A question about 3d ripping

Belgen

Hi. It is possible to extract a 3D model from a video game? If so, how? I need the models from Warmachine: Tactics. Thanks for any help.

Sorry for the bad english, I use a translator ...

Not sure if its possible first of all.

Secondly, you are delving into possible copyright issues by attempting to pull 3d models from a game that was not intended for users to do so. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is a no-no here. Not to mention you would be practically stealing the work of another.

Since the game is made with Direct X you might be able to use 3D Ripper DX to get your models. Also game ripping is a gray area and most say it's OK as long as you don't try to pass it off as your own work.

Thanks for the replies. I've already tried it with 3d ripper dx, without success, probably because the game is on Steam platform.
As for the stealing, it seems to me decidedly exaggerated statement, considering that I have not listed as I intend to use the templates.
if anyone knows other methods, let me know, thanks.

You could try taking screen caps at different angles with a fixed reference point amd using somwthing like 123d catch (free autocad software that creates 3d meshes from images)

Lol I said practically stealing, never said it was stealing. Nothing exaggerated about that statement at all. Im not trying to turn this into an ethics debate, just raising the caution flag is all.

It is usually possible to rip models from games on the Steam platform, although some games and ripping software are not always compatible. Short answer, it can likely be done, but it requires (besides the game software) also ripping software, followed my conversion software for the files, and often specific scripts in the modeling software. There are several tutorials on youtube as well, but you're not going to find a one-stop tutorial that will be guaranteed to work. YOu might be able to find someone to get them for you, but not likely for free.

123d catch doesn't usually play nice with screencaps, in my experience. You end up with a mess that is waayyy more work than it's worth to try and make usable.

Also, I haven't really seen too many eyebrows raised over people extracting models from game platforms; I think studios would be more concerned with what you do with them after you've extracted (i.e. try and sell the models on Ebay lol, etc...) Most extracted game models (the Pacific Rim Jeagers are a great example) are nowhere close to being immediately usable in other formats anyways, and will require hours of 3d modeling to get them to a usable state (as a costume or even just a static model).

I suggest the OP keeps an eye on modding forums for the game. if anyone works out the file-format for the game, they are usually pretty quick to make a blender plugin to suit.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back