Throwing My Retractable Helmet in...**UPDATED 10-20 Map Projector finished-ish

Re: Throwing My Retractable Helmet in...**UPDATED 10-15 Map Projector & helmet progre

Congrats on the helmet, it looks incredible. And a fellow Wisconsinite as well!

Re: Throwing My Retractable Helmet in...**UPDATED 10-15 Map Projector & helmet progre

Hey thanks! Yeah not too many WI folks around it seems. And I'm actually living in Chicago now!

Nearly got the map projector finished today. Always a few small details left.

IMG_3618.jpgIMG_3629.jpgIMG_3627.jpg

Still not sure if I should update my build to reflect the prop as seen on the screen, instead of the pics Marvel posted of the props. Seems like it should reflect what's seen on screen, especially since it's only on for a minute or two. And the buttons would be nice for adding electronics.

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 6.28.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-21 at 6.28.48 PM.png

Of course, he doesn't appear to be using the buttons in the grabs.

In fact, it doesn't seem to have the screws or panel divisions.

I dig your map projector. :thumbsup How long is it? Looks like it might be a little large? Do you have a pic of the front?

I dig your map projector. :thumbsup How long is it? Looks like it might be a little large? Do you have a pic of the front?

Hey thanks a lot! You know I actually started a bigger one, then made a smaller one, then then scrapped it and went the middle road again. I thought it should feel a little large in my hand compared to Pratt's big paws. I thought it was looking large too for much of it but I'm pretty sure it's close anyway. Here's a super quick rough comparison. I'm not quite holding it at the correct angle but I think it serves.

proj_sizing.jpg

You can also see that the buttons and center black piece are different than on the prop shown on the Marvel site. They shrunk the center panel and added buttons.

The piece is just about 8.5" long. For the front end, lacking any reference, I made it the same ribbed texture as the butt plate, minus the detailing. Near as I can tell from my seat in the theater, there aren't any good shots of the business end. I thought I glimpsed a shot where the center was the projection area and the "wings" were just black. I figured the ribbing was a safe bet and it can be cut out and altered to preference (or when more data is available).

Oh and, yay! I finally made 2 pages!

There is a good concept drawing reference for the business end of the projector in the art book if you have it. I'll snap a pic and post when I get home tonight.

That is the top face of the prop, the pic Marvel released of the prop is the back face with battery access for the LED lighting.

I've been working on my own Mapper since
I saw the film for the first of many times back in August and like Matt fell in love with the Mapper. I think my love of Tricorders and the Handlink from Quantum Leap contributed to my love for this prop.
I'm going to continue working on mine, as you can see I had the top square and rounded square recess cut into mine.

This will be my companion piece to the Orbs I've been offering.

Having said that I will likely pick up one of Matt's kits too, as two scanners are better than one!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back