let me know what you think. Derek

IMHO...it looks silly! I see a lot of people weathering their "ANH" tusken masks with the rust color on the aluminum parts. If you look at ANY of the ANH screen used masks there's no rust on any metal parts at all. Further more the metal parts shine a little....so I'm not sure how the whole "rust" thing started happening. If you look at reference photos and screen shots from the movies, the weathering on every costume looks more "worn in" and "naturally used"...not rusty. But I think most people making Tusken costumes now don't care about what the costumes originally looked like from the movies...seems like people just follow what a few have done and it's turning into something else now. The most weathered Tusken masks are the ones used in ep.1 and even those have more of a dark brown soot on the metal parts and not a red rust color. Also good point about the dry, desert planet...things would have a hard time rusting for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411462584.334670.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see any rust on these screen used masks....just some random glue smudges. [emoji6]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411462481.460262.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411462496.879010.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411462511.446824.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411462863.327084.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agree with the guy above me... If you want your tusken to look like the ones in the movies, you shouldn't put rust on it.

so you guys dont think stuff gets rusty in the desert? google some images, i think you will see a ton of rusty junk in the desert. As for the tusken raider, i have no idea as im not an expert, but it is absolutely more than feasible to have rust and oxidation occur in desert environments.

Even if you are talking idealized, I am usually opposed to rust weathering on prop replicas. A lot of people do it for the "used" look. But I think people need to consider how the item and the member utilizing the item would treat it. Unless the item is being neglected, I don't think there is a reason to have rust. Even sand people would take care of the tools of their survival and how they want others to view them.

Are you sure they are not going for 'dirty, smudgy, grime' instead of rust?

Rust has a very distinctive look and the over-weathered mask posted above just looks dirty to my eye, not rusty.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back