Star Lord Build from scratch-ish...

Staar Lord Maan

Greetings all - I'm 'Staar Lord Maan', and while I don't have a cool hip and groovy avatar just yet, I'm excited to be a part of this community! The first couple paragraphs here are me spouting a lot of history and flowery stuff about the Chris Pratt, so feel free and scroll down to the pictures ;)
THANK YOU!
Before I start, I wanna' thank Helegak for "Star Lord helmet AND accessories!!! by Helagak" in which he shared all those awesome 3D files for the mask and twin blasters. I had absolutely no idea how I was going to make those and am *still* on the hunt for the boot rocket activation buttons located on Peter Quill's pant legs as well as the boot/ankle rockets and the holster clips for the aforementioned twin blasters. If you have links to these things, I'd love to see them included on this thread, thanks!

Why am i doing this?
After having watched Chris Pratt mention in a press junket interview, (click this, it's near the end of the interview), that he stole pieces of his costume from the production of GOTG so he could go and visit sick kids in a hospital, the fire was lit under me to do the same. I quit my band (and I'm the leader of it), and will be selling a lot of gear to help fund this project as it's not as soul-sucking as being in a band :facepalm) Then I discovered that Chris Pratt actually visited Children's Hospital, that the following Wednesday. That guy is made of awesome, period.
I can't wait to don the costume of the most awesome character I've seen in a movie since Han Solo...(who shot first). ...Right...enough fan-g33k1ng,

Please have a look here for my initial post regarding what I'm up to, I go into things ad nauseum, there. (regurgitating it here would be redundantly redundant).

BUT...the first thing I focused on and am almost finished with are the gloves which are worn in the beginning of the movie and are shown on the movie poster.
GOTG gloves.jpg ...and on the toy...GOTG Gloves.png...note the pinkie finger detail where the leather only covers the tip, there.

Okay, slide show time! - supplies needed...
Gloves Prep_00.JPG Gloves BEFOREb.JPG
Gloves BEFOREa.JPGGloves Prep_01.JPG
What sold me on the Kobalds was the way the leather covered the first two fingers; it looked very 'space pilot' to me. (that, and they looked ultra cool while holding my Nerf Quadblaster)
Before GUNa.JPGGloves Prep 04.JPG ...but as I discovered, those had to be covered anyway and I wound up cutting them off and restitching it back together. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the gray foam sub straight had a huge seam allowance!
Gloves Prep 05.JPG Cut the shapes needed out and sized them up to the Kobalt gloves, as seen here; Gloves Prep 03.JPG

I used a straight sewing needle, (large) with brown nylon thread. Pull out about a yard and a half of thread, double it over and shove the folded end through the eye of the needle and bam...four thread thickness for your leather stitching. I opted for hand stitching because while we do have an old Singer Sewing machine which would sew through concrete, I'd have to tear apart a set of gloves and pray I could get them reassembled correctly. After I finished any stitch, I would perform a suture stitch to lock the thread down and then I'd dab it with a very small amount of Krazy Glue to be sure. Use of waxed thread migth work, too, but at the end of the day, the wax wears off and things come undone....or you can hire a glove maker, #notme. :p
Glove-in process_01.JPGGlove-in process_-stitching.JPG <--Run the needle through both layers of leather and then send it back through the loop and pull tight.
Here's my work space, at night - I highly recommend:cool getting the soundtrack, btw...
Lews' work space for small bits.JPG Gloves - batteries.JPG IMG_1980.JPG
So, by the time I figured out what I was doing and how, the right glove looked a little rough, but the left one is shaping up quite nicely...
Right Left
Right glove.JPG Left glove.JPG
The knuckle-pads and the darker colored leather are all cut from parts of the Costco Glove, (which I was certain to use in my gardening to age it, a bit - use water and mud. If you have a set of gloves like this in your garage, use the weathered leather for detail work. I adhered them using common Krazy Glue because I am a flawed impatient human being who can't hand stitch something that small. I put them on there with the suede side up so the definition could be seen rather than it being lost against the same color/texture leather.

Now, scroll up and look closer at the poster image; You'll note that the gloves have longer wrists and tuck into Star Lord's trench coat sleeve, (racing gloves do this, but those are pricey).
On that wrist section, you can see a triangular leather detail which was perfect for covering the branding on the Kobalt glove, so I further-murdured the gardening gloves and popped it onto the wrist, finishing the look.

This is very much a 'one thing at a time' build because there is sooooo much going on in it. The costumers on this movie deserve props...and I shake my fist at them because well...it's only been three days and my fingers are killin' me

ON DECK:
"Awesome Mix Vol 1_LABEL"

I look forward to seeing what you all have to contribute as I move forward and if someone can show me how to add people as friends, here, that'd be great! (yes, gonna buy a premium membership...)

Last edited:
Glove adjunct post..
I've been informed that a good non-flexible cyanoacrylate (strong fast-acting adhesives with industrial, medical and household uses) can be found at --> MSI (BSI IC-2000)...and it works better than Krazy Glue.
BSI 118 MED.jpgHowever, as we're working in Leather, This stuff ---> E6000 <--- might be a better bet...E6000.jpg

Feel free and chime in with your favorite leather adhesives :D

E6000.jpg

BSI 118 MED.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I know I promised the Awesome Mix thing, but It appears that this is something that's already been made and all I really did was print it up, cut it out and glue it to the wrong kind of cassette tape. I don't intend on selling them, but if anyone is interested in the correctly sized image file, get in touch and I'll make it available to you.

I have been keeping track of my build and sharing it on my FB page while most of my time here, has been spent researching, purchasing things and responding to posts. Gotta get to that fifty posts!

So...today I found these!
Invinity ORBs.JPG Styrofoam ORB hero piece.jpg
They look like bocce balls, but aren't nearly heavy enough...but they're made of WOOD so I can dremel the pattern into them. I may have more of these at my disposal soon too...mwoohahaha! Also...the original orb...see image for my query...

Edit: Is anyone making a lighted and solonoid-driven pop-up action 'Gravity Attraction Triad'? (correct me on the name of that thingy if you know it's real name) :confused

Last edited:
Looking good, look forward to your progress

Hi! Thanks for popping by to have a look! I actually have been doing updates on Facebook, don't ask why, nobody reads them, there, so I'll just paste from there to show my progress. (By the way, there are two 'attached thumbnails that somehow made it here...how can I get those removed?)

This first image, (close up of needle through leather - please click it to full screen if you can, this one came out spectacularly), pretty much represents every bit of free time I could grab over the past week and a half. One set of gloves finished and by the way, another item came in today. The buckle from the knapsack/purse that is featured quite prominently in the movei. These things are heavy!

(Shoe update) - had to send the sketchers back...half size too big and I was walking out of them.(Further update: got the shoes again...still walking out of them because they're slip ons. I suspect once I attach the rest of the spat to it, I may see a marked performance.

Now that the gloves are finished, I can direct my attention to the 3D printed things...time to sell my guitar!
Fists.JPG Fingers.JPG Finished.JPG
And here's the anatomy of the stitch I used...lots of finger pain.
Anatomy of a stitch 1.JPGAnatomy of a stitch 2.JPGAnatomy of a stitch 3.JPG
Anatomy of a stitch 4.JPG Anatomy of a stitch 6.JPGAnatomy of a stitch 166.JPG
IMG_2002.JPGIMG_2001.JPG

Anatomy of a stitch 1.JPG

Anatomy of a stitch 2.JPG

Anatomy of a stitch 3.JPG

Anatomy of a stitch 6.JPG

Anatomy of a stitch 166.JPG

IMG_2001.JPG

Fists.JPG

Fingers.JPG

Finished.JPG

Anatomy of a stitch 4.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

This is off to a great start and I love your motivation.
Please conside if you want to combine costuming, children's charity and a safe adventure, give thedropzone.ca a look.
The Vancouver BC event would be a quick trip from California.
My hope is if we can get enough Americans doing the Dropzone in Canada perhaps we can get enought interest and import this and do it off the Transamerica Pyramid.

This is off to a great start and I love your motivation.
Please conside if you want to combine costuming, children's charity and a safe adventure, give thedropzone.ca a look.
The Vancouver BC event would be a quick trip from California.
My hope is if we can get enough Americans doing the Dropzone in Canada perhaps we can get enought interest and import this and do it off the Transamerica Pyramid.

Well of course, you'd touch on the only irrational fear I harbor...unsecured heights...BUT...I'll make a promise.

As much as I'm afraid of it, once I get Star-Lord completed, I will make it my life's mission to get out there and....(dear god, what am I *doing*?)....repel off a tall tall building wearing the garb in the name of the good it does for the Easter Seals. Perhaps we can have a summit of some kind...make this, (as Wil Wheaton likes to say), "A thing".

I may have to come up with a special mask to wear that will fit under the hardhat, but as I've mentioned before...it's for the kids.

Good Man! It is A Thing.

I am sure with all the resources on the RPF we will be able to come up with a screen accurate mask that can fit in a safety helmet.

Besides if we have the red LEDs shine in your eyes you won't see how high up you are. ;)

Good Man! It is A Thing.

I am sure with all the resources on the RPF we will be able to come up with a screen accurate mask that can fit in a safety helmet.

Besides if we have the red LEDs shine in your eyes you won't see how high up you are. ;)

Soooo comforting, thanks, LOL! In all seriousness, I did a little digging and there is, indeed, an event like this in San Jose, California in December. Easter Seals has a thing with heights, don't they?

So, I got this in the mail a couple days ago, tried to post about it and the page crashed, go figure...

I've seen other shirts
IMG_2045.JPG IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2048.JPG
Here is a tone caparison...
Two colors of blue.jpg
I think I might need to tone one down or gray one up or something, before I start cutting one or the other to add the applique panels to create the cool, hip, awesome and epic space shirt.
The collar shown in this next image has sort of a segmented thing going on and I wish I knew which word to use to describe it. I know it's not a pleat...durr...I can't brain, I have the dumb.
GOTG - Shirt.jpg @Kevin Gossett - you wouldn't happen to have any better images of this shirt so I can add the details via applique?

My wife, (who is tickling the idea of playing NEBULA, god bless her redheaded soul), pointed out that I could get a fine tip sharpie and just draw those lines on, so long as they're evenly spaced. Piece of cake, right?

Beyond that, I've had a conversation with the people at Tandy Leather in Sacramento, CA and it's confirmed; the Dee ring needed for the satchel is NOT discontinued.

I read this and had to double check for ErkNinja;

I saw some posts around saying that some people found them at their local Tandy. However, I also heard that the 1.75" ring was discontinued as well...so I'm not sure. If I can't find any, I guess the next best thing would be a 2" D-ring.

IMG_2034.JPGIMG_2035.JPG

Rejoice!

Also, thanks to Zlurpo for a lot of these images, (which I most likely found on his thread "The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread")....
Knapsack detail from toy.jpg Trench coat BACK FULL DETAIL.jpgbagpocket.jpg quillbagreach.jpg

...I have something to go off of when cutting the patterns. I am using those big thin square bits of cardboard that Costco uses to separate loads of product), which are a perfect thickness and durable enough to manhandle and eventually store under a bed next to, (or under), all those shoes...
Costco Cardboard2.JPGCostco Cardboard1.JPGCostco Cardboard3.JPG
That's my update until I can manage to source the proper materials for the pants, and, well...everything else, for which I can thank Risu for from one of his posts where he mentions the following (Pardon the shameless quote at the end, here, but it's much easier to find this way, heh!

Hey everybody, I went to the Sherman Oaks Arclight yesterday and took a really good look at the costumes. I just wanted to mention some things I observed.

1. Quill's shirt isn't blue, its a cool charcoal grey.
2. The snaps on the jacket and pants aren't hammered flat, they're a special magnetic snap, in aged brass.
3. The jacket is made from what I think is deep red goatskin, but it COULD be lambskin. The red twill matches the leather in color, it might even be slightly darker. The difference in color between different panels isn't because of fading or distressing, they used two different shades of red silk screening ink on the jacket.
4. The brown parts of the boots: The pieces with the slots punched out on the foot and below the knee are two layers of tooling leather. The wrapped section is distressed brown garment cowhide wrapped around tooling leather.
5. The lining of the jacket is a medium grey polyester mesh with a lighter grey or blue satin behind it. When I took a picture with flash that backing fabric lit up and looked crazy.

Cheers, all, and keep on creating!

Beyond that, I've had a conversation with the people at Tandy Leather in Sacramento, CA and it's confirmed; the Dee ring needed for the satchel is NOT discontinued.

I read this and had to double check for ErkNinja;

View attachment 372256View attachment 372257

Rejoice!

EDIT: I just looked up the part number from your pictures and that is for the 1.5" D-ring. I also then converted 38mm to inches and that is also 1.5".

Thank you for checking though!

Good news/bad news - Good news: I spent about 45 minutes looking around on the tandy website and I found the 1.75" D-rings. The part number is 1129-05 (Link). Bad news: It says Closeout - Limited to stock on hand. First come, first served. No Backorders.

Last edited:
Possibly the most brilliant thing I've heard in my entire life, this morning, LOL! if you slap a micrometer on that bad boy, how this is the stock? I may just pick up thick wire and follow suit, heh!

My order from tandy just shipped, so I should be getting it either tomorrow or Saturday. I can let you guys know the thickness of them when it arrives.

Staar Lord Maan, Nice find on the shirt and neck area. I haven't gotten to that point with the shirt yet. But look forward to seeing how yours turns out. Hopefully this weekend I can cut the leather for my belt and boots

@Staar Lord Maan, Nice find on the shirt and neck area. I haven't gotten to that point with the shirt yet. But look forward to seeing how yours turns out. Hopefully this weekend I can cut the leather for my belt and boots

Thanks! @StarLordGoG ! (...you must know that you're one of my heroes, here on RPF)

Right then...I know that I've seen more images of the shirt with the details somewhere, I just couldn't get my brain to make the connection...it was probably here on RPF somewhere...hang on, lemme dig around

(The Girl from Ipanema playing...)

Okay, thirty minutes later, I have this for you all...

In this first shot,we see that there is, indeed, a darker panel on the bottom half of the arm, there. I'm certain that someone, somewhere on this planet, *has* this shirt hanging in their closet, but barring the massive search, let's all break out some fabric, yes?

SHIRT Elbow Detail.jpg
In *this* shot, we see that the shirt has some front yolk stitching, the likes of which you'd normally find on the *back* of a long sleeve shirt, hence my whimsical caption for this image, below;
SHIRT.jpg
"Go home, Chris Pratt, you're drunk" (shirt's on wackbirds)...okay bakcwards.

And in closing, a more adorable angle of the arm detail from when Chris Pratt set out to prove that he *really is* a super hero.
Shirt 3.jpg
hashtag: awwww!

[edit] - when applying the darker colored fabric to this shirt, ensure that you run two character seams around the wrist, (look closely, you'll see it in the zoomed image).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back