The Ivory Tower Interactive Sculpture. LED lighting w/ Re-recordable (((Sound)))

Propigy

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
cover photo.jpeg

I thought this would be a fun concept for an interactive sculpture.

I will kick this off with my YouTube Video to give you an idea of the thread. Not a complicated build. Took 2 weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6J9k9xC714&hd=1[/VIDEO]

Last edited:
So I have been working on another project. The Technodrome from the TMNT Original Animated Series. I decided I wanted to build it out of actual metal. halfway thru the build the fumes really started to get to me. I need to track down a mask for welders who come in contact with fumes. I am going to wait until Winter to complete the project so i can finish it outside. Thank you Arizona.

This was because I wanted to do something fun while I recovered. Much better now! FYI
So here are some of the supplies
IMG_1119.jpg

3.5lbs of Sculpey clay. (I used to play with clay in my youth. Had a big ole bucket of grey clay that once was colored.)
Glitter
Paint in various colors. (only a few shown)
Sheet Moss.
2 sized wooden plaques
Led Lights
30 Second sound recorder.

I wanted it to be a sculpture and less like a model. I had a few random concepts of the final outcome but over all it came out as planned.

Last edited:
IMG_1143.jpgIMG_1123.jpgIMG_1124.jpgIMG_1139.jpgIMG_1141.jpg

So i began with wire and covered it in clay. I had a ton of this fence stuff leftover from a house project. I like to utilize what I have to cut back on costs.
This part is beyond basic. I started with the first image from the movie......and tried blending it with the rest of the photos. The realization of a concept painting finally re shaped the mountain.

This is inspired so its not a replica. When it comes to rock faces like this you would need a hard copy of an original.

Last edited:
For all the little bits
IMG_1137.jpgIMG_1136.jpgIMG_1138.jpgIMG_1149.jpgIMG_1148.jpgIMG_1180.jpgIMG_1181.jpgIMG_1178.jpgIMG_1179.jpg
I found this clay to be fluffy and sticky. I used flour to help cut back on the stick, it leaves little room for really wonderful detail. But for basics it does wonderfully.
I used to know a girl in HS who made fairy figurines with this clay and used feathers for wings. It was pretty wicked. I remade many pieces several times.

Last edited:
IMG_1164.jpgIMG_1161.jpgIMG_1153.jpgIMG_1154.jpg
Paint and pearls.
I used several colors. black for a base duh. get rid of all the tiny white misses.

Grey
Light Grey
Yellow
Brown
white

I used a mini toaster oven for the bits. The odd part is.... after all this along with the many mistakes and boo boos along the way. I only have a small hand full of un baked clay left. Always have enough and be prepared. Noted!

For the pearls I used fabric glue because it dries clear. It was pretty easy. lets not get on the topic of the drilled holes in all the pearls. That was a mess to clean up. Let me tell you. Go with anything round tiny same size and UN-Drilled. if you do drilled string them and lay them in rows. I wanted more organic with the pearls. Stringing the pearls would have saved a ton of time and allot of fussing.

Lesson Learned!

Last edited:
IMG_1172.jpgIMG_1174.jpgIMG_1175.jpg

I decided next that I needed something at the freaking gate. What would protect, but not in a threatening way.
The Southern Oracle.
YES I KNOW ONE BOOB IS LARGER! I fixed that later on in the build. lol
I planned on putting a plaque inside and then i gave up and also made a mini Orin. and used it as the button to activate the sound.
I painted them with an electric dark blue. Then a lighter blue for highlights. Then I went insane with glitter.
DON' T get on me about glitter. They are freaking sparkly as crap in person ! They look amazing I was happy with there outcome.

IMG_1188.jpgIMG_1185.jpgIMG_1186.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_1193.jpgIMG_1199.jpg
I used foam that I had on hand, to protect the inside. That way I was able to use dull coat, without getting it on the pearls. The pearls had there own laquor finish.

Then I finished her off with sheet moss. I went for sheet moss over fake trees or trying to sculpt trees because it allowed me accessibility and a range of green hues that I could never paint. Keep it damp and give it shady sunlight.

Everything electronic was put under the wood plaques

IMG_1183.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back