X-2: X-Men United_Jean Grey build (Blue Team 'Field Jacket' ensemble)-_Pic Heavy

Wolverony

Hey forum.

Thought I'd post an additional thread to my Wolverine X-1 Canadian outback build for those interested to check out. So as a few of you guys who follow my exploits know (as a relative newbie round these here parts), my girlfriend is going with me to Comic Con NYC in October as Jean Grey.

Rather than doing the Black battle suit, she opted for a somewhat more unique take on the character from X-2 instead of X-1; going for the Post-Magneto X-Jet save and landing/ Camp-out Blue Team Field Jacket (scenes) that a few of the characters throw on during their pit stop, as well as a few points through the remainder of the Alkali lake scenes (Rogue would be a good example here keeping hers on till about the end/ Pyro, etc).

The Jacket is technically "Unisex" but there are cut and fit differences on the female characters wearing them, in comparison to say Logan's, for his brief time in his.

For Jean, and at least Storm (as far as I can tell), there is also an unusual feature- a small, Chevron-zipped tool patch affixed to the left arm. Seems these girls are the only ones qualified to fix the systems on the X-Jet.

So here to start the thread is my first sketch for the wardrobe designer Erin's brought on board to do the project from scratch. He's also doing Logan's X-1 Lumberjack shirt for me (after we found the virtualy identical matching material and pattern to the original Hugh Jackman shirt), so this will be an interesting thread. I may overlap the two here and there as we will be doing numerous fittings and seeing mock-ups constructed of both before the final builds.We've supplied him with all the existing screen grabs, and online images we could find as well as the films obviously to scan through, freeze, what have you.

Eventually I'm going to have my own built as well for a nice change of pace with Logan, but as the pattern's fit is different for the women's garment, it will be a complex build there for Logan too. Eventually we'll have both the male and female patterns in our arsenal so we're really stoked overall.

For now, we're only building Jean's. I've also enclosed a very accurate (who'd have thought) X-Belt I found that seems to match up perfectly to the buckle Jean and Storm wear in these scenes.

Wish us luck!

Pics when available...and soon!

Jean Grey Build.jpg

First Muslin mock-up fitting for Erin's (Jean Grey's) Field Jacket (and the Logan X-1 lumberjack shirt) this Sunday with our costume designer at 10:00 A.M.

Video and stills will follow and be posted here ohm the RPF. Wish us luck!

E and T

Comic Con2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! The blue jackets are sweet lookin and can't wait to see how it works out! Good luck!

Thanks @Jleezy.

UPDATE!!!

We just got the screen accurate blue fabric-match for Jean's (Erin's) Field-Jacket, as well as screen accurate zipper(s) and zipper-rings for both the front vent, wrist vents as well as the (left-arm) chevron utility-pouch.

The fabric, which matches surface-color refraction in every lighting scheme, in each scene of the film where its featured (from light cobalt when fully lit under heavy flashlight spots, sunlit conditions, etc., to deep almost indego blue in darker and night set ups) is fantastic, and is the correct weight to the originals, all of which was the real challenge to get right.

...annnnnd, drumroll...the "mother of pearl" snaps for my X-1 lumberjack shirt!

Pics and first fitting video of BOTH to follow after Sunday.

IMG_6371.jpgIMG_6367.jpgIMG_6370.JPGIMG_6411.jpgIMG_6384 master.jpgIMG_6412.jpgLOGAN SHIRT.jpg

Comic Con2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6386master.jpg
    IMG_6386master.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
First Field Jacket and Lumberjack shirt fitting video coming soon!

It went GREAT! Better than we or I had hoped for!

Next week we'll have a first look at both of our human hair wigs from HERO HAIR!

us.jpg

Hey Forum!

It's been a crazy week with Erin and I and our costume builds and fittings. I'm prepping a full dual post update here including heavy pics, video and lots more as we gear-up for Con with only less than 4 weeks to go!

In the meantime, I though I'd say thanks to all who have helped us here on the forum with info to date and for your support, and post a few pics and screen grabs from last weekend's fitting(s). I'm communing these here until I can post the Wolverine specific stuff in the Wolverine thread.

The full update will be posted after Sunday's second fitting, as we'll have Erin's complete mock up finished and my X-1 Leather is arriving Monday.

Please note: The materials here we are being fitted with are, again, muslin and a dark denim for Erin's Jacket. These are not the actual fabrics that will be used in the final garments. I am holding my pre-distressed/pre-tinted tartan for the eventual shirt being fitted here (in the tan muslin) and you can see me holding the actual blue fabric for Erin's X-2 Jacket in front of her over my arm as she's being fitted for comparison.

Thanks to everyone! Wish me (us) luck in these last few weeks getting this all done.

My X-1 arrives Monday night. I'm on needles until I get it on. Custom build, fully fitted/tailored to my exact measurements. Just freaked I'm going to finally see it. I received pictures from the maker and it looks great.

I'll be doing a full procedural weathering and distressing video for anyone interested and will post on the Wolverine three when completed.

I also got my first look at my custom, human hair "Berserker" wig being built by the amazing Hero Hair (www.herohair.com) and its progress is looking amazing!

Best and enjoy these few pics until next week's full update.

Travis and Erin

PS- The jeans here on me are not the final. Just temporary for a comparison series I'm working up to the Levi's I just ordered, and because the costume designer needed to see what the shirt was going under. So I threw them on.

Erin's pants are also temps, and the tank top will obviously be black...

screenshot_114.pngscreenshot_115.pngIMG_6626.jpgIMG_6631.jpgIMG_6433.JPGIMG_6435.JPGIMG_6443.jpgIMG_6454.JPGIMG_6449.jpgIMG_6488.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

More...

IMG_6474.JPGIMG_6492.JPGIMG_6455.JPGIMG_6503.JPGIMG_6507.JPGIMG_6682.JPGIMG_6689.JPG

Last edited:
Erin's Jean Grey X-2 hair reference for her custom wig from HeroHair.com

Also, the corrected, photoshop X-patch shoulder emblem for the custom patch maker I found on Etsy.

Just some small stuff for now. Our costume designer will be here in half an hour with the actual garment fabric mock-up for the first time (Field Jacket)!

Jean Grey Build3.jpgJean Grey X-2 Hair reference.jpg

Here we go...Images directly below...

The Jean Grey X-2 Field Jacket.

Second fitting.
Paper template of shoulder patch placement and build continues.

The interesting and most difficult aspect of this garment, from a screen accuracy standpoint, is the color. More specifically, matching the color where light refraction is concerned. Because by its nature, the screen jacket(s)-( plural here because there are a number of them worn by both male and female characters throughout X-2-) shift nearly entirely throughjout the blue spectrum given any particular lighting source, and in any respective scene of the film.

More so than I have ever seen, and our costume designer agrees.

It's also why I have enclosed a couple of the many (and I do mean many) reference shots here to illustrate next to Erin's bright light under the bulb fitting shots. Which, thankfully, demonstrate exactly what's going on here when compared to the two key scene. One on the X-Jet (worn by Rogue) and one in the Alkali Lake way system tube (Logan/Mystique).

The true blue of the Jacket is a deep, very intense cobalt. But the refractory nature of the fabric itself ( won't go into this for sake of time at the moment) goes , again dependent on the lighting conditions, as deep and flat as dark, saturated Navy and/or Midnight (such as in the campfire scenes and then subtly lighter when we board the X-Jet) and as light as a drab almost powder (as seen here under the flashlight on Logan's back).

In both of the new images of Erin, all ranges of these hues are present and accounted for from light to shadow. The fact that we had to not only match the screen color, but the behind the scenes color (that being the actual "theatrical" levels present in production clothing before it is photographed for film, which are generally more saturated than most people are aware of, and where that photographic process invariably dulls those tones down to a noticeable degree, was really challenging, but also extremely rewarding once we saw the accuracy in the photo sessions now taking place as the build(s) continue through to ComicCon.

***Note*** the X-emblem shoulder patch template being affixed for measurement purposes is NOT the final design (which has a darkened second border as well as subtle thickness variations on the "X" Logo compared to the inner blue boarder). But it was the first time I've seen that detail come to life, so I chose to post the pictures for prosperity...and the cool factor.

Note also patch template is being affixed to the right arm for fitting and measurement only. The final patch goes on the left side of the finished garment. As will be the bullet-utility zip- pouch below it, which the ruler is in place of here in these two photos.

Next week brings the final fitting where all seams, snaps zippers and patches begin to be applied. While looking great, we have a long way to go in a short amount of time.
Thanks for looking and more to come in the full build video posted here on the RPF.

x-jacket1.jpgX jacket2.jpgRogue.jpgRogue2.jpg

x-jacket1.jpg

X jacket2.jpg

Rogue.jpg

Rogue2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: Here we GO!

Erin's Cosplay outfit and her custom built, lace-front HERO HAIR "Telepath" wig ( X-II version- www.herohair.com)- ALBUM_01- 90% completion.

Here she is for the first time, geared up in roughly 90% of her outfit.
The hand-made, custom "Telepath" wig from Hero Hair, seen here, has just been cut, fresh off the block from its week's long build and has not yet been screen accurately styled or set. Once it has been, it will be a dead on match to the screen bob.

The blue field jacket is nearing completion, and the functional, left arm utilities and bullet dart pocket are perfect!

Tank and pants are a dead on match as well.
Great Job Leonard!!!

Jean Grey_01.jpgJean Grey_02.jpgJean Grey_03.jpgJean Grey+04.jpg

Jean Grey_01.jpg

Jean Grey_02.jpg

Jean Grey_03.jpg

Jean Grey+04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back