Salzo Battlestar Galactica half studio scale - 1 meter long

If you look up Randy Cooper on Facebook, he has an extremely well documented build on his page.

Do I need a account to view his build on Facebook?

I try to stay away from Facebook but if I have to get it I will but only for model building and my fellow modelers..

Clarence

Unknown about the account, Google FB and see if you can look him up. FB has a lot of great modeling group pages, similar to forums. You will find more stuff posted there than you will on most forums.

Thanks Robiwon, I will check him out, this will be cool. Just trying to get a plan on things of the build. Thanks Jim

- With a vertical drilling machine, dremel and cutters, I hollowed out the bulk of the hangar ends.

The millings are sanded (as one is missing, so the spacing is incorrect).

the engraving is done.

And millings is redone with T-Channel. For the knees, I just cut the feet of the T to fold the strip on the edge.

The backplate part of the sheds looked undersized.
So I scratched a new one.

It will be re-molded resin later.

The cap is also sanded and re-detailed

For such works, I use mostly an OLFA plastic cutter, a pin (kind of pen with a fixed pin), and a metal ruler as a guide.

-----

The mold walls are done with Lego bricks

Some are unsuccessful (RTV insufficiently mixed) and a second mold was needed.

After resin casting.

Thanks dudes :)

As for selling some resin castings. Well, I don't know yet. but why not. But before, I need to finish the building of this beast.

Reinforcements had to be done to prevent the resin from sagging over time, and a struture to securely hold the parts and elements together.

The creation of the structure went module by module through trials and errors.
It is hard to explain all the steps. it is spread over several weeks and I have not always taken notes.

No glue is used at this stage, everything fits with screws (and there will be dozens of 20 different types). Some remain visible and will simply become details, others will be later hidden behind plastic squares and details

The three main modules are held together with bolts and nuts reinforced with wooden blocks. In the center, a metal pipe (copper here) ensures the alignment of the assembly and will later allow the electric wires to run though.

I look forward to all these updates. I had shoulder surgery last week and will be in a splint for 6 weeks. Every time I just look at my G, my girlfriend yells at me. LOL

Ken

The assembly of the head was the most difficult to design, because of the thickness of the edge, thus adding "clogs" resin so that the screws have the material to hang on.

To prevent it from bending in the future, an aluminum U-channel is screwed to the bottom of the upper part and blocked with a wooden block.

Previously, it needed to sand the contact areas of the two parts so that they are aligned properly.

I "smeared" some resin where I found the thickness a little weak.

I would also be interested in your parts, if you decide to make and sell some parts from your molds. Looking good and have a nice weekend.
Tim

For the cross part on the belly of the central part, I had to fill with resin to be able to screw it.

The belly plate is screwed on the upper part of the central module

To firmly hold the arms, they have two points of attachment to the central body. The first is with a screw from the body.
The second is a bolt made one with the arm: the bolt is inserted in a hole then filled with resin.
A channel is hollow to allow the electric wires to go through the arm to the hangars.

Unlike other modules (designed like a "box" part with a "cover" part), there is broadly a part by side. So this time, these are the parts that have to fit together on the wooden struture and the opposite.
This will ensure the rigidity of the module, but will make it quite heavy.
The underside is installed by screwing with small metal brackets (parts from an old Meccano toys) or aluminum L-channel.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back