Mystery Men Shoveler Build

Wallabe

Hey Guys,
Mystery Men has been my favorite movie since I was little, and I've wanted to do this costume ever since I got into the hobby. I've been working on it for more than a year now, but I'm finally starting to make some good ground on it.
I started with the helmet, so I'll start with that here too. Originally I bought a modern Bullard hard hat (without a doubt the brand used in the movie) and bought a headlamp that kind of sort of worked. I made a helmet with them, but there was a lot I was unhappy with. (I'll show off that first helmet in some comparison pics). After watching the movie on Blu-ray for the first time, I noticed a lot of little details, and decided to start again. After a lot of searching, the only best match I could find for the hard hat was Bullard's "hard-boiled" aluminum hard hat. I couldn't find a proper match for the headlamp, but I did find a much closer match. The third image shows the two together along with my first helmet.
IMG_2774_zps6a8420dd.jpgIMG_2772_zps7efb5ca2.jpgIMG_2776_zps26eb4011.jpg

I painted the hard hat using Rustoleum's paint and primer Marigold spray paint. It wasn't an exact match, but it was the best I could find. It was way too shiny after paint, so I went over it with a really fine steel wool. After that, I painted on some black Model Masters paint and took some of that off with the steel wool to really weather it. My goal was to make the helmet look almost like it was made of a yellow metal, to match the look of the original, and I think I captured that. (I should note that the weathered pic doesn't reflect the final version because I had to repaint and re-weather the helmet. I never took new pics of just the hard hat though)
DSCF0346_zpsf916b03e.jpghelmet_weathered_zps8a5692b0.jpg

For the headlamp, I knew I had to use some sort of automotive paint. In the Blu-ray, the headlamp's paint clearly had some metallic quality. The color I went with is kind of sparkly and not as good of a match as I had hoped, but I'm still very happy with it. Shown below is a comparison to a test swatch i made on styrene. I painted the top piece just with a flat black. To give it the miner look seen in the movie, I first removed the lense. In its place, I put two pieces of lighting gel cut to shape. Over that, I cut a piece of hardware cloth to fit snug. I then painted the hardware cloth black as well before the final fitting.
headlamp_comp_zpscecc3a9c.jpgDSCF0351_zps356d8602.jpg

Looking at the screen-used helmet and going off my experience making my second one, I really believe that the straps were purely decorative and not supportive or load bearing. I tried to replicate that in my build. The headlamp is held in place with a screw and nylon-insert lock nut going through the back of the battery box and into the hard hat. I used a red elastic strap for the straps I don't believe the original was elastic, but I've yet to find the right material. I haven't found any shots of the yellow helmet with stitches in the straps and since they're decorative, i attached them this time with fabric glue. It's held down in the back with a 6-32 acorn nut. I'm not sure what they used in the movie, but there's clearly some sort of fitting or rivet holding it down, and I think the nut does a good job of capturing the look.
P8210022_zpse02650b1.jpg P8210026_zpsfbb6ffdb.jpg

Below is my comparison pic. In the top row, it goes: my first helmet, my current helmet, and the screen-used helmet. In the bottom row, it goes: my first helmet and my current helmet. Unfortunately, I don't have any good, hi-res pics of the back of the screen-used helmet. You can't see the rigging, but the first helmet has a blue and yellow rigging that really sticks out. My new one and the movie helmet both have subtler, gray riggings, although mine isn't totally accurate. That isn't why I settled on an aluminum helmet though. It's hard to see, but the first helmet has a lip on the top edge of the brim. This is a trait it shares with every Bullard hard, except the aluminum ones and movie hard hat, I've ever seen. The new one has a rounded lip on the bottom, a trait it shares with the movie hard hat. This is something not present in any other kind of Bullard hard hat I've seen. Additionally, you can see how the fins are distinct in the first helmet, but blended in the other two. The aluminum hard hat has two inaccuracies; it has six rivets and the rigging is different. In my searches, though (http://www.proparchives.com/comedy/...lliam-h-macy-shoveler-helmet-from-mystery-men), I found the claim that the movie hard hats were resin. Based upon that, and the fact that the aluminum hard hat is the ONLY close match I've been able to find, I believe they took an aluminum hard hat and modified it to accept a "modern" rigging before making a mold.
three_helmet_comparison_zps54026c28.jpg

I've seen people argue that the shovel used in the movie was a chrome ceremonial shovel. They might be right, but a buddy and I went over references, and chrome almost seemed too shiny. Instead, we decided polished steel would be better. After some looking, the only shovel I could find that fit everything I needed was one that was pretty rusty. Below are my "before" pictures. It's not totally finished, but i've taken a lot of the rust off down to the silver steel beneath, and applied Maas polish for protection until I can finish.
IMG_2782_zpse93ab3e6.jpgIMG_2780_zps3e986e5b.jpgIMG_2778_zpsd86d565c.jpg

For the shirt, I'm just using a denim shirt I found whose buttons matched the movie shirt. For welder's sleeves, I'm using Caiman sleeves. They'll need some modifications, but they're the closest off the rack that I've been able to find. Below is a progress shot of everything I have so far.
P8240080_zps0da16353.jpg

The big things I still need are the belt/harness and the catcher's pads. The belt/harness are on commission from a friend of mine. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the pads. I haven't found a pair online after like a year of searching, and apparently it'll take an "industrial" sewing machine to make a set, so I'm still looking for someone who can do it. After that are the little things. I need gloves, knee pads, and boots, but those should be easy finds.

That's everything I've got so far. I'd love to hear any feedback as well as suggestions or recommendations for anything. I hope you enjoy this build.

Good work so far... looking forward to seeing your completed costume. Mystery Men is a guilty pleasure of mine too. In fact.. I may dig it out and give it another re-watch!

Very cool!

Maybe the chrome shovel is the one from the end of the movie? I recall him switching and the new one was really shiny.

Also, what blue paint is that on the lamp?

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.

There's definitely differences in the shovels, at least as far as weathering goes. It's hard to really say for sure.

The blue paint on the lamp is Dupli-Color Metal Specks Ocean Blue

Again, thanks for the compliments guys. Not much to speak of in the way of updates at the moment, but my leather guy should be starting the belt/harness soon, and I'm still chasing down leads for the pads.

Fantastic work! I wore my Shoveler costume for the first time at Dragon*Con this year. I hope you like it.

The catcher's vest and scabbard were made by Chris Warrilow of Fantastic Creations. http://www.fantasticcreations.ca/
Thanks man, that means a lot coming from you. Yours has gotta be the best Shoveler I've seen so far. I actually emailed Fantastic Creations on Tuesday about getting set up with a vest, and I'm waiting to hear back. I don't know if you remember or not, but a friend of mine messaged me with all their info, saying he got it from a shoveler cosplayer.

I have some small updates for this project. My leather guy is working on the belt/holster. Right now I'm looking for gloves, and I'll also grab kneepads when I have the cash. I've also purchased a temporary catcher's chest pad to get me through Halloween.

The pads won't be one in time for Halloween, but I'm finally making progress with them. I contacted the prop guy cplbaldwin recommended, but I'm still waiting to hear back on an eta and price estimate. Because of that, my friend convinced me to try again with the materials I have, this time doing it by hand with a Speedy Stitcher. I'm using vinyl fabric, upholstery thread, and 1/2 foam. So far I'm really happy with the results.
PA190083_zps0d879f3e.jpg

I've got some small updates for this project. First of all, I've got the insides of the second of the three pads done. I'm hoping to get the pattern traced onto the third tonight or tomorrow morning so I can start sewing.
PA240101_zps984d27af.jpg

Below is the costume as of Halloween. I'm very happy with how it looks thus far, but I do want to note that more of the pieces here are temporary than not. As I've mentioned, I'm working on more accurate catcher's pads. I'm also working on modifying the welder's sleeves to be a little more accurate. The gloves are a cheap temporary pair, I've found a pair that is almost dead on in accuracy, though I need to save up because they are quite expensive. I found a good pair of knee pads, and those are back home waiting for me. With my next update, I'll post pics of them weathered with yellow paint. The jeans and boots (the latter not being pictured) are also temporary; to make the rest of the project feasible in time for Halloween, I had to use what I had. Finally there's the shovel holster. I'm still waiting on it from my leather guy. Because of that, I'm wearing the shovel on a sling/belt I sewed together quickly just to get me through Halloween.
PA310132_zpsbb45560b.jpg

I'll be working on this as I can in the next few weeks, and I'm expecting to have very big update, one which I'm very much looking forward to.

I've got a big update that I'm really excited for. First of all, the back pads are completely sewn, and the chest pad just needs the trim.
PC160154.JPGP1060190.JPG

Secondly, after years of looking, I found a headlamp that is an almost exact replica of the one used in the movie. As you can see, the only inaccuracy is the design of the knob. I was beyond excited when I stumbled across this. Using this headlamp, I intend to get as accurate as possible, and I'd love to hear any suggestions on a material for the red strap that matches better than red elastic.
headlamp1.jpgheadlamp3.jpgheadlmp2.jpg

Wow. i had that green/camo headlamp as a kid. It's long gone now. great build so far.
That's too funny. It's crazy how ordinary some of these prop parts were back when the movie came out, and now have to really be sought out. I have to say though, I'm really impressed with the design of this headlamp. And thanks!

I've made some progress, the chest pad is now completely sewn. Next step is finding what size eyelets I need and ordering those up. I have a fairly heavy duty eyelet press back home, so setting them shouldn't be a problem.
10570565_10205817398777761_6815830609576862683_n.jpg

Last edited:
Much love for The Bowler. Great Shovelers guys! :thumbsup

Thanks!

The headlamp is painted, and once it's fully cured (another 3 days), I'll start sewing the strap. After I primed it, I used Duplicolor's Metalcast silver undercoat followed by a metal cast blue. The third picture shows it done, with the last being a comparison to a screen used headlamp.

P7130217.JPG
P7130228.JPG
P7150262.JPG
headlamp_comp2.jpg

Some more progress for the build. The headlamp is now attached and the straps are done, making the helmet finish. The first pic is just the front of the finished helmet. The second is a comparison front and back with (a) screen-used helmet(s). I chose to cut up a tee shirt for the strap this time along. After finishing it, it's clearly not the exact material used in the movie, but it's clearly a far better match than elastic. I chose not to protect the ends from fraying, because if you look closely you can see some in the front comparison pic. Looking at the screencap from the back, I'm also feeling much more confident that an acorn nut was the right pick.

The third picture is a screenshot from the blu-ray I'm including because it does a fantastic job of highlighting some of the harder to pick out details that I've matched. First of all, I think it does a good job of showing the metallic nature of the headlamp's paint job. It also shows how the straps taper off from the headlamp, as well as they aren't totally even. Additionally, you can clearly see two lines running the length of the strap. I'm not totally sure why they're there (maybe to add strength, they clearly didn't fold the ends over and sew them) but this is why you can see stitches running through my strap in the back pic.

P7170268.JPG

helmet_comparison_final.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-05-02-15h08m23s545.jpg

I also met with my leather guy and started on the pads. We even managed to get some of the straps set. We also got all the holes punched and all the straps cut out. I just need more rivets and a bunch of d-rings to get the rest installed. Unfortunately the whole process will take a while, as he noticed that the straps are not only riveted to the pads, but also sewn.

P7200305.JPG

Wallabe, I commend you for your work at replicating the most worthy of superheroes, The Shoveler. I'm sorry I hadn't seen this thread earlier. Your attention to detail and efforts toward true accuracy impresses me and you've done an outstanding job with the information you've had to work with.
I believe I can help you out with some of the details:

1. You are correct. The strap is decorative and not supporting the lamp. The lamp was attached to the helmet with some type of epoxy and two screws through the back of the battery box.

2. The strap material is difficult to describe. It is not elastic at all. It feels a bit like a strip cut from the outer shell of a red/orange raincoat. The edges are raw, but there are two rows of stiches through the middle.

3. Again you are correct. The metal item in the back is in fact an acorn nut. It is, however, more like 5/16.

4. The head lamp was made by Fuji-Toki Co., Ltd. Model FC-200. Not sure where you might find a current source. The one you've got looks really, really close.

Again, well done. I look forward to seeing your progress. Give a shout if you hit a snag. I might be able to help.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back