Fine Molds 1:48 Snowspeeder - Finished

DanielB

Sr Member
Hi, all. A little over a week ago I completed this T-47 Snowspeeder. My first ever Star Wars model. I hope to do the TIE Advanced, Y-Wing, and X-Wing in the next few months. Fun project!

YRY9GuT.jpg

aIV6OOg.jpg

scqYWM6.jpg

rbfiD8A.jpg

VClkzlU.jpg

mAgKePt.jpg

Do the little air brakes open?

I've put together two of the FM 1/48 X-wings, and I have yet to do the engines correctly....

Your snow speeder looks good. I especially like all the tiny black markings – technical pen?

No, no technical pens used here. The main body colors, gray, white, and orange were painted with Tamiya paints airbrushed. I then did oil paint weathering on top of the tamiya base. Once that dryed, I used Vallejo paints with tiny tiny brushes to do the little markings and dings on the hull, as well as the oil stains seeping out of panel lines.

Also, you can build the model with the airbreaks open, but I chose not to do so because I like the more streamlined look.

Last edited:
Excellent work!!....detailed, accurate, very good!!.......and great photos!

I've seen many model/props that were good, but the photos were substandard so one could never really see how good it was.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the base, but that's being super critical...overall excellent result, well done.

Excellent work!!....detailed, accurate, very good!!.......and great photos!

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have done professional photography from time to time, so I know my way around a camera. :) I also feel that good photography helps do a model justice. Thank you for your kind words.

That's really nice, the extent of weathering seems just right - lots to see close up, but not so much you can't read the shape from further back.

W

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have done professional photography from time to time, so I know my way around a camera. :) I also feel that good photography helps do a model justice. Thank you for your kind words.

You're most welcome:D...now get rid of that black stand and go clear acrylic...;)

I've sold some of my built props on ebay and get sometimes twice as much as others selling the same thing.....why??......very good photos.;)...it's all about presentation...

I was wondering when this was going to show up here. Great work! The weathering and details really pop against the white background. Which gray did you use as the base?

SB

Which gray did you use as the base?

The base color is Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey mixed 50:50 with Tamiya Flat White. That mixture was then thinned 2 parts paint to 1 part Tamiya Lacquer thinner for airbrushing. Thinning these paints with lacquer thinner instead of acrylic thinner is more toxic, but it makes the paint dry with a harder shell and thus more durable. The orange of the Snowspeeder is a 50:50 mix of Tamiya Flat Red and Tamiya Flat Yellow.

The base color is Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey mixed 50:50 with Tamiya Flat White. That mixture was then thinned 2 parts paint to 1 part Tamiya Lacquer thinner for airbrushing. Thinning these paints with lacquer thinner instead of acrylic thinner is more toxic, but it makes the paint dry with a harder shell and thus more durable. The orange of the Snowspeeder is a 50:50 mix of Tamiya Flat Red and Tamiya Flat Yellow.

Good to know....I didn't think the Tamiya range could be thinned with ACL thinner, I'll give it a go!

I have some of that Tamiya X-20A lacquer thinner, but have not used it yet for paint. I did find that it does not work well with Mr. Surfacer.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back