Star Lord Build from scratch-ish...

This is a product review for the Star Lord figurine - the guy doing it is kinda boring to listen to, so just mute it and fast forward through to see the AMAZEBALLS detail on this thing. To be honest, when I make the trench coat for my costume, I'll be referring to this video.....which is why I'm posting it here....

Last edited by a moderator:
@Staar Lord Maan

Don't get me wrong, but the trench coat is not the same color as what the Hot toys have figured it out. Here's another visual reference for the actual leather trench coat. The trench coat has got 2 layers by the way. Now I let you hunt for more references. Muahahaha *Flies away to home planet*

53e521f5a9314.jpg

Happy searching hunt my Star-Lord friend. :lol Star-Lord fan to another.

53e521f5a9314.jpg

@Staar Lord Maan

Don't get me wrong, but the trench coat is not the same color as what the Hot toys have figured it out. Here's another visual reference for the actual leather trench coat. The trench coat has got 2 layers by the way. Now I let you hunt for more references. Muahahaha *Flies away to home planet*

View attachment 417170

Happy searching hunt my Star-Lord friend. :lol Star-Lord fan to another.

....I like you, Zexcced, I shall ensure you will die last in my realm. Muahahaha Also flies away, but to another planet.....made of cookies.....kidding about killin' ya. let's go bowling. :)

In all seriousness, the video is great if you're looking to do a pattern because all the seams are detailed. The orange tone you see looks to be a wash rubbed onto the jacket..look at the upper right side of that panel...maroon blends from under that light ink wash or what ever it is. :)

....I like you, Zexcced, I shall ensure you will die last in my realm. Muahahaha Also flies away, but to another planet.....made of cookies.....kidding about killin' ya. let's go bowling. :)

In all seriousness, the video is great if you're looking to do a pattern because all the seams are detailed. The orange tone you see looks to be a wash rubbed onto the jacket..look at the upper right side of that panel...maroon blends from under that light ink wash or what ever it is. :)

Haha Loved it. I shall move to the planet made of cookies, well after bowling with you. :lol

For you, here's an extra reference of which I meant its a double layer for that trench coat. Well technically, it's like a cut leather jacket, and trench coat over it.

capture4-guardians-of-the-galaxy-entertainment-weekly-goes-galactic.png

Still trying to figure out the exact color of the trench coat. Is it Maroon, or Chestnut? Since its a Marvel Custom, it's a blend color. When you see it from up close its chestnut distressed color with some reddish wine blend to it. From far way, it is Maroon blend with.....Err so many choices. Here's where I could used some help though. :lol

Also, what you said about the video is true for the case of trench coat reference. Its an absolute excellent video showcasing the patterns details of the trench coat, and the Hottoys Star-Lord Action Figure.

In all honesty, I bought one for myself to start laying down the patterns for the trench coat with the visual still images and reference pictures I had from Marvel Customs thread on their website. Quite a shame that the "review" of the action figure also showcased the back side of the trench coat as well as the fine seam details of it. (All in HD formate video too) :cry

By the way, is it me or is the video audio making my ears hear one side background music, while the other listens to the person speaking? :lolAlso, will keep you updated when I find more details about the inner side of the trench coat, or in general. ;)

Thanks for the friend request, I approved immediately.:D
Zexcced.

(Also Merry Christmas From Japan)

capture4-guardians-of-the-galaxy-entertainment-weekly-goes-galactic.png

So far, my build has been monopolized by my Element guns. I'm happy to say that one of them is 98% complete...it needs a few tweaks on the tips, but overall, I'm happy with them. Here's the finished one...

IMG_2917.JPGIMG_2916.JPGIMG_2920.JPG

Now remember, this thing started life like this;

1 Before.JPG
...my god...look at all the HOLES for SCREWS!

and now, if I may say so, myself...it almost looks just like the image I was using as reference...
IMG_2922.JPG

With all that out of my way, I'm ready to move on to it's counterpart, the holster clips.
I got mine today and as you can see, I immediately broke one of them. There is a slight issue with the support blades staying affixed, (2nd and 3rd image);
IMG_2966.JPG IMG_2967.JPGIMG_2965.JPG
On the bright side, they DO hold the gun in place quite firmly. It's the removing of the weapon from the clips which endanger the clips. I know I probably should have not been so excited right off the bat and I should have reinforced them by using small screws from behind, but hey....it was like Christmas for me, getting these things, LOL!

Anyway, After a quick and very helpful conversation with Kevin Gossett, I went at it with some of this stuff...
IMG_2972.JPG
...which works like gangbusters, just don't forget to wait for that fully 60 seconds before applying the glue. Stuff sets like IRON.

...I made sure to really goop the glue on to reinforce these things...
IMG_2973.JPGIMG_2974.JPG
...but then I got to thinking about how these things have to flex just a little bit because they have knobby ends on them to keep them affixed to the weapon. The clearance is less than the width of each part of the trigger guards so it should 'click' into place. Unfortunately, the second time I did this, the holster clip snapped off. To accommodate the width, shaved a little of the ABS away from the knobby bits to lessen the flex and the amount of scratching which occurs on my paint job. (==side note==) I've heard that ABS has a certain smell to it and as I cut away the tiny layers, some of that gas escaped from between the layers...very interesting...and smelly.

I also realized that I still have some of this stuff left over from doing the emitter housing build-ups on the guns themselves...
Plumbers Epoxy.JPG
So, I had a look at the holster clips as they were affixed to my Element gun and found that there is some clearance to work with, (the blue lines),
Currently, here's where I am with reinforcing them.

I'll be building the putty up to reach the blue line and probably, I'll be spreading it over the texture of the entire thing so as to give it more strength as well as a smoother finish.
IMG_2975.JPGIMG_2976.JPG
If you've never used this stuff and if you plan to, just be aware that it turns into something as hard as stone in about three minutes, so work fast. You can always sand later.

Hope you all had a great New Year!

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

Plumbers Epoxy.JPG

IMG_2916.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

1 Before.JPG

Yep, plain old sharpies, but I didn't apply the ink directly - I used a neatly folded up paper towel and "inked it" before rubbing it on. The trick was in the blending/layering. I'd suggest practicing on something other than your own Element Gun first.:cool

Now that the weather has warmed up a bit I"m getting ready to start the painting on my element blasters, what paints did you use for the heat scorching?

He used sharpies ;)

I got the boot-rocket assembly in the mail, (some assembly required, as you can see) Being a 3D print from ABS, the it needs a few tweaks with a nail file or Emory board, ABS shears far too easily, so, so if you should decide to print this up, check your numbers on the tabs and slots. The exterior-measurement for any given tab should be made a fraction smaller so as to avoid accidental tab-shearing while 'filing to fit'.

In keeping with my Ren-Faire training, everything on my costume must have a story, however small the item or fantastic the story, so....
IMG_3025.JPG
As you can see, I've brewed-up names for each part shown, below. My only regret is not being able to make these weigh about a half to three quarters of a pound, (each). I imagine I could get some Strong Neodymium Magnets and hollow out a chamber in the 'KCC' housing.

...for those curious about the size, I've placed a razor blade in this shot for your reference;

IMG_3024.JPG

And here's a link for those Strong Neodymium Magnets

I started to clean up the holsters while I await my tube of Bondo Glazing Putty to arrive

IMG_3129.JPGIMG_3130.JPGIMG_3131.JPG

There was some resolution I wanted to smooth out, so I used plastic wood for that part...
IMG_3134.JPG

And earlier, I mentioned that I was experiencing issues with how ABS does not like to flex. So I did what I'm used to doing and attacked the things with some more two-part plumber's epoxy. it went on sloppy, but I filed one of them down for shape and once it's painted, and there's a gun on it...well...nobody's gonna see it anyway, LOL

Oh, and yes...filing all these angles was a pain in arse, LOL!

IMG_3137.JPGIMG_3138.JPGIMG_3139.JPG

On a final note, the nubbs which are meant to hold the gun in place are actually filed completely off on this version of the holster.

Doe anyone know if this can be printed in RUBBER?

Doe anyone know if this can be printed in RUBBER?

You can print a few different kinds of rubber. There's one called ninjaflex that is very flexible but sometimes requires a specific feeder/extruder since it tends to "pop out" of alignment. Great for something like a bike grip. There's also a rubber-like PLA from Colorfabb that seems fairly good and might be stiff enough to hold blasters.One difficult aspect with them would be smoothing the surface, since you can't really sand effectively. I haven't tried them myself because I've heard that they are fiddly and temperamental.

One potential problem I can see with using "hard" fillers on a piece that is likely to flex slightly is that the filler may crack and since you don't have a strong bond to begin with there's a risk of it flaking off in chunks. (I tend to stay away from ABS because it's harder to glue and paint than many other plastics... though not nearly as hard to work with as PVC. It's also not very health-friendly.)

You could also split the model up and print the larger piece in something rubbery and the holder in PLA... best of both worlds. PLA can actually be set up to be flexible depending on how solid you make the part...

Thanks, Joe, good info. The material I'm using hardens as strong as concrete and the flex issues have been addressed with a lot of filing. The gun fits snug without much flex, at the moment, and what I plan to do after everything is said and done is to affix some kind of strap with a snap on as a safeguard. Also, I'l be reinforcing it from the rear with a couple of small pins so that it won't snap off. Of course, there's the whole 'learning-that-I-have-extra-stuff-on-my-legs-and-avoiding-going-around-corners-too-tightly-so-as-to-avoid-snapping-the-sub-strait-off'...thing,

what I plan to do after everything is said and done is to affix some kind of strap with a snap on as a safeguard. Also, I'l be reinforcing it from the rear with a couple of small pins so that it won't snap off. Of course, there's the whole 'learning-that-I-have-extra-stuff-on-my-legs-and-avoiding-going-around-corners-too-tightly-so-as-to-avoid-snapping-the-sub-strait-off'...thing,

That's kinda how I feel when clubbing with my Proton Pack. (I don't do it often, needless to say!) I'm guessing you've already finsihed painting the guns, otherwise you could always have embedded a couple magnets... unless you can hide them inside.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh that's funny. I've been documenting the build on my thread and this post over HERE pretty much sums it up. I went a whole different direction with mine than everyone else did with theirs with lights and operational doo dads. Each of mine weighs 3 pounds, 4 ounces! Even if I wanted to add magnates, there's no way they'll hold, LOL! On the bright side, every person who's handled these things has reacted the same "Woaah.....that's heavy! WOW! The feel REAL!"

Achievement unlocked.

I am posting this jacket here as a way for me to find it and as a note to those who are trying to do an Orange Gradient detail at the bottom of the jacket, (...check the images...) Also, I've seen a screen printed jacket but can't confirm if the screen printing is on Cotton Twill fabric or not. Ultimately, that's what I'd like to get...a jacket with THIS Orange Detail and gradient....not this one...the pattern is not right and it's all leather, but I'll give them props for choosing a texture to emulate it...

The Jacket Makers $335.00 for pete sake!

Back Gradient.pngFront.pngOrange Seam detail-side.pngOrange Seam Pointed detail.png

Danny's jacket is probably the closest you will be able to get from a "commercial" maker. To get the orange color on my jacket I used a lot of orange dye in in the mix, then bleached before I did the printing.
panel.jpg

As I understand it, the pattern on Danny's jacket is solid red and not clear, so bleaching that would make it look odd. The fabric in that jacket also seems to contain a lot of blue since it shifts towards magenta in a lot of photos instead of rust/brown so it would turn bright pink if bleached. One thing you could do is get it and drybrush (or airbrush) orange fabric paint over it. At a distance, it'll probably look OK.

@joatrash, thanks for the idea of dry brushing or air brushing the orange color gradent effect

Also, I've seen a screen printed jacket but can't confirm if the screen printing is on Cotton Twill fabric or not.

If it's Danny's jacket you mean (also available on ebay) I recall him mentioning it being gabardine and not twill. That probably means that it has a smoother texture/weave and not the diagonal of twill or denim. No idea as to if it's cotton, wool or synthetic.

hey all, joined the other day as i'm looking to get a star lord costume together, although my skills in the costuming department are 0 lol, so will probably be sourcing stuff already done. @Staar Lord Maan glad to see you have as much attention to detail as i do! i've seen so many costumes and various items by people that just lack that eye for detail, being a perfectionist i'm finding it hard to get anything so will probably work with someone to build it.....or ask you :lol
@joatrash i've looked at loads of jackets and none are exact, the one staar lord maan posted is the jacket i'm looking at just because it has (as he mentions) a similar design snake skin i think even though it should be a printed design, and most importantly they have the colour transition at the back and bottom side bits. they don't have the slanted sleeve ends either but i'm in talks with them about that ;). Your reference to Danny's jacket on ebay, can you tell me what to search for or he's name on there so i can have a look please? There is a thread on here (called something like screen accurate star lord jacket) regarding the printed design someone has made looks perfect!

EDIT: joatrash, that jacket from danny is the one i saw, I've messaged him (dannylopuz) about it earlier today :thumbsup

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back