Fine Molds TIE fighters

ScootyPuffjr

Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to post some of my work here. A little background: I started painting wargaming miniatures about two and half years ago and I recently started to test the waters of scale modeling. I've been steadily collection the entire Fine Molds Star Wars catalog over the past year or so and after getting tired of looking at the boxes sitting on the shelf, I started to get some of them built. This TIE/Ln fighter is the first of the lot that I built and my first "true" scale model (outside of wargaming stuff). I did a short build log on my blog: http://surfaceofspace.blogspot.com/search/label/Build Log

newtie.png
tierear.png
tieflying.png

Aside from my normal job, I run a commission painting service part time so I don't have much time to work on personal stuff. However, I am between commissions right now (waiting for a client to send me the next round of models) so I managed to finish Darth Vader's TIE/x1 the other day. For Darth Vader's personal starfighter, I decided that a "factory fresh" paint job was inadequate for the Dark Lord considering his fighter has surely seen plenty of action against the Rebellion. For this model, I primed everything in white and gave it a base color of Tamiya Sky Grey and Flat White mixed at a 1:1 ratio. I then used Vallejo Masking Fluid to apply chips along corners and panel edges and gave the model a preshading of VMA Black followed by a coat of Tamiya Sky Grey. After I removed the liquid mask I sealed everything with a couple of coats of Future and gave it a wash with 502 Abteilung Starship Filth. After I cleaned up the excess, I began to discolor individual panels using 502 Abteilung Faded Grey, Faded UN White, and Faded Navy Blue followed by a couple of coats of matte varnish. The black wing panel interiors were masked and painted with a 6:1 mix of VMA Black and VMA Arctic Blue metallic to give them a metallic sheen. The kit instructions call for the hull to be painted Air Superiority Blue, but the craft never appeared bluish to me when watching the films so I went with the Sky Grey like a standard TIE from A New Hope.

vader.png
vader2.png
vader3.png
vader4.png

Comments and criticism is always welcome!

I'm learning how to paint models and your post is very informative. But your models...! Wow, they really snap to life. Thank you for sharing these pictures.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back