Mint in box....I just don't get it

This is why I buy 2 of whatever itis, one to pack away in its box, the other to open and display. Problem solved!

Or like that lady that bought two of everything for her kids: one to play with and one for spare parts.

Yes. I have the receipt and I have the right to deny the manufacturer possession if they want it back.

I don't think tasting something qualifies as a reasonable means of proving ownership of a product. If I taste your computer does that make it mine now that I know what it tastes like?

She was no transsexual. She didn't transfer her essence because she believed she was a man, she did it because being a man was the only way to become Captain of a starship. Also, shouldn't you be more worried about what that episode said about women in general?

Janice: Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women.
Janice (In Kirk's Body): Now you know the indignity of being a woman. For you this agony will soon pass, as it has for me. Quiet. Quiet! Believe me, it's better to be dead than to live alone in the body of a woman. It's better to be dead.

If it wasn't for the original single disc release containing the unaired pilot "The Cage", I would have gladly left that disc in it's wrapper.

If we're all going to die one day, what's the difference as long as the person who owns it gets what they want out of it? Packaging is an art form in and of itself, and sometimes the product never feels complete without it. Heck, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment shipped their ALIEN Anthology BluRay "Egg" set in a box that had an opening underneath of it so you can access the discs without taking the egg out of the box! You get best of both worlds with that kind of strategy.

The value of something should be measured in what the individual wants out of it. That can be from opening the package and playing around with it's contents, displaying it, modifying it, burning it or just leaving it in it's box. There is no real way to 'collect' because it's all based around personal value. A person can die happily knowing they still had something they wanted in it's box just as happily as another person who died knowing that they were opened and played with theirs.

I will concede that occasionally, the packaging can be quite ornate and clever. But this is usually not the case.and it's just some simple printed insert.
I got an excclusive Vertigo Death figure from Comicon that the package was so cool, but I took her out anyways, I did keep the packaging.
Or recently a Godzilla where the packaging folds open into a pop up of a destroyed city with Godzilla zip tied in the middle. Won't be taking him out but I did cut the tape to open the box.
If your not a child and actively playing with them though, your collecting because of art appreciation I assume. Your favorite characters
or prop or vehicle appeals to you in that it is pleasing to the eye.
But I can't get how one can enjoy art that is in a box buried in the garage pile never seen.
I've seen some collectors hang the packages on the wall to display that makes more sense to me, but display space must become an issue fast.

Last edited:
This is slightly related: there was an article on MSN on how none of our stuff from our childhood is worth anything and there's no reason to hang onto it. Apparently they've never seen the prices vintage toys and game systems go for on ebay. Just made me laugh at how out of tune people are with what's actually going on.

This is slightly related: there was an article on MSN on how none of our stuff from our childhood is worth anything and there's no reason to hang onto it. Apparently they've never seen the prices vintage toys and game systems go for on ebay. Just made me laugh at how out of tune people are with what's actually going on.

Well, it's a catch 22. Fact is that the only reason any of this has value is that most people tossed it. That's what makes it rare and valuable.

Also, the only reason it's big right now is because of nostalgia. As people of the target demographic grow old and die the market will plunge for all but a few select things that no one now could identify.

So the article has a point.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Well, it's a catch 22. Fact is that the only reason any of this has value is that most people tossed it. That's what makes it rare and valuable.

Also, the only reason it's big right now is because of nostalgia. As people of the target demographic grow old and die the market will plunge for all but a few select things that no one now could identify.

So the article has a point.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

True plus now every major game system up until the playstation has emulators so that appeals to younger gamers as they can run them on their phones.

I collect coins. And coin collectors can really be stupid people when it comes to this "keep it originally sealed, because it decreases the value, if you open it" thing. :D:lol

I've never been one of those "mint in box/never open it" type people. I just can't do that. If I am going to spend my hard earned money on something you better believe I'm going to take it out and mess with it.

I have this friend who is that way though. He buys all this stuff, never opens it, and it just stacks up in his garage. I'm always on him about "Let's open this up and check it out!" and he is always "No, it is mint in box and opening it decreases its value". Now, this guy is single with no kids and personally, I'm pretty sure he will always be that way. Sorry, but that is just the way it is. He really has no interest in relationships with women (or men), so I'm pretty sure he is happy being alone. So it is not like he is saving this stuff for a college education for his kids or anything. And he NEVER sells any of it. What is the point?

Why buy all this stuff, keep it, never even look at it, never sell it? It's not like most of the stuff is going to be really worth much anyday anyway. It's not like it is limited editions and such. It's just toys and props and stuff. If you are just buying stuff for the resale value, get into real estate or something.

I could never be like that. I buy something cool, the first thing I am going to do is take it apart, rebuild, repaint it, whatever. To me collecting is not about monetary value. It's about how much fun I can have with it. To me the gratification of holding it, looking at it, working on it, then being proud of what I have done is worth way more to me than some odd handful of dollars I might get for it twenty years from now.

How do you feel about the subject?

Pretty much the same. I felt that way since I was a kid. "What am I going to do about something I'm SOOOO excited about? Just sit and drool over it in the box?"

Of course, I get why people do this too. I guess the smart ones buy two. One to keep mint and one to play with.

That kind of devalued it for me too though. I wanted just one, since it was MINE alone. More of an attachment.

I've never been one of those "mint in box/never open it" type people. I just can't do that. If I am going to spend my hard earned money on something you better believe I'm going to take it out and mess with it.

I have this friend who is that way though. He buys all this stuff, never opens it, and it just stacks up in his garage. I'm always on him about "Let's open this up and check it out!" and he is always "No, it is mint in box and opening it decreases its value". Now, this guy is single with no kids and personally, I'm pretty sure he will always be that way. Sorry, but that is just the way it is. He really has no interest in relationships with women (or men), so I'm pretty sure he is happy being alone. So it is not like he is saving this stuff for a college education for his kids or anything. And he NEVER sells any of it. What is the point?

Why buy all this stuff, keep it, never even look at it, never sell it? It's not like most of the stuff is going to be really worth much anyday anyway. It's not like it is limited editions and such. It's just toys and props and stuff. If you are just buying stuff for the resale value, get into real estate or something.

I could never be like that. I buy something cool, the first thing I am going to do is take it apart, rebuild, repaint it, whatever. To me collecting is not about monetary value. It's about how much fun I can have with it. To me the gratification of holding it, looking at it, working on it, then being proud of what I have done is worth way more to me than some odd handful of dollars I might get for it twenty years from now.

How do you feel about the subject?

How dare you? It's none of your business what someone else does with their stuff. You don't have to get it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back