TMNT Casey Jones (Nickelodeon version) 6 year old costume - WIP

Mojo_Turbo

So this year my son and I are going to have a "Jones-themed" Halloween. I am going to be Indiana Jones and he is going to be Casey Jones. Ironically, I was the Elias Koates (movie) version of Casey Jones when I was much younger, but back then the costume was only a pair of sweat pants, a tshirt and a vest.

"A Jose Canseco bat? Don't tell me you paid money for this." ~ Raphael

The Nickelodeon Casey is much more "involved."

Casey Jones References (Morgue)

First we will start with the basic under carriage
tmntcaseyjonesnew_2_zps487f3b5d.jpg
-3 layered shirt with paint splatter (black hoodie, gray tshirt, maroon long sleeved shirt)
-jeans
-converse white tipped shoes
-cut off biker gloves
-black bandanna
-& Knee and elbow pads

* I found all of the soft components on ebay for less than $4 an item

Next the weapons
TMNT-Comic-Con-2013-Casey-Jones-1-560x315_zps9ffc1776.jpg
Two hockey sticks - hockey sticks are expensive new and would look gigantic on a first grader. So I found mini souvenir sticks on Amazon. They are 21" long and made of wood.

Casey also has a baseball bat (not pictured) and so I did the same thing, found a smaller 17" wooden bat, more my son's size.

The Armor
tmnt-8_zps6e45b884.png
The Shoulder paulderon and belts, I will have to fabricate from scratch

TMNT-Casey-Jones-01_zps882b0225.jpg
I will also fabricate a custom "realistic" backpack that will hold and display all 3 weapons for easy trick or treating

The Helmet.
I'm taking the easy route and just buying the play "dress-up" mask. It's already his size, already has the right design and that way he has something to play with as I am putting it all together

I will be excluding the large goalie styled gloves as they won't be conducive to Halloween play.

Well, I have a lot of items being shipped to me in the mail, as things start arriving and as I begin fabricating, I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

"Go Ninja, Go Ninja - GO!"

Ok the first part of my gear has come in. I already got the mini-baseball bat. Modding it was easy.

1. I sanded off all the logos
2. Sprayed it dark brown
3. Re-sanded it to add wear
4. Wrapped the handle in grip tape

So far I only have the soft parts, the mask and the bat. I think I have determined that he'll look more "friendly" if I find a way to tip the mask back on his head and expose his cute face. Right now he looks like a thug

20140828_165820_zps543818e5.jpg

ok, the hockey sticks came in and they look great! Real wood and the perfect length for a 6 year old torso!

20140829_152207_zps1c61bc49.jpg

Modding
1. Sandpaper logo off
2. Hand writting the East-MaN logo on both sides with sharpie
3. Sanding again
4 Spray paint age
5. Drag over concrete
6. Wrap in white tape
7. Spray paint age a second time

20140830_135134_zps7c9cdb10.jpg

This is awesome! I'm planning on making my son a Nick Donatello costume for Halloween with me and my wife going as Casey and April respectively. I'm definitely going to be following your thread for tips and tricks!

Ok, so the next thing was to paint (graffiti) all of the soft parts/ I used a combination of neon puffy paints both diluted in a spray bottle and raw

20140920_123903_zps65b21635.jpg

I lalso used spray paint to create a more natural look

20140920_123910_zps304c0b7f.jpg

On the black hoodie, I had to use a base coat of white spray paint just so that the second layer bright colors didn't sink in and get lost

20140920_123914_zps51d54d5a.jpg

I had to let me son do a lot of the painting, because he wanted to help make his own costume, and I can't say no to that, so what if it ends up looking cartoonish?

20140920_123917_zps2bca72fb.jpg

Of course everything will need a second brighter coat later

Ok, all the soft parts got a second coat of paint (and I had to clean up a lot of the messy look that my son made with his application) and so there are only a few things left to fabricate - namely the shoulder pad, belts and ammo cases.

1. got a black bandanna for the head gear

_12_zpsd6aaf4be.jpg

2. Bought an XS hockey shoulder pad shirt

KGrHqRiQFCT7eUjGBQwT0dijLQ60_12_zpse91ec2c9.jpg

I'm basically going to rip off one shoulder pad and mod it.

3. Bought 2 ammo pockets from an army surplus supplier

T2eC16VzEE9s3YZGbBRRN2rT60_12_zps62d40fa4.jpg

Now will come the process of getting two leather belts and putting it all together, not to mention figuring out a way to fabricate something to hold the hockey sticks in so that they don't become an "issue" during trick or treating.

Got the shoulder pads in the mail and cut off the left one...

painted it white

20141001_161732_zps4c244046.jpg

drilled holes in it and installed these spikes

20141006_163646_zpsca721918.jpg

military pockets we bought were too big, I repurchased a duo pistol clip holder in army green - here is the latest test shot

20141017_155152_zps26p4i3am.jpg

things left to do:

1. Get one more belt and attach it

2. attach the hockey sticks to the belts

Seven that's a great idea although....

1. I suck at painting
2. I don't want spray paint fumes near his face / breathing all night
3. It's the one part of the costume that's actually a "toy" and he could play with it after the holidays

Progress:

Bought a second belt from thrift store, bought 3/4 nuts and bolts, hammered new belt holes in the tongues of the belt and then drilled through the hockey sticks so that they could be mounted on the belts, so they'd lay flat and so that they would not come off.... ever

20141024_083031_zpsyct0wckz.jpg

Oh... and I am done. Full body costume shots tonight

for this test shot we forgot the arm pads and knee pads

20141024_173253_zpsighkaiqd.jpg

Later at the halloween party we took him to the entire back harness drifted to one side, so I have since added a few more bolts and some leather wrap to help make it more "lived in"

OK, last update as this thread isn't getting any love. Next time I'll build Iron Man armor....

Full costume with Mask (but we won't wear the mask on halloween)

20141027_172951_zps273ae98f.jpg

Posing with his brother - Dopey from Snow White

20141027_172310_zps33f08e9a.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back