1/72 Cargo Space Ship

struschie

Hi Gang,
I lurk around these forums for some time now. Just recently discovered, here's a very cool non-studio scale section also. Just kidding. The RPF is a great example, how to run forums despite - and with - facebook.

But to the topic of this thread: A scratchbuild Cargo Space Ship in 1/72 done by a friend if mine and me.
We know each other for 21 years now and in december 2013 we decided to build something together. We now meet every month first friday to make some major progress. Inbetween not so much due to jobs, kids... well - RL, right?!

My friend Miguel has a big talent when it comes to sketches and the creative part. My only requirement was: Give me a design, where I can put as many greebles as possible.
After the first meetup we had some ideas and first mockups from cardboard:

Spaceship with Miguel

Miguel than turned to Sketchup
Progress Cockpit - SketchUp

I used Illustrator for the container:

plates ready

Being a big fan of the 70th models created for the SciFi flicks we all love, I 'had' to get some greebles. As I love to cast and am not keen on buying identical kits for some parts, I started preparing kitparts.

Greeblies to cast

In January new sketches of the whole ship:

After the first full PS cut container sowed me, that I don't like cutting exact plates and thus am not good at it. Or positive: I'ld like to spend my time better than doing that. So I got the parts for one container lasercutted...

... and made molds:

First Cast!

Meanwhile Miguel used Pep to unfold the cockpit:
pep1.jpg

...and started cutting
hl.jpg

I also molded structured sheet to fill the container:

This is where we've been after two month:

Three month:

I optimized my castings with very little flesh in open molds (getting rid of excess with metal ruler over transparent foil:

Also in march - construction and cutting of consoles:
20140316_020440.jpg

and finishing two containers:

Finally Two Container assembled

I than started with the middle structure. One main component should be a part we see in dozends of screen used ships (Y-Wing, Sulaco, Nostromo [more than you can count], Millenium Falcon etc.): The belly of the 232:

April:

1/72 Cargo Ship - Good Progress tonight

MockUp for substructure:

Internal structure with container clamp

Container plug

May

Middle section MockUp

This is a drawing with just one row of containers:

108 cm of Space Ship

June
Casting, casting, casting. And cockpit progress

10442957_1432668566998351_4464620103879903200_n.jpg

img_0564.jpg

July

New concept for middle section
IMG0586.jpg

My 3 1/2 year old son also loves to play with the greebles and when he one day asked, if we could build a spaceship, I used resin instead of LEGO ABS :

Greeble Express

I beefed up the MF part with 9 more kitparts:

Casting is very time consuming...

Can you spot 94 single parts...?

August
h2.jpg

pp4.jpg

10015090_1456002181331656_7859967433493775661_n.jpg

That's it so far.
If you want to read the (german) WIP with 766 posts so far, check it out here:
http://www.phoxim.de/forum/index.php?topic=9789.0

If you just want all the pictures, check them out here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/struschie/sets/72157639632780905/

If you're on fb - check out and maybe follow the album here:
https://m.facebook.com/struschie/albums/416432515156074/

Thanks for watching - I'll try to post major updates here as well.

Cheers,
struschie

Having followed this more-or-less from the start it's cool to see it all in one post. The latest cockpit pictures look amazing, I rather want to copy your engraved display but not sure I can do it in 1/350!

Will

I'd seen you posting parts of this on Flickr. Wondered what you were up to. Ship looks good :)
Thanks man!
Yes flickr is nice to get a flick - but there's nothing about text to get the context.
That's the reason I had to post it here: I got so much out this board and if anybody gets inspiration out of any aspect we created, I'm happy.

Having followed this more-or-less from the start it's cool to see it all in one post. The latest cockpit pictures look amazing, I rather want to copy your engraved display but not sure I can do it in 1/350!
Will
Cheers, mate!
I don't want to miss the exchange flickr gives us. Glad you like the thread :)
Miguel engraved that screen freehand! In your scale I'ld try a laser carving service...

Outstanding work! I really love this sorta project! Can't wait to see more!
--Alex
Thanks! Little update innext post :D

Freakin' awesome!
Appreciate you feedback - cheers!

Wow. Hurry up and finish it. Great work.
Haha - for now I'm in holiday enjoying the days at the beach building a Ma.K. SeaPig while my son sleeps around noon. No parts for this project here.
It's my longest running project and I think from what's left to do, it will keep us busy another 4 month at least...

- - - Updated - - -

Latest updates from Miguel - Washes, paint and details:
10348362_1457500694515138_1194329498264982623_n.jpg

10583861_1457500684515139_6862952483948858507_n.jpg

10405649_1457500717848469_5511814541693150120_n.jpg

Thanks for watching

/struschie

This is a really great project. And I love the scale. When I was younger I used to imagine my own universes... I would draw the planets and the galaxy and then create a race and design ships and stuff. I still have a drawing of my favorite fleet of ships I want to build some day. This project inspires me! :)

Thanks man!
As we're going to a show in four weeks in Germany, we decided to bring a rough mock up.
Today I made the hexagonal spacer where some plates will be glued on. and greebles. the first section will get three containers - the other two non. Big progress on the interiour also. four weeks left.

by struschie, on Flickr
Thanks for looking!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back